Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, I completed this aberration Yesterday. The metal version 02838, of the Faceless Horror sculpted by Julie Guthrie. The number of eyes and teeth on this model is phenomenal. It is not an easy monster to deal with. However, I had a lot of fun painting it. I painted the inside of the mouth prior to assembling and I used Reaper MSP paints only.
I started painting this aberration during Geoff Davis' class on painting eyes at Reaper Virtual Expo. This was the perfect mini to practice the techniques which have been explained. I also had a lot of fun painting all those toothy smiles and the skin in various colors.
I wanted to depict the monster in its natural environment. So, after gluing the Gibbering mouther on a 50mm base, I simply added gravel and stone blocs to complete the scene. I finally added drooling saliva using translucent supports and Mod Podge.
I've managed to steal away for long enough to put together another photo from the series I took the other day. This time its Reapers take on the intellect devourer. I painted it with the help of my son, who was excited to use "Clear Magenta." The "clear" series has become very popular in our house because they add a nice bright pop, even when used sparingly.
I had seen this model disparaged on the internet some years ago, but I actually think it is an excellent interpretation - very alien and it fits with reapers portfolio of similar creatures well. I prefer the insect like scythe legs over a dog body, for sure (so many dog monsters already). That it is available in bones is all the better. I foresee needing to repose a few at some point to create a pack of them.
Finally finished the Gravewailers. Bought two ages ago and then the Bones 3 Mythos ex-pack had one. So I waited until I got the third one before painting. Seems I started on them ages ago. But things kept getting in the way to finish. Including my cat who decided they were delicious to nibble and suck on.
Rather then doing in pink and reds. Decided I wanted to go for something a little more alien and starspawn like. So tried to make them purple with the look of bluish light showing from within. Trying to get that alien Lovecraftian feel of something beyond explanation. LOL think I need some sleep. Hopefully not about anything Lovecraftian :)
My Mum the other day gave me a heap...well actually ALOT of fimo that my Dad had bought when he was alive as he was going to make beads to sell alongside his wood work creations. Was bored the other night and remembered that my GM asked to see if I could sculpt some kind of Eye Tyrant or Beholder out of some of it. This is the first attempt. Ended up being a little cartoon-y. Reminds me of something from Simpsons or Futurama. Is a bit of a WIP. Never sculpted before other then making bases. So this is my first attempt using fimo.
I bought this pair of Pre-KS Bones over a year ago, but they got put to one side for most of that time when I had to pack up to move, then move, and unpack and so forth. Recently I finished them, and finally we had some decent light, so today they got photographed.
There's a bit of mould line that I missed on one of them. Noticed it when it was too late, and I didn't want to butcher my paint in order to fix it. You barely notice in person, anyway.
I used some Woodland Scenics Water Effects to create the beginning of the "drool", some WC Realistic Water over the top to smooth it out, and some Vallejo Model Colour Clear Yellow to add a touch of colour to the discharge.
These suckers took awhile to get going, but once I actually sat down to make myself paint them they were quite an enjoyable experience. Originally they were all-purple, then I looked up the D&D colouration, which said they had yellow bellies/undersides, which I thought would look far too cartoony, but it kept bothering me. A day or two later I came back to them and used some sand and ochre shared for the "yellow" to make them look much more like natural colouration, and it worked for me. I used some pinky-purple for the transition ridge between the ochre and the main dark bluish-purple for the main body.
One of the things I enjoyed most was the fact that since these are cheap Bones models, I allowed myself to play with them a lot more. I used drybrushing, blending, a purple oil paint wash at one stage, the aforementioned realistic water products, and a few weathering powders in the end. Basically a lot of experimentation and "play", and I think they turned out pretty successful in the end!
More pics on my blog, including a scale shot with a SM, an Orc and a Gobbo. I didn't want to overdo it here...
Who's Online 13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)