OK, I tried to smooth out the blends on the sash, and I fixed those dabs of red on the epaulets (though the photos show I need another layer to completely cover them). I also finally painted the devil and the flames. I think the flames still need work, but is there anything else I should touch up?

Oh, and that streak of red on the devil's shoulder plate armor is NOT THERE. When I saw the photo, I ran to get the mini, to see if I accidentally streaked it with red, but no. I’m holding it in my hand right now, and it is not there. I keep looking back and forth between the miniature and the photograph, trying to figure out what camera angle could make it look that way, but I’m at a loss. So, just trust me, there is no red streak. Hopefully, the next set of photos will turn out right.

post-4823-0-93933000-1340416960_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh pretty!

Those wings look even better. And I love the armor on the devil; the greens look awesome.

As for the flames, you've done them backwards, I think. Flame gets darker as it rises; there's more heat at the base of the flame. Here's a great tutorial with explanations and step-by-stepping; this is one of the first tuts I ever printed out and put in a binder to have at a moment's notice: http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm

The blue cloth is really gorgeous; whatever glazing you're doing is working there, like whoa! This is turning into a really beautiful piece.

• Like 1

As for the flames, you've done them backwards, I think. Flame gets darker as it rises; there's more heat at the base of the flame. Here's a great tutorial with explanations and step-by-stepping; this is one of the first tuts I ever printed out and put in a binder to have at a moment's notice: http://hot-lead.org/...fire_theory.htm

Aaaahh! Rats, you're right. I actually looked at that very tutorial before I started, and I remembered it backwards. I am kicking myself right now!!! Grrr...

Oooh pretty!

[snip]

Those wings look even better. And I love the armor on the devil; the greens look awesome.

The blue cloth is really gorgeous; whatever glazing you're doing is working there, like whoa! This is turning into a really beautiful piece.

Thank you very much! I am pretty happy with how St. Michael is turning out.

Re: Streak of red on the shoulder -- That might be a JPEG compression artifact. I don't know how you process your pictures before uploading them, but if you're using some handy-dandy automatic program that's compressing things "for the web," and it compresses a bit too much, then with a lower-resolution image with fine details, some of it is going to be glitched by the results of compression, picking up "scatter" from other colors in the image. It's less noticeable in areas of low contrast, but can be quite distracting in areas of high contrast.

That's a good theory, but I checked the full-size JPG off the camera, which is only one step short of RAW, so it's high resolution, and it was still there.

I actually think I've figured it out now. Right over the devil's shoulder you can see the edge of a red flame beside a white cloud. The camera angle was just right to make the cloud look like part of the shoulder plate, and the red flame like a streak.

Awesome job, Joy. Everything is spot on; however, (and you're going to hate me for this :devil: ) the flames really need OSL to fully sell them as flames, especially with the white cloud right there and him immersed in them. 2-cents, take it for what it is worth.

Andy

Sanael: no, I'm so glad you did! I would have felt much worse if I realized the error after he made it to Show-Off,or worse, after bringing him to a show!

Andy: There is OSL on the devil's armor. Apparently that isn't obvious. Any ideas on how I can improve it? And thank you! If I didn't want advice, I wouldn't ask for it, so keep the critiques coming!

Great job, MamaGeek! Been following this for a bit and I have to say I'm not dissapointed with the final result.

On the subject of flames I have to agree with TaleSpinner. Just like with smoke, I'm assuming that the flames would sorta "light up" the clouds just like you see in explosions or clould to cloud lightning. Don't know how to go about painting that...but I think if you could, that would totally sell the effect. The clouds just seem too "untainted" considering that there are flames right next to them.

Maybe dull orange or red glazes in the crevices of the clouds to simulate the clouds being on top of the flames. You could maybe do a bit more heavy duty OSL work on the side of the coulds facing the open flames. Just a suggestion, but like I said, never had to do anything like that so I dunno ::P: .

I finally finished this up. I need to print a label to glue on the front. Then I'll take final pictures and post them in Show Off. I made the flames pinkish, so they're less neon now, and added more OSL.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!