Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Dragon mini question

f8004a.jpg

Anyone ever see this mini?? Just curious on how big he is?? Love the head on that one, wings I could do without, but that head is what I think make him great

He's a Rawcliffe mini, so he's someone else mini, any idea who's he is? Grenadeir? Reaper? Ral Partha??

later

Randy M

It's probably a Ral Partha, but it could be Grenadier. I haven't seen Rawcliffe do many Grenadier dragons.

I am pretty certain that that is the Copper Dragon made by Ral PArtha for TSR's, 'Coucil of Wyrms' setting. Hopefully Ironwind has the mold to it now, as well as the Brass Dragon they had at one point.

It is the ral Partha Copper dragon, item number 11-587. Found it in an old cataloge I have here. And with luck Iron Wind Metal does have it and will be producing it!

LT

thanks Lady Tam

I kinda got out of minis, when that genre/part of TSR came out, thus I really didn't see what came out around that time for Partha.

As I've seen thou minis, would be too small for I would want to use him for, still love that head scuplt thou!!

Randy M

If it was a TSR dragon, the molds were distroyed on the order of Wizards of the Coast :angry:

Unless some special deal was made for Rawcliff to produce it.

If it was one of Partha's dragons, it may still be available.

Good luck!

Supposedly many molds were destroyed, by whom I am not sure. I have heard several versions. But I personlly don't know if theses stories are true since Iron Wind Metals has a large number of the Ral Partha molds and have started to produce them. They current;y have the partha classics, Shadow run figs, cromson skies and battle tech figs listed on thier site. They are getting ready to launch the Crucible and Ral partha Historilcal by the end of the year. You can check 'em out here Iron Wind. Exactly what molds they got? I don't know, but they did get some of the old Partha molds.

Lady Tam

I think what Flit was refering to was the offical AD&D line of mins that Partha was producing for TSR. As I understand it, when TSR was bought by WOTC Partha was still under liscence to produce the minis, however, WOTC wanted to bring the mini production in house. So, they chose not to renew Partha's liscence. At that point, since the minis were under lisence through TSR I think that WOTC had the right to ask for or ask for the original molds to be destroyed under the intellectual property copywrite. A lot of this is second hand info so I would take it with a grain of salt, but when I was at Origins I did ask the Iron Wind team if they would be producing any of the old offical D&D mins and I was told no that no one had the liscence and as such could produce them.

Eh well, while some of the old RP AD&D minis were excellent, they don't really fit in with the current generation of fantasy figures, so their loss is not as acute to me. The real unfortunate thing, however, is the fact that while Wotc decided to move the mini line in-house, they've so far bungled every attempt with them. The original D&D line was good, but short lived, and the Chainmail line was pretty good too but was killed when it couldn't out-compete GW's line of games. Now they bring out the collectable plastic line, and I predict it won't last either.

It's a good thing Reaper is putting out "near D&D" figures, or I'd be lost...

Damon.

The real scary part Lars is that the plastic line is actually selling well from all the accounts I've gotten and they are just about to add an expansion back to it revolving around dragon like minis, including draconians.

the plastic ones are painted and ready to play for the lazy

But it uses it's new miniatures rules, some people can't paint very well, or don't have time to paint a lot, and it provides several figures cheaper than metal would cost. A friend of mine uses some mage knight figures to fill in in his games, and he can paint quite well, just doesn't have enough time and money. I would not look at them as "PC-type" miniatures, but to populate towns and dungeons, why not?

Well, I bought a couple of boosters to check them out myself, and while the paint jobs are not as spectacular as what I can achieve, I'll attempt a quick, non-biased review.

The paint jobs are not technically spectacular, but are for the most part very clean, cleaner than what Wizkids can achieve with its product. The plastic is VERY flexible, but carries some good detail, and the molding technology is actually somewhat impressive (anyone familiar with plastic molding technology would understand). Not as good as resin or even metal, its still very good for the product in question, with the mail detail (FREX) on one of the dwarf figures actually wrapping around the edges! Very well executed. Also, I'm not sure if they actually have to glue these things together, for the most part; only on the werewolf figure can I detect where the figure is constructed in multiple pieces. All of the other figures I pulled are either one-piece casts or are so well contructed that glue joints are undetectable.

In my opinion, these figures are much superior to WK offerings (which is to be expected from a company that's a subsidiary of Hasbro). As for being for "lazy painters," well I disagree. For a gamer that might need 20 kobolds they're ideal: straight from the box onto the table in little turn-around time. How much time do you think one should invest in painting 20 kobolds, and more importantly, how much boredom should a painter suffer painting 20 of these things?

I know I only have so much time in the day, supporting my other hobbies (model building, besides historical wargames figures let alone D&D and wargames proper). I think I'd much rather invest my time painting a character, or a much more spectacular (if not interesting) monster than churning out thesel little guys. I painted around 15 Wotc CHainmail goblins and that near killed me...

Damon.