Extra Terrestrial Control

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You go boy!!

Oh, Snape!

Working on the alien concept I quickly realized that the only way the grey type alien would look any different than all what came before him is to add a nose. A funny nose. I'm really like the Super Sculpey Firm. It's not that firm and the grey REALLY helps you see the details. It's fun!

7zytQ.jpg

eF1U2.jpg

JKBpp.jpg

One with scary lighting:

OjIXx.jpg

I've added the base to the ammo/gear vest. I don't really know if maybe his upper body is looking too thin. Redid the strap on the leg drop (so happy with the buckle) with an added pistol magazine pouch and padding. Thickened the top of his left thigh which sort of helps with how freakishly long it looks.

G0yeA.jpg

dI0v9.jpg

v00o7.jpg

X95 V.06.03 (4?) will be sanded and cut and then more.

O3kIJ.jpg

Etj9z.jpg

Gun looks good. The Alien nose reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone. Really creepy episode.

Well done.

Thank you Josh.

Adding pouches to the vest. I also started on a tomahawk I want to add as part of his equipment. Any other ideas for recognizable non pouchform equipment he can carry in his vest? Some rope? Taking suggestions.

i91Bx.jpg

Y7Hin.jpg

BZ6Xz.jpg

P7Esh.jpg

n1jM0.jpg

The gun evolves soooo slowly.

LgQsH.jpg

The alien concept. Can you tell I'm having a blast with it?

rChsU.jpg

HO2YI.jpg

zsFzT.jpg

Gonna start another. I'll try to cast them, maybe because of the huge size it'll come out nicer without a pressure chamber.

Solid progress!!

Thanks. I'm losing my momentum a little, I'm afraid. Maybe I'll find it when I start the next one. It's not very far away now!

I've posed the arms and with very great difficulty attached the V.04. Many issues came to the surface at this point. The angle of his shoulders meant I could not physically pose him as I intended with the weapon close to his cheek, ready to fire. The width of the gun made it difficult to fit and looking at how large V.06 is at the moment that means it's probably going to the scrap yard. No worries, I will soon start on V.07.

The silhouette already looks really nice except he's leaning too far back, I'll just increase the height of his rear leg- you can see it needs more sole there anyways so it's actually a good thing.

ZHByC.jpg

I29yn.jpg

V.06.

UOSYa.jpg

WJNyh.jpg

Baked the grey-snout alien and sanded some features, mostly the cranium. It's really neat to have this bust all cured and stuff. I don't know, it's just awesome. I can't describe why right now.

VWRuw.jpg

Still working on the other guy. I've got this strange compulsion to add a funky sweater or a bowler hat just so he's not so alieny concepty like that. I started also another bust but there's not much to see yet.

KOtQ6.jpg

'Can't go wrong with Cthulhu!!!

It's what's for dinner. ^_^

I'm working on a self portrait of sorts. The idea is to use my own face as a reference; self portrait is always a helpful exercise. I may add a bionic eye or something else that's science fictiony so that he helps me with my theme. It's still very early in the work so it only mildly looks like me. What's interesting was that as I was working the similarity shifted between myself, my brothers and my father.

m3Hko.jpg

95VhV.jpg

Added the arm and hand in one go. My lack of forethought meant the fingers are slightly wonky but not too bad. Some things will be fixed where I can.

uFr0B.jpg

nkty7.jpg

Strap for tomahawk.

2ejnm.jpg

You handsome devil. I suggest for the ET control, you get a good version of their weapons and cast them up so you don't have to start from scratch each time. He looks good, and the bust is coming along.

The tomahawk is cool. I have one in my zombie preparedness kit.

For carving and sanding, I really like Apoxie Sculpt or Magic Sculp(t). They aren't so good for pliability, or for very fine details, as they tend to "shred" when trying to make details that are too thin or fine -- but for making surface that I want to carve or sand down to get sharp corners and flat surfaces, they work great.

By the way, I love seeing this work-in-progress on a miniature being sculpted!

Thanks Josh. Yeah, they're pretty awesome. I might get one if I don't lose interest before the old disposable income becomes available or alternatively something else looks more awesome.

Thanks Jordan. I don't want to get into another material just yet but it's good to get this info.

I'm glad you enjoy the WIP- log- you can check out my blog if you want (link in signature) where I sometimes write more details and random musings.

Here's where we are today:

Eqf0E.jpg

Ezljp.jpg

9KcQC.jpg

0TtT5.jpg

6oDmR.jpg

eoO45.jpg

3YnrG.jpg

Hey Hellbeard,

Keep up the great work!! Looks like you're cruising right along and all of your sculpts are turning out very well. I'm really digging the busts you've been workin' on. I don't know how you do it. I have always had a hard time switching between scales like that. So kudos to you for flipping between miniatures and busts. :-D

Speaking of miniatures, your ETC is also looking really good. I love the pose. I can really feel the way he's walking (like a real soldier if that makes any sense). All his details and gear are looking nice and clean. I know it's taken a few versions to get there but I'm especially liking his gun. ;-D

The last 10% of the miniature is ALWAYS the hardest for me to complete. Stick with it, like you said you're almost there.

Gene

Hey Hellbeard,

Keep up the great work!! Looks like you're cruising right along and all of your sculpts are turning out very well. I'm really digging the busts you've been workin' on. I don't know how you do it. I have always had a hard time switching between scales like that. So kudos to you for flipping between miniatures and busts. :-D

Speaking of miniatures, your ETC is also looking really good. I love the pose. I can really feel the way he's walking (like a real soldier if that makes any sense). All his details and gear are looking nice and clean. I know it's taken a few versions to get there but I'm especially liking his gun. ;-D

The last 10% of the miniature is ALWAYS the hardest for me to complete. Stick with it, like you said you're almost there.

Gene

I'm extremely honored and grateful for you writing this. Thank you. Thanks for the compliment about the busts. They're quite fun to make and you should try it if it interests you. :)

I did try to pose him after some references of spec ops advancing. There's some proportion issues that are because the pose isn't exactly right but I'll do better next time. I still haven't gotten the gun making process down but I expect that in several more tries it should improve more.

It's hard to overcome that last 10% funk but your comment gave me a second wind.

I used a high speed cutter 1mm thick to drill two holes in the figure. I smeared Vaseline on the hole in the vest and having applied some GS to the tomahawk pressed it into the hole securing it in place. I hope what will happen is that I can simply pull it out afterwards to have a snug fit so the ax can be cast separately. I'm going to do the same thing with the leg drop. Not so much worried about cast ability as I want maybe to have different stuff on there (for no good reason, really).

o9atC.jpg

After some shaving and sanding this'll be the base for the pistol on the leg drop:

CtplO.jpg

Received some new friends in the mail! Clay Shaper bonanza! Got them for a super sweet price with shipping from eBay,

They're fun as hell but I'll need to learn more on how to work with them.

fMRWT.jpg

Made some progress on the busts:

F3Lkt.jpg

Tza4s.jpg

F3Lkt.jpg

aCrfd.jpg

kNXg1.jpg