Anirion Wood Elf Wizard and Flara Vale SwordsElf

Hi, here is Anirion Wood elf Wizard and also Flara a swordelf of the vale (she's listed as a swordsman.. I don't know, anyhoo ::P: ). Flara and the baby dragon were my Open entry at Reapercon where they won Silver! Yay! ::): I did a bit of converting to Flara's armor and also some reposing of the little dragon. Ahh greenstuff... Comments and crits as always are appreciated, thanks for looking!

post-5528-0-82049700-1339006538_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-51287000-1339006570_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-20209300-1339006585_thumb.jpg

And Flara

post-5528-0-14134000-1339006617_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-65638600-1339006647_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-81248400-1339006665_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome paint work! The spell effect on Anirion’s staff is a very good idea and the execution is flawless.

The deep red from is cape looks royal and the freehand is great.

Flara is amazing as well even if the base color is too, flat the figure itself is stunning.

I especially like the sword and her hair.

Thanks guys! ::): Yes I totally agree Metalchaos the base on Flara is way too flat, I needed to create more depth there.

Loim, for the ground base material on the wizard I used birch seeds and glue, and then painted them a bit with yellow & green. The seeds I used were fresh picked so I was trying to match with paint over the great natural coloring to the spring greens and yellows there as they'll fade & brown a bit underneath.

Congratulations again!

Very nice work on Anirion with that unique frame/spell effect. I like the scarlet, crimson, blue combination with the yellow/gold accents. I would punch up the highlights on the hands and face a little, since the scarlet seems to have higher highlights than the grayish skin (and skin usually has a little sheen to it); maybe even wash some color (blue? purple?) into the shadows of the skin.

I also really like the jewel-like colors on Flara and her "scale" skirt, and the subtleties of the scales on the severed tail. It's an excellent and very cute vignette overall, with a great story, and just the right amount of base. I would expect, though, to see some blood on the ground (spilled out from the severed tail or the unseen body) and on Flara's sword. (Maybe Flara already wiped off the blade, but then I would show the cloth or grass where she wiped off the blood). Also, imagine turning Flara clockwise on the rock about 60 or 90 degrees, so she is looking to her left side as a response to an outburst by the little dragon (since her head is already slightly tilted that way). Perhaps her expreission would be one of surprise or embarrassment. :unsure::huh: Then the best viewing angle for the scene would let us see more of the young dragon's face instead of its back, and I think it would set more of a scene of the young dragon surprising her. She hears a growl off to her left -- "Hey, two-legs! What did you do to my mama?" ::o: But the severed tail frames the figures well now, so it might have to be posed differently to make this hypothetical arrangement work... Anyway, lots of possibilities for juxtaposing two figures to tell different stories! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Derek

I'll echo all of the above comments, and also say I love Flara's hair! And normally I'm very meh about NMM, but the sword looks awesome, especially given all the trompe l'oiel effects of the gems and scales. Really lovely.

I think I'd like to see a little more of the mama-dragon's tail colors reflected in the baby dragon's hide; the flat greenness of the baby strikes me as bland. Although you want to avoid making him too busy, as well, so maybe I'm off on that idea.

Andirion's spell effect frame, with the leaves on it, is brilliant work.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the great feedback!

I agree Flara could definitely use some more blood in the basing areas in particular as well as sword too. I remember Alison and Rhonda gave really good advice with it: the angle of the dragon corpse looks like its just been cut, it's still falling to the ground so the area where the tail was sliced should show that. Very good idea there, makes alot of sense, and it's an interesting way to view figures in a diorama, with the additional concept of how is time moving and being translated to the viewer. The action of the scene would have been alot more interesting with the cause and effect more apparent. I was playing around a bit initially with raising the tail even higher to give the impression that the mature dragon was huge (so big as to be almost an archway or door height) but was afraid it would be blocking too much of the view of the figure, but then again that may have been an interesting way to show it too, the idea of the fighters being one in battle or something. I was hoping to make it a bit ambiguous as to whether or not the elf warrior would cut down the dragon hatchling or if she would end up taking it as a pet to raise as amends for orphanning it. This is definitely a project that would have benefited more from some pre studies compositionally and also with color. And in hindsight probably sculpting the adult dragon's severed tail would also have been more interesting than using the one I did from my bits box (an old gw dragon).

Ah well livin & learnin ::): thanks again everyone!

Anne,

And you say you like my basing? These are incredible and the basing is beyond anything I have ever achieved. Nicely done all around. I can not comment on anyone thing since i like everything you did on both of these. Since they were for competition, how long did it take you to do each of these?

Jim

Fantastic job on both! But I'm always a sword-over-sorcery guy, so I'm gonna have to say that Flara is my favorite. ::): You're work on both is just superb, and the gems and scales on Flara's cloak particularly inspire me. You'll be winning golds at RCon next year unless I'm greatly mistaken!

I agree Flara could definitely use some more blood in the basing areas in particular as well as sword too. I remember Alison and Rhonda gave really good advice with it: the angle of the dragon corpse looks like its just been cut, it's still falling to the ground so the area where the tail was sliced should show that.

lol, I was sitting next to Nic and Jen learning how to paint crystals when you came over to talk to Rhonda (I think?) about painting the blood. I remember overhearing Rhonda say something like "Sure, you can add some blood; you just don't have to be a boy about it." Given the fun I had spattering one of my dwarf berzerkers with gore, there's probably something to that... ::D: