Sign in to follow this  
Jay

03246: Chained Succubus. How to do hair?

The wings are coming out well.

I got some good advice from Jennifer at ReaperCon.

I think the hair color is good but the highlighting isn't working for me.

I did an orange base coat and some fire red shadows. I think some dark purple to deepen

the shadows more and perhaps some white for highlights.

Any suggestions?

post-5131-0-57503400-1339384508_thumb.jpg

Wow! Those wings are coming along nicely.

My redheads' hair usually comes up through yellow before hitting white...but I've also never shaded red hair with purple before. I usually use a warm brown for the dark recesses, keeping the whole thing warmer overall. I'd be worried a purple would cool it down a lot (in which case going straight to white may be just the thing).

I would avoid white as it will make the hair look pink. Use yellow instead.

For the shade a dark purple mixed with a brown would work, but I don't know if you want to go straight purple. Try it and if doesn't look good add a brown wash over the purple.

I usually use a warm brown for the dark recesses, keeping the whole thing warmer overall. I'd be worried a purple would cool it down a lot (in which case going straight to white may be just the thing).

Yep. Seconded. Using browns will keep the temperature nice and high (pardon the pun). Purple would look out of place. It needs lots more highlights in the hair. Really emphasize them. They look so flat in the pic.

Also, paintminion wrote this on red hair on another place:

Hair needs some help - my usual recipe throws Mahoganny as base, Orange Brown or Saffron Sunset as midtones, and Creamy Ivory as highlight.

Best advice for painting Hair I can give is to look at someone with Hair in the light and see where the highest highlights are - anything turned perpendicular to the sun is highest. So base could go darker, then build the highlights up. Think of the Hair as a helmet - there are no strands! Think how would you highlight it then? Use the brush strokes in the direction of the Hair to give you strands and ignore the sculpted strands for a bit, until last few pases. Glazes (really thin paint) of your base color and midtones will help bring the Hair together.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this