03148: Jerach the Undead Hunter

Using the Jerach model as a paladin in a D&D campaign. Here's my progress so far. Not sure about some of the colors at the moment, but I'll adjust as I go.

EDIT: buildt myself a homemade light box. Seemed to work out well.

post-7366-0-98828600-1339654461_thumb.jpgpost-7366-0-00685600-1339654473_thumb.jpg

And here's the artwork that I'm basing his scheme off of.

post-7366-0-01422800-1339565240.jpg

Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's coming along slow but steady. My recent finger injury didn't help at all :P. Still trying to figure out how I want to paint the sword....

Still playing with my lightbox. Seems to be working much better than my old setup. The light from above kinda washed out the armor though. But if did highlight the unhighlighted gold :D . I'll probably try one lamp on each side next time.

post-7366-0-28228600-1340336379_thumb.jpg

Another quick WIP progress shot. White's are still getting washed out even with me adjusting the lighting to be farther away.

I'm very happy with how everything turned out. The gold especially.

Just have the sword and shield left. Any suggestions on how I should paint the sword are appreciated.

post-7366-0-69816900-1340413100_thumb.jpg

Looking good. This sword should be easy to paint as you've got an edge on top that would be bright, the flat side of the sword would be a mid tone and the bottom edge would be all in shadow. The just line the edges with a white. If you want you can gradate each of those sections

As for your photos I've learned that light boxes always was stuff out and you need to really know your camera and how to adjust aperture and shutter speed to not have that happen. Most people just use photoshop, or a similar program, to adjust the contrast and colors. I had always hesitated on doing this figuring it was "cheating" but, ya, it just what you have to do unless you've got a great camera.

Looking good. This sword should be easy to paint as you've got an edge on top that would be bright, the flat side of the sword would be a mid tone and the bottom edge would be all in shadow. The just line the edges with a white. If you want you can gradate each of those sections

As for your photos I've learned that light boxes always was stuff out and you need to really know your camera and how to adjust aperture and shutter speed to not have that happen. Most people just use photoshop, or a similar program, to adjust the contrast and colors. I had always hesitated on doing this figuring it was "cheating" but, ya, it just what you have to do unless you've got a great camera.

Thanks MonkeySloth :D !

Should have worded my question slightly differently, that's good advice as to how I should paint it, but I was more worried with color ha ha (silver, gold, or red primarily). But thanks for the advice :poke:

And on the camera stuff. I'm adjusting white balance to flourescent, but is there anything else I should be adjusting? My photography is giving you a good representation of the other stuff, but it IS really washing out the white.

These colors perfectly suits this mini. The ivory and gold looks great together. And, the purple/red add a royal touch.

I think silver with a blue reflection to extend the pants color would be nice for the sword and shield.

Thanks for the compliments Metalchaos.

Yeah I was talking with my bros more last night and that was the general consensus on the sword. I think the shield is gonna be the ivory and then the angel hooded guy on the front will get white wings and grey or dark blue robes. That's the idea anyway, we'll see.

I'll try and finish him today and get some good pictues. Gonna try a different camera this time.

Sorry for the double post. Just a quick update. The mini is finally done. I went with a silver sword. It took me between 10-15 tries. Somewhere in there I stripped the paint with an X-acto knife and sand paper and tried again. I'm very happy with the final result and I'll try and get some good picks today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Final pics here: http://www.reapermin...n-03148-jerach/