Sign in to follow this  
SAbel

Sculpture Contest from Gen Con 2011

Here is a look at some of my work. I entered this into the GenCon sculpture contest last year. It is one of my characters for D&D 4E, a Genasi Stormborn, Sorcerer. I have 3 views of him, let me know what you think. I used Kneadite for this one, home made twisted wire armature, and guitar string for the staves. He is "flying" supported buy a wind cloud under his one foot.post-5729-0-70093700-1340590678_thumb.jpgpost-5729-0-09548600-1340590686_thumb.jpgpost-5729-0-97809900-1340590694_thumb.jpg

Interesting design, intense expression, and an unusual way to make a "flying" miniature.

I am not sure what to make of the anatomy and clothing. Genasi are not quite human, but the differences are largely in the color (which doesn't matter to a sculpted figure) and in the hair (genasi are bald or have crystal "hair"). So I would expect to see more realistic anatomy and more believable drapery in the cloth. Use reference material. The torso and limbs are proportioned and articulated unnaturally. The head is too shallow (no cranial dome), with an overly large mouth and ears, not enough forehead or chin, and eyes that are arranged more to the side than the front of the head; check reference to see how the skull is typically shaped and where the features are located on it, and sculpt lots of faces for practice. The fingers on the hands are asymmetrical and not properly jointed, but I know that it takes observation and practice to sculpt good hands (and they still give me trouble). My most useful anatomy reference (besides a mirror) is the Anatomy Coloring Book, by Kapit and Elson. For clothing reference, wear your own clothes that are most similar to what the figure is wearing, then take a photo of yourself posing like the figure, and you can see where and how deep the folds would realistically be.

I think one of the judging criteria in the GenCon contest is also "castability". Although this figure is generally flat in the side view, the right foot and the two staves would make this difficult to cast. Imagine the molten pewter flowing outward from the center of the spinning circular mold -- it would not be able to flow back toward the center to fill the foot and the bottom ends of the staves. You could separate the staves from the body and cast them as separate pieces, or tie them to the rest of the body with wires or pieces of sprue that the buyer would cut off of the pewter figure. Adding a connection from the right foot to the "cloud" would also help.

Anyway, keep working and show us what you do next.

Have you been to ReaperCon or the Reaper Artist Conference?

Derek

Thank you both for the comments.

Derek very helpful critique of the work. Your right on the mark for the sculpture and help me to see more of what I need to focus on. Thank you very much.

Sean

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are some pictures of the Cavemen matriarch. This Dark Heaven Legends 02395, Cavewoman was sculpted by Bobby Jackson.
      I added primitive paintings on the jars and scratches on her knuckles, elbows and knees.

• By MoonglowMinis
      Every fiendish army needs tiny minions to throw through the meat grinders.  Today I've got some assorted imps and quasits (the demonic counterpart to imps for you non-D&D folk).

First up,
      The Quasits

These fun little guys are the grunts of the demonic legions.  The front two are Quasits from the Nolzur's Unpainted set "Imps & Quasits" #WZK73719.  The back three are Reaper Bones Hordlings (77335).

More Below the Spoiler:

And up next,
      The Imps

These three imps are all Nolzur's from "Imps & Quasits" #WZK73719 and "Familiars" #WZK72563

More Below the Spoiler

Was definitely going cross-eyed after painting these tiny guys.
      What's the smallest mini you've ever painted? (Feel free to share pictures)
    • By Mckenna35
      In case any D&D/Fantasy folks need a cute calendar for 2021:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/babybestiary/baby-bestiary-2021-calendar/

Story
        Owlbear cubs The Baby Bestiary 7th Annual Calendar
      Each year, since the inception of the Baby Bestiary, we've put together an annual calendar featuring a new talented artist to illustrate to bring to life our adorable calendar.
      With a different artist, we can explore the adorable through their eyes, see them experiment with new styles and interpretations of what the Baby Bestiary means to them. With every passing year, we’ve had amazing pieces that have resonated with our community.
      Artist Feature: Kelsey
      Hi everyone! My name is Kelsey, also known around the internet as Keymonster or just Key. I am a full-time, freelance artist and illustrator working out of the Pacific Northwest. My creative passions center around animals, plants and the fantastical worlds they exist in. I love creating plant/animal hybrids and integrating botanical motifs and imagery into the worlds that I build as well as creating adorable little creatures of all shapes and sizes getting into a bunch of mischief.
      http://www.km-illustration.com/
        Features for 2021
      This year we're launching a little late but we've had April start working on the pieces already and we're on track to finish the calendars on time!
      Blink Dog and Phase Kitten playing  Catsith in the dark Couatls neonates hatching Dryad child and botanical elm kittens Fairy Dragon Young Gnoll gnawing on a bone Griffons snuggling in the newt Horsies: a nightmare, unicorn and kelpie hanging out Jackalopes peeking out of the hole Kitsune pup proudly carrying a cherry blossom brach Owlbear cubs climbing a pine tree Phoenix chick going after lava snails Yakul resting with kotodamas Griffon Floof Farie Dragon Dates for 2021
      We try to promote and celebrate diversity, and thus in our calendar, we include a number of dates and holidays that would be appreciated by everyone, including bringing attention to lesser-known cultural and religious holidays, in addition to some geeky need-to-knows :)
      Note: *this list does not include standard US holidays/dates which are included in the calendar.
       Birthdays: JRR Tolkein, Sir Issac Newton, Hayao Miyazaki, Sir Charles, Douglas Adams, Charles Darwin, Leonard Nimoy, Nikola Tesla, Robin Williams, Ed GreenWood, Gary Gygax, Dave Arneson, Shigeru Miyamoto, Stan Lee  Events: Awesome Games Done Quick, Read an RPG Book in public, GDC, EGX Rezzed Expo, GenCon, UK Games Expo, GamesCom, Dragon Con  Gaming: Legend of Zelda release, Star Wars Day, Geek Pride Day, International Tabletop Day, Free RPG Day, Dark Souls Release,  Cultural/Regional/Religious: Makar Sankranti, Chinese New Year, White Day, Mothering Day, Qingming Festival, Black Day, International Workers’ Day,  Juneteenth, Constitution Day (Japan), Ramadan, Cinco de Mayo, Vesak, Lailat al-Qadr, Dragon Boat Festival, Midsummer’s Eve, Canada Day. Bastille Day, Qixi Festival, Respect for the Aged Day, Oktoberfest, Dussehra, Leif Erikson Day, Sukkot, Double Ninth Festival, Diwali, Halloween, Dia de Los Muertos, Guy Fawkes Night, Australia Day, Isra and Mi’raj, Passover, Easter Sunday, Feast of Sacrifice, Muharram, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Hanukkah,  If you have any suggestions to add to the list, feel free to let us know!
      Calendar layout and events (from last the 2020 calendar) Nightmare, Unicorn, and Kelpie foals Yakul foal and kotodamas Backer Levels
      All backers will get their name in the Backer credits of the Calendar
       $5 - PDF of the Calendar: Get the PDF of the 2021 Baby bestiary Calendar  $15 - Print Calendar + PDF: Get the PDF and one Print 2021 calendar.  $25 - Print Calendar x2 + PDF: Get the PDF and two Print 2021 calendars.  $40 - Print Calendar x4 + PDF: Get the PDF and four Print 2021 calendars Couatl Neonates
    • By aku-chan
      Presenting Tzandi, a member of Monkey's Troupe from the game Twisted by Demented Games.

Been painting this one on and off for a while, as I could only work on her teeny tiny details in small bursts (She essentially feels like a much larger scale mini that's been shrunk down). I think taking my time paid off as I'm pretty pleased with the results.
      This also means I've actually finished a set of something for a change (At least until Long Ma the dragon comes out):-

The full Monkey's Troupe.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Maledrakh
      Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures still make some great D&D monsters, here are three more:

Wave 1: Displacer Beast

The Displacer Beast is one of the iconic D&D monsters, described as a six legged panther with a pair of enormous tentacles growing out of it's back.  If that is not bad enough, the schtick of this beast is that is displaces.  This is an ability that makes it appear as it is a few feet off from where it actually is, so while the party are slashing at the image in thin air, the beast invisibly outflanks them with it's powerful claws and massive bite attack coming from seemingly out of nowhere.

Where are the mirrors I need to start breaking?
      I rebased it on a 40mm round. This is a Wave 1 mini, released a few years ago. The tentacles needed repositioning using the  hot water/cold water technique.

Wave 11: Grell & Basilisk
      Grell:

Who names these monsters? Grell?  What kind of a name is that? This is obviously the Flying Spaghetti Monster!
      The tentacles did not turn out all that well. The purple was too strong compared to the other colours and dried too fast to blend. Bah!

Check out the big brain on Brett!
      40mm base.

And in the same pack as the Grell, a Basilisk:

This one was significantly smaller than I expected. Please disregard the piece of flock-fluff on it's right side middle. This is a loose particle I did not see was stuck there until after the pictures were taken. I just cannot be bothered with taking new ones.

Nice doggie?
      30mm x 20mm oval base.

Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures
      Wizkids
      I have no idea who sculpted these, as WizKids do not -as far as I know- publish this info.
      PVC
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)