Sign in to follow this  
72moonglum

the gnome-athon continues little by little

So my quest to paint more gnomes continues, even though it's a very slow process as I don't seem to have so much time to paint at the moment. Here's one I got finished I think last weekend, an old gnome illusionist from TSR. Not the most excellent figure ever sculpted, but I think he's a fun one. More gnomes to follow!

I keep thinking too about having a frost giant-athon, but that would probably take a lot longer...

post-1758-0-68664000-1342131182.jpg

• Like 17

I have that guy... the gnome illusionist from TSR's Magic-Users & Illusionists set.

I've been intending to repaint it lately.

I have that guy... the gnome illusionist from TSR's Magic-Users & Illusionists set.

I've been intending to repaint it lately.

I'd say paint him up! There's also one from the TSR Thieves and something or other set that's a gnome thief with a dagger in one hand and little treasure chest in the other. That's my next one, just need to figure out his colors and find the time to paint him.

Very Nice. I had never seen this mini back then, but of course I did not pay a lot of attention to gnomes when I gamed. I did eventually buy a later version gnome illusionist and ended up painting him and selling him in an adventuring party I painted up and put on eBay. This guy is kind of yard gnomey looking and in the setting you have him in, it works.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the TSR gnomes were particularly gawky. I had the TSR bards set, and the gnome bard in that one had such a large head he looked almost like a character mug.

These really are nicely done examples of tiny, tiny figures.

• Like 1

Way back in the days of yore, there really weren't many miniatures you could use to play gnomes with.  There were a few Grenadier ones and a smattering of Partha ones as well.  I like how Reaper has added a sizable inventory of gnomes to their repertoire, and I'm hugely enamored with the Stonehaven figures as well!

• Like 2

Oh yeah, the TSR gnomes were particularly gawky. I had the TSR bards set, and the gnome bard in that one had such a large head he looked almost like a character mug.

These really are nicely done examples of tiny, tiny figures.

Was it this one?

post-1758-0-91475400-1420597302.jpg

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 7

Ahhh, my old gnome!

Infinitely better painted, but definitely my old gnome.

Is his knife dangerously thin? I recall those old TSR sculpts had ludicrously thin weapon blades.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's ludicrously thin.  Somebody was thinking probably about sizes and proportions of blades, which I admire them for, but they would have been better off thinking more about the actual sculpting technique of their figures and the practicality of having a blade that would virtually bend in a light breeze.  Having said that though I really do like these figures!

• Like 1

This guy looks great!

Don't worry about it being a slow process. 

Sometimes, with gnomes, you have to do things in small steps.

Edited by Tallghost
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pochi
      These are the Deep Gnome Heroes. I love these minis! Their sculpts are so full of personality! I think the girl gnome may have the best face I have painted thus far!

• By Kangaroorex
      This piece has been sitting in my mini drawer for quite some time.  I'm not sure where it came from or why it showed up but it appeared and desired paint so it got some.  I am thinking of making it the grand mentor for the legion of Justice and Caeke to counter the dread influence of Fatimus but we will see.  In the mean time, I dont know too much about this mini other than it was produced by Ral Partha in 1991 for TSR Its pretty and it was fun to paint, but my google fu is not strong enough to find the name of the character and the base has no further information.

So without further Ado, my dragon Elder

• By Darcstaar
      I recently started a project to go through the Bones 1 KS models I have in order from a printout of the Rewards pictures.
      Here is the first project: Cassie, Gnome Wizard.  There are some great examples of her out there.  I knew I wanted a purple-haired gnome, and just went from there.
      The most aggravating part of this miniature was the cloak.  I wasn't planning on spending so much time on these figures, but I tried a freehand Raindrop pattern, and it took a long time.

Link to WIP

Enjoy.
      C&C Welcome.

-Darc
    • By Darcstaar
      I have begun the best thing I can think of for myself to get through my Bones I stockpile.  I went to the Kickstarter page, took screenshots of the reward pictures, and am using it as a checklist.  I’ll be shooting for tabletop+.

First up is Cassie, gnome wizard.

Mold lines addressed, cleaned, and on a rudimentary base.

Primed with Brown Liner.
      Flesh tone base is Rosy Shadow.

Then working on eyes.
      Nightshade Purple and Linen White so far.
      And that’s all I got done today.

• By ManvsMini
      I painted these up about 6 months ago for my brother so he could surprise his players; he was running a small adventure for a group of people who hadn't played D&D before, and I wanted to help him get them to love the game. And nothing says "hey this game is awesome" more than when it has minis in it, and especially when those minis look like their character. They just finished their intro adventure this past weekend, so I thought I'd share.

Reaper Figs used:
      02926: Gungor, Half-Orc Monk
      77118: Tiviel, Hellborn Rogue
      77060: Dragonman Warrior
      77166: Balto Burrowell, Gnome Wizard

Apologies on the next pics, my brother took them and sent them to me via his phone, but didn't know much about the intricacies of photoing minis (I barely know more than he does):

The first two aren't anything super special; I had very little description to go off other than brown-hair halfling, and white dragonborn/black eyes. I did make the cloth purple on the dragonborn to make him match the hair on the upcoming tiefling since those players are a husband-wife duo in the real world.

The next figure I wish I could paint again, because I did some poor color choices with her shirt and skin; in the pics they look too similar, and they are. I'd redo the shirt, but not the green hotpants, because the player loved them.

This last one is my favorite, because I think he came out the best. He was the last one I painted, so a lot of the dust and cobwebs on my skill had been blown off. He's the only one that I was actually able to get a detailed character description of (steathily, because the minis were a surprise), so I didn't have to make up an entire scheme on my own (color scheme is the hardest part for me). Plus, the player said he had a mohawk, so I got to sculpt a faux-hawk on him.

Two regrets on him: the shadow color defining his muscles is too stark, wish I had gone with something a little lighter, and I'd redo his fauxhawk into a more spikey one.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with how they all turned out. They were the first ones I had done in several years, and the first ones I had done since my health problems snowballed; they were very much an "Am I able to still do this?" project. The fact that the players loved them, and wanted to keep them after they finished their adventure makes them all-the-more special to me (and they did get to keep them).

-MvM
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 3 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)