Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

IMEF Marines & "Bugs"

.... yeah they added Shatterzone and others. I actually like the Kryomek alien vehicles and own several, even though they are quite different in style to the aliens themselves. Sprayed white and washed with a brown-black, they are fun and quick to get to "tabletop" quality

The Kryomek aliens were WAY more xenomorph than the Tyranids of that time, and I agree they have aged very well.

The modular buildings were for battlefield terrain, and had stats in the game. The Nexus player could have the game take place in a Nexus (human) controlled area, and deploy various buildings (mostly for the weapons!) as part of his/her "army". They're small, so I'd just treat each module like an APC, one turn of movement to move to another connected module, roll for survival if the module gets blown up. In other words, they're for a tabletop, not for "indoor" play.

My "burrowing horror" is going to double as a Kryomek, I think; and Mashaaf is going to be a swarm overlord :) If I can rescue her from being Mr 8y.o.'s favourite imaginary character, a good guy who got "infected with radiation" and "turned into a mutant"....

• Like 2

@smokingwreckage: Shatterzone!  Yes, I remember that now!  :D  I have the weird-looking guy with the tall mohawk and the cape and the energy-sword (I ended up using him in games of Warzone as a proxy figure for my Muawijhe force, before proper models came out ... and then STILL used him because the proper models at the time looked kind of dumb), and somewhere in my box-of-ancient-minis is the one that looks like a battle-cat with a turret gun on its back.  It's ... the Cat-Gat!  (No, not what it was really called.)  I should have painted that one up just for the sheer insane crazy-cool factor of it, never mind that none of the games I've played necessarily called for a use for it.  ;)

For the "burrowing horror," I'm a bit torn on what to do with that one -- I can think of just too many things it could be useful for!  On the one hand (claw?) it's exotic and weird enough that I could see painting it up as some sort of alien horror, but if I'm going to run an IMEF scenario, I tend to lean toward having a bunch of beasties that look like they all belong to the same "hive," rather than just having a single "boss."  But then ... maybe I could have a scenario involving a secret research station where the "zoo" of alien samples got out.  And of course, it's the predators who soon established themselves as the top of the food chain, so the only ones you're likely to run into are the nasty ones by the time the shuttle docks and the IMEF troopers disembark.  Hmm.  Hey, actually I think I like this idea as a possible one-shot scenario for Necronomicon.  It's a great excuse to use my "grab-bag" of different "alien" types without worrying that they all fit a singular look.  It'd just be a sci-fi take on the old classic dungeon crawl, complete with entirely unrelated-to-each-other monster/alien encounters in different areas.

Ahem.  But anyway, another thing I was thinking of doing with the "burrowing horror" was to paint it up as some sort of "Legion of Everblight" nasty for my present "Iron Kingdoms" campaign.  I could probably find a use for some sort of Everblight nasty, but I'm not willing to rush out and buy an Everblight army just for the sake of a few encounters.  Bones provide a much more cost-effective alternative (or, at the very least, I try to work with what I already have on hand first).

If I go with the "space zoo" scenario for IMEF ... the same paint scheme could probably work for BOTH.  I would just make sure to stick the thing on a lipped base (as standardized base sizes are expected in Iron Kingdoms -- but not so much in Savage Worlds).

• Like 2