Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Bruunwald

So, Evil Empire is making a clearly fraudulent trademarkt claim (there's prior art aplenty - don't you wish Heinlein had called the book "Space Marines" rather than "Starship Trooper"?), par for the course. Amazon caving, that's a little surprising, but I guess it's easier to hose a small seller than to actually check on whether EE's claim can possibly be legit. What I don't understand is why EFF didn't actually offer to take this to court. This is the kind of "it's so evidently a fraudulent claim we shouldn't even have to be here" case they absolutely need to pursue and win if they ever want to force any kind of positive change to the legal abomination that is US patent and copyright law...

Money, five lawyers were interviewed and all were willing to take the case. Starting at $2,000 and going up from there. No lawyer has been willing to take this one pro-bono at this point.
The EFF has staff attorneys. They sure must have a lot of clear-cut cases on her desk if this one isn't worth taking on...
Would you be willing to take on Sauron and all four chaos gods all by yourself for free?

Agreement. It's easy to judge people's choices from a distance, but I imagine lawyers have to think long and hard about what's possible to take on. Second guessing the experts is always risky.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Evil Empire is making a clearly fraudulent trademarkt claim (there's prior art aplenty - don't you wish Heinlein had called the book "Space Marines" rather than "Starship Trooper"?), par for the course. Amazon caving, that's a little surprising, but I guess it's easier to hose a small seller than to actually check on whether EE's claim can possibly be legit.

What I don't understand is why EFF didn't actually offer to take this to court. This is the kind of "it's so evidently a fraudulent claim we shouldn't even have to be here" case they absolutely need to pursue and win if they ever want to force any kind of positive change to the legal abomination that is US patent and copyright law...

Money, five lawyers were interviewed and all were willing to take the case. Starting at $2,000 and going up from there. No lawyer has been willing to take this one pro-bono at this point.

The EFF has staff attorneys. They sure must have a lot of clear-cut cases on her desk if this one isn't worth taking on...

She is now in talks with the EFF (and can not say much more than that at the moment). I noticed at least one other offer from the Popehat Signal. Neil Gaiman retweeted her issue and is supporting her. I think EE is about tohave a nice big meal of crow....

Gw have posted about this on facebook now.

The comments are not particularly supportive.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/games-workshop/games-workshop-and-the-protection-of-our-trademarks/595792240435610

In agreement with one of the commenters, I am surprised that GW has not erased the comments. Is anybody archiving that page?

Poor GW. I feel bad for whomever came up with the muscle-flexing plan in the first place. They're the sort of person that will end up sad and lonely with no one to play games with, because they've run everyone else out of the playground. See, why is it bullies never learn? They may end up with lots of toys they liberated from little kiddies, but they're hearts are empty. It's tragic.

Acts like these make me want to do good things for humanity, just to keep us on track. We can do better.

• Like 1

In business it is not universal, but too common for my tastes, that the biggest bastard wins, in the short term. I don't mind companies undercutting each other and generally being lean, mean fighting machines in the general melee PROVIDED they are nice to customers AND don't engage in this kind of crap, which is basically rent-seeking.

I get very annoyed when businesses seek to use the law to shelter from competition, which is exactly what GW and every other would-be IP company does, given the chance.

And as for Blizzard, GW wouldn't go near 'em given the fact that the Tyranids have basically spent the time since Starcraft evolving visually into Zerg. If they proved a similarity they might get beaten to death with it. Blizzard has deeper pockets and won't have to do millions of dollars worth of re-machining if they lose.

You know, I had the opportunity to go to a GW store for the first time in about eight years last month, and I just couldn't be bothered. I mean, I wasn't going to buy anything even if I did go in, so what was the point?

It made my inner 12-year-old very sad. Growing up I would have loved to have a GW store in my town, but now I couldn't care less. If Reaper opened up an HQ in NZ, though, I'd go every chance I could get, even if it were at the other end of the country. ::D:

• Like 3

Their new plan involves closing many of the battle bunkers and moving to a 1 employee store with no playing areas. This pretty much nullifies their existence as a brick and mortar store IMO. If you can't play there, whats the point? I know most of the indie FLGS around here mostly play other games these days.

A EE store opened up here last week but yeah, don't have much of an urge to go.

As an update, sometime ::looks at clock:: yesterday-ish, the Kindle version of Spots went back on Amazon. So partial success so far. The EFF is claiming credit for that. (Presumably it's true, but if I'd hazard a guess, Amazon just saw the storm of support and decided it was in their best interests to support her too until an actual legal decision was made.)

• Like 1

Their new plan involves closing many of the battle bunkers and moving to a 1 employee store with no playing areas. This pretty much nullifies their existence as a brick and mortar store IMO. If you can't play there, whats the point? I know most of the indie FLGS around here mostly play other games these days.

Anybody want to take wagers that their prices will fall when these stores close? I mean, the reason the prices are so high is because they're subsidizing all that play area, right?

...yeah. Didn't think so.

• Like 1

Anybody want to take wagers that their prices will fall when these stores close? I mean, the reason the prices are so high is because they're subsidizing all that play area, right?

...yeah. Didn't think so.

Somewhere on this forum a few months back there was someone passionately defending GW, including making the argument that the reason GW's prices were so very high was largely to subsidize all these tournaments and group activities and places GW maintained where fans could congregate and play.

It seemed harsh, if that were true, that the players who lived so far away from any store or tournament that they effectively never had a chance to take advantage of their benefits still had to pay those "dues."

But I don't think it's really true. I think there's a list of excuses somewhere, maybe even official talking points, but that it all comes down to the bottom line, profits, and shareholders.

Oh, and according to financial news sources (do they think we do not read those?), GW made healthy profits last year despite the UK's awful economy:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/18a3b430-6188-11e2-82cd-00144feab49a.html