Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Bruunwald

I just like my astromech and ewok toys. I hate how much they cost though <_<

That dumb kid in Episodes 2 & 3 completely RUINED Darth Vadar. I mean, he's just a winey little brat now. From a literary standpoint I see what Lucas was trying to do with the story, but the kid, who can't act, just ruined it, and Lucas can't direct to save his life. Vadar used to be the BBEG of sci-fi, now he's just a emo-kid who can strangle you with his mind powers. Woo-hoo.

• Like 1

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You go so far off the rails your title should be Galaxy Express.

I didn't like the kid but as you say, even good actors couldn't do anything with the script, Ewan McGregor was also terrible in those films. Anakin never came across as the hero that Obi Wan made him out to be in the original three films, seeing the rise and fall of a hero would have been much better than just the whiny kid throughout that they gave us.

Vaguely back on topic in regards to EE and being derivative, to play devils advocate for a moment, there are large swathes of both fantasy and sci-fi that are derivative and it's not always a bad thing. For something like Warhammer it's probably one of the things that's helped them to keep the game world going so long as it's given them a very wide scope for new stories and figures without them seeming out of place.

It doesn't always make them good, there is a very wide range in quality in Black Library's catalogue even in the same series by the same author for example, but it does mean that new material can maintain a regular flow.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 2

pooptastic

That is an AWESOME word.

Everything is derivitive now. For anything to not be, you'd have to raise someone completely outside any kind of culture influences, then see what kind of creative, hopefully non-pooptastic stuff they could come up with. But I'd bet you my favorite teddy bear it would strongly resemble myths, legends, or stories from somewhere. All stories are archetypes, rehashed endlessly, just like all fashion is just a repitition of the same forms. How creatively it's done is what's important. We're about 3000 years gone from anything new.

• Like 1

Just to note:

There's a very significant difference between "derivative" and a "Derivative Work". The latter is a term of art and is a copyright violation. Worse, it's one of those, "the jury knows it when they see it" things; there's no magic formula or description that determines what it is or isn't outside of a court.

Han shot first - but he should have shot Lucas, not Greedo....

The Auld Grump, hoping Disney restores the original version of the scene.

And gets rid of the CGI.

And completely forgets about Episodes 1, 2, and 3 - so that they are free to do good versions....

*EDIT* You know, it's sad when the seventy year old man playing the villain has a better stance and surer passes than the fellow playing the heroic Jedi. Count Dooku should have killed him....

• Like 1

You know, it's sad when the seventy year old man playing the villain has a better stance and surer passes than the fellow playing the heroic Jedi. Count Dooku should have killed him....

Yes, but that man was Christopher Lee. The man who explained to Peter Jackson in Lord of the Rings from first hand experience what someone being stabbed in the back is like.

Heck, the original Warrior of Chaos miniatures were by Ral Partha....

*puts on sage hat*

That lineage may not be so clear, as Partha and Citadel were super chummy back then and some "parthas" were actually Citadel minis, while some "citadel" minis were actually Parthas and who produced what, when is still not fully documented as far as I can tell.

Which is how it came to be that Citadel owns some stuff, and some of the IWM molds currently in use were actually used to produce Citadel minis.

The real bizarre thing for me, since we're waxing historical, is that a sizable chunk of my mini hobby is actually composed of GW products . . . only they're not GW products anymore, they just used to be. Heck 1/3 of my paint supply is really old-style Citadel Paint.

Modern GW can go stuff itself into a razor-lined sarlacc, though.

*Steals Sage Hat.*

Except that they were sculpted by Tom Meier and were part of the Fantasy Personalities line - the entirety of that line was from the US and Ral Partha. The package was 01-124 Warriors of Chaos in case you want to go digging. Three goofy looking Chaos Warriors, with silly weapons - really goofy, really silly. That one is actually documented.

In this case it went across the pond to Great Britain, not from Great Britain. ::P:

Pretty much all the figures sculpted by Dennis Mize, Tom Meier, Julie Guthrie originated in the US - with a few exceptions when Tom Meier was visiting the UK.

I have some very early Bob Olley miniatures from both Ral Partha (Fantasy Armies) and Citadel.

From Wikipedia, related to this -

Licensees and distributors

As early as 1979 Citadel Miniatures acquired the license to produce and distribute Ral Partha figures in Britain.[2][3] Citadel Miniatures attempted to establish a U.S. division in 1982 with Ral Partha as the local manufacturer.[4][5] By 1984 the Citadel Miniatures were brought under the Ral Partha logo and marketed as Ral Partha Imports.[6] In 1985 the import lines included the FTx-xx Fantasy Tribes, FAx-xx Fantasy Adventurer, FF/31-xxx Fiend Factory, FS/32-xx Fantasy Special, the popular WF-xx Weird Fantasy series with whimsical themes, FMM-xx Fantasy Mysterious Miniatures, and LB-xx Tabletop's Laser Burn line of space marines. Historical lines included Romans AR-xx, Dark Ages DA-xx, Medievals M-xxx and Samurai SAM-xx.[7][note 1] At least two figures (FTT 3 Troll hurling rock and FTT 4 Troll in chainmail with scimitar) were sculpted by Tom Meier while visiting England in 1981.[8]

The co-operative relationship between Ral Partha and Citadel Miniatures dissolved in the mid-1980s. As early as 1984 Ral Partha had begun replacing the Citadel figures in the "Imports" line with new sculpts.[9] In 1986 Minifigs gained the rights to manufacture and distribute their fantasy range in Britain.[10] The following year Ral Partha dropped Citadel Miniatures' historical lines and began to distribute Denizen Miniatures' dwarves (33-xxx), orcs (34-xxx), 36-xxx Legion of the Damned skeletons, and 39-xxx Fantastic Adventurers.[11]

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

Oh, they're probably just hunkering down and hoping it all goes away.

Which it looks like it's doing, now the book has been reinstated by Amazon. And it looks like we won't even have a test legal case. Sigh.

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic.

• Like 1

The Clone Wars cartoons tell a much much better story of Annakin's heroism and slow descent into darkness. Recommended!

When I say derivative, I mean in the common sense, not the legal sense. So I could draw up a spacefaring swashbuckler with pistol and sword and still be derivative of Star Wars.

• Like 2

At this point I expect that both GW and Amazon are really wishing that they had left well enough alone - there was no freakin' way that Spot the Space Marine would have been seen as a challenge to GW's trademark, and trying to treat it as such merely made them look petty and mean spirited. Meanwhile Amazon looked lazy and complacent by doing what GW told them to do.

Somebody has been raked over the coals, I have no doubt. (More likely at Amazon than GW.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1