Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Bruunwald

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm, tastes like... irony.

That said - Ian Livingston isn't in charge of GW anymore, neither is Steve Jackson (the other Steve Jackson). I have no idea about Mr. Peake.

GW is nothing of what it was, and instead is something that could feed a pages long rant. (And has... many, many times over.)

There are issues of White Dwarf from those halcyon days where they complain about the rising prices of Avalon Hill games, and why they were licensing the right to produce a lower priced bound edition in the UK....

The Auld Grump, I miss the old GW.

• Like 1

It confused me for years that there were two Steve Jacksons both involved in gaming. I met the UK Steve Jackson last year and got him to sign Warlock of Firetop Mountain, he is a very nice man.

The trick is to get Both Steves to sign Both Games. ::P: I knew somebody that had a copy of OGRE with both sigs and a copy of several Fighting Fantasy books signed by both - and one of them was actually written by the US Steve Jackson. From Origins game convention, back in the eighties.

I gather that they joked about forming the Association of Several Steves, then looked at the acronym.... (Or more likely came up with the acronym sometime in the middle and thought that it was funny.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

I will also be buying a copy of the book, just for support. I don't hate GW, but I think they need to stop and evaluate things before they rush headlong into stupidity. Hell hath no fury like geekdom scorned. We may argue the finer points of...well anything to the point of absurdity, but when you rile our anger we're like a herd of horribly CGed Banthas trampling everything in our paths.

On the note of Prequels, I always saw Vader as a great tragic figure. The Prequels have indeed turned him into a whiny little kid who didn't get to stay up late and watch the shows he wanted. Now Arthas, there's a tragic figure I can get behind.

• Like 2

I think this whole incident was exactly the wake-up call GW needed about their assumed popularity. Its absolutely incredible the response the defender got over this issue. Lets hope GW learns from this instead of pulling a George Lucas.

Well, they certainly seem to have a certain amount of dislike from the gaming community outside of their devotees. They've done a terrible job of selling themselves -- even many people who buy their products seem to consider them pretty rapacious.

As for the non-gaming community, it looks like most people have never heard of Games Workshop.

• Like 2

I think this whole incident was exactly the wake-up call GW needed about their assumed popularity. Its absolutely incredible the response the defender got over this issue. Lets hope GW learns from this instead of pulling a George Lucas.

Well, they certainly seem to have a certain amount of dislike from the gaming community outside of their devotees. They've done a terrible job of selling themselves -- even many people who buy their products seem to consider them pretty rapacious.

As for the non-gaming community, it looks like most people have never heard of Games Workshop.

Did you know that they completely replaced their White Dwarf staff a few months back? The new team is... more... community friendly then the last bunch. Far less of the elitist snark there once was.

• Like 1

Did you know that they completely replaced their White Dwarf staff a few months back? The new team is... more... community friendly then the last bunch. Far less of the elitist snark there once was.

The last time I read White Dwarf was maybe 1987, so I have no idea what it has been like lately.

By 1987 White Dwarf had convinced me that the UK gaming scene was hopelessly misogynistic and that there was no place for me at any of their tables. They really made the US gaming scene look enlightened by comparison, and over the years every time I dipped my toes into UK gaming fandom my impression seemed confirmed.

This may be unfair. It may be that the UK roleplaying and tabletop gaming community is not a lads' league full of testosterone, muscled brutes and the odd ambulatory breast carrier. But that's sure how it looked and sounded.

I'm sorry if this is grouchy. It bugged the heck out of me as a teenager.