Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Bruunwald

There is a bit of a UK geekdom elitist thing whereby if US geekdom says "Woah, hey, that's way inappropriate" UK geekdom replies "HA! Puritans! I will not kotow to your religio-imperialist moralising! I will be every bit as awful as I feel entitled to be!"

At least, that's how it looks on the internet sometimes.

• Like 1

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a bit of a UK geekdom elitist thing whereby if US geekdom says "Woah, hey, that's way inappropriate" UK geekdom replies "HA! Puritans! I will not kotow to your religio-imperialist moralising! I will be every bit as awful as I feel entitled to be!"

At least, that's how it looks on the internet sometimes.

And that's why I like to stick close to friendly sites like this one.

My husband has a certain incredulity towards behavior such as you describe. He wonders how gamers like that ever meet girls.

See, he was a civilised roleplaying gamer and that's how we met. :D

• Like 5

My husband has a certain incredulity towards behavior such as you describe. He wonders how gamers like that ever meet girls.

Oh, that's easy; they don't. And it's fairly likely that they complain vociferously about how horrible women are, too.

IME, there are women who act the same way toward men, but they tend not to be gamers.

You have to wonder why this behavior wasn't eliminated by evolutionary pressure millennia ago. It's not conducive to propagation of genes.

• Like 1

<---- devil's advocate

Ironically, of all of the game stores in this area, the GW store in Scottsdale has the friendliest staff and regulars. And there are 8 FLGSs driving distance from my house, including Battlefoam's Gaming Saloon. Those guys are a hoot but can get a little uppity.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned though is that GW hasn't really backed down from their stance. Amazon made the decision to put the book up although GW hasn't appeared to fight that decision. Yes, they may have shut down their Facebook page (I haven't looked) but that's not admitting that they were wrong. I mean that have shut down their own forums before because they didn't want to listen to the complaints from the gamers over one of the prior editions of 40K. They are not exactly fan friendly in that respect. But there has been no out right admission that they felt that they were wrong just that they were defending their IP. So at this point I certainly don't feel like anything has changed over the pond at GW.

I haven't read White Dwarf since Paul Sawyer left.

And, while the new crew for WD may be more fan friendly, I have not heard that the content has improved.

I do not need to spend 8 dollars and more for a catalog of Photoshopped models. (Oh, wait, that was Playboy.... Nope, nevermind, it was both.)

The Auld Grump, the terrain models more than anything else - I am looking at the 'photo' on the cover of the Fortified Manor right now....

• Like 1

They're probably hoping if they lay low for a bit everyone will forget about it and they can return to business as usual. How successful they are with that really just depends on how determined their customers are about not going back to them. A fair number of people said they were through with them, but if their next spiffy product comes out and they all just go running back to GW, GW wins in the end.

I've never been impressed, even less so once I actually got a set of their stuff (LotR goblins for Christmas, wow, crappy quality). For the price they sell their minis at it ought to be waaaaaay better than it is. I'm just glad I never actually spent money on them <_<

Edit: Nocturne, that's also my excuse for not painting right now! ::D:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2

I hate the current White Dwarf, the quality of the magazine itself had improved but the painting articles have been reduced to the single panels just showing colour and brush size. I much preferred when they used to include multi-page highly detailed articles normally with a secondary article focussing on one of the techniques.

• Like 1

They're probably hoping if they lay low for a bit everyone will forget about it and they can return to business as usual. How successful they are with that really just depends on how determined their customers are about not going back to them. A fair number of people said they were through with them, but if their next spiffy product comes out and they all just go running back to GW, GW wins in the end.

I've never been impressed, even less so once I actually got a set of their stuff (LotR goblins for Christmas, wow, crappy quality). For the price they sell their minis at it ought to be waaaaaay better than it is. I'm just glad I never actually spent money on them <_<

Edit: Nocturne, that's also my excuse for not painting right now! ::D:

Wait until you get a gander at 'Finecast'.... bad, bad, bad QA.

And the GW flaks saying 'look at all the detail! You couldn't get that with metal!' Using model that were originally cast in metal, and have no better detail... and in a few cases are the painted metal models....

The Auld Grump

I still like GW's designs but finecast was a dreadful move. I really don't like working with a material that I feel like I could just rip.

I worked on Vlad and Isabella von Carstein together, Vlad was metal and Isabella finecast.

Isabella gave me no end of trouble. Arms wouldn't stay on, she had a long thin piece of flash on right on the chin, foot broke off, sword broke off and had to replaced with a plastic one as the finecast was unusable. Just terrible to work with.