Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Bruunwald

Well, the GW vs. Chapterhouse trial did not go all that well for GW - two thirds of the challenged IP has been turned down and CH is still free to make them, and a $25,000 fine on CH for the ones that weren't turned down - not exactly a sweeping win for GW, who spent around a million on prosecuting this....

The Auld Grump, final results on Monday or Tuesday.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they wanted to have any protection of their IP, they have to challenge every possibility. Letting something slide opens the ground for losing their copyright. I actually don't have a problem with them bringing the lawsuit especially since it appears that there are aspects of the case that they are likely to win. That doesn't necessarily mean that the judge will award damages though, he may simply decide that having Chapterhouse change some elements of the design will be enough.

• Like 1

Having a look through the website I'm not surprised the result of the case is mixed. Producing things that are compatible with GW kits that GW themselves don't make is one thing and I'm completely supportive of, but when you're selling something as a conversion kit to turn a Carnifex into a Tervigon when GW produces a Tervigon anyway you're not filling a gap in the market. Naming it "Tervigon Conversion Kit for Carnifex Model" doesn't exactly support a case that they aren't stepping on GW's IP.

Especially as they also produce Kroxigor a lot cheaper than GW's but had the sense to call them Lizard-Ogres instead. Looking at some of the notes in the case the Lizard-Ogres is on of the points that was decided in Chapterhouses favour.

I've been poking around, trying to figure out this case.

But first, I have to say this has been driving me nuts:

THE PLURAL OF "CODEX" IS "CODICES"!

Ahem. Thank you.

Many of the sources seem to have been biased one way or another. But ... this sounds like it has seriously weakened a number of Games Workshop's arguments for hammering other companies and authors. IANAL, though, and haven't seen the documents.

• Like 3

Since a lot of GW's IP is based upon ideas they 'copied' from other people in the first place its all swings and roundabouts as far as I can see.

The way it looks to me is that anything that is a 'GW-a-like' but called something different, is ok. Anything else isn't, rightly or wrongly.

I'd like to see the full verdict as it's hard to tell what's been ok'd and whats not from the few bits and pieces floating around. The size and shape of shoulder pads are ok for anyone, powerfists are not.

The individual models decisions is going to be the interesting one. Both the Doomseer and Dark Elf Arch-Torturess went in GW's favour so GW-like with a different name might not be ok afterall.

small-224x224.jpgDark%20Elf%20Torturer%201-224x224.jpg

It seems like it producing gw-like parts might be ok, but not complete models

Edited by Nocturne