Sign in to follow this  
Bruunwald

Evil Empire has Evil Customer Service - Surprised?

Have you got a link about that? Hadn't heard that one before. Beyond bad practice if true.

It really depends on where you play. I've never had a model banned from the tables because it's not 100% GW at the places I've played. But then I know better than to try to do any 'official' GW events.

You'd think that with a hobby where conversion is one of the most loved aspects they'd embrace it and cooperate with their competition.

Have you got a link about that? Hadn't heard that one before. Beyond bad practice if true.

It really depends on where you play. I've never had a model banned from the tables because it's not 100% GW at the places I've played. But then I know better than to try to do any 'official' GW events.

You'd think that with a hobby where conversion is one of the most loved aspects they'd embrace it and cooperate with their competition.

I was replying to Pingo's comment about eBay sales being shut down which is quite a bigger problem than non-GW figures not being allowed.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

It's a hobby where conversion using their own bits are encouraged. After all, then you spend more money on their product. Many years ago, near the beginning of GW becoming the evil empire, they actually tried to make fly a rule that you not only had to have GW minis only in your army, but they had to be the most up to date release. So no using your old IG if there is a newer version available. This was a horrible idea and didn't last very long, but it gives you an idea where their heads are.

i do know of two companies that are starting to put up a fight with GW. Privateer Press with Warmachine/Hordes. Mantic Games with KoW, Warpath, Dwarfs Kings Hold, Dreadball, and Project Pandora. im no fanboy of GW but i love my Chaos Space Marines. my Undead Army is an Undead army none of that vampire counts/tomb kings thing. my undead army is a mix of GW, Mantic Games, Hell Dorado, Reaper Minis, Warlords, and what ever undead units i like and would fit into my army. no matter where you deal with customer service there is good and bad customer service. bad customer service makes me feel bad and wont make me come back. good customer service makes me feel like im on top of the world and makes me go back.

I was replying to Pingo's comment about eBay sales being shut down which is quite a bigger problem than non-GW figures not being allowed.

My bad! :D

http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/showthread.php?t=15054

... which, to be totally honest, is one guy's version of his friend's story. It is entirely possible I overreacted. I have had several bad experiences with GW, and am not terribly well disposed towards them.

GW would almost certainly claim that the seller is trading on GW's trademark.

The problem with that is that an informational statement is not necessarily a trademark violation: "This part replaces the factory rear-view mirror on a 1973 AMC Pacer" would probably not be a trademark violation, for example. It's my understanding that there is quite a bit of case law on this issue (though IANAL, so don't take that as advice).

Can you afford to convince a jury that what you're doing isn't distinguishable from that, though?

Well, in the case of eBay it's got its own rules of operation - mostly in the category of "shoot first, don't bother with questions". In my experience, any trademark dispute report by an IP owner, no matter what grounds or validity, is pretty much going to result in instant nuking of the listing. During my time on the eBay help boards before liberating myself to this fine place, I saw a great many bizarre things.

Including LEGOmaggedon, when pretty much all the listings for custom minifigs were put to the sword out of the blue without warning. All GW would have to do is file a report, claim IP infringement as a knock-off, and presto. eBay's not going to spend the time or energy to actually investigate the claim or defend the seller, cheaper and easier for them to just make it vanish.

Remember, we're talking about a website that will obliterate all your model kit listings if the box art shows a swastika on the tail and has been known to remove non-nazi native american style or jain style art. Nuance, validity, and context aren't concepts recognized in that realm.

Thanks for the link Pingo, that does read like it's a bad case of IP enforcement. It also supports my belief that eBay has long since stopped caring about individual sellers and would be happier operating as a marketplace for businesses.

Edited by Nocturne

Heh - take a look at Mantic's view on using non-Mantic figures in Kings of War....

Is more than 50% of the army Mantic? Score! Go ahead and play!

Wait, none of the figures for the army are out from Mantic yet, so none of the figures are Mantic? Well, i that case, go ahead and play! Score!

Wait... your entire army is Mantic? All of it? Bob! come over here! Look, it's all Mantic! ::D: There's like three hundred zombies!

I am exaggerating, but less than you might think - the 50% rule, unless they don't have any is real.

As was the reaction when an entire army, including characters, was Mantic... most were just repurposed WHFB armies....

The Auld Grump, yes, my undead army was pure Mantic....

• Like 2

Here is another example of GW jumping into protect their trademark of the term Space Marine in the literary world. Now trademarking Adeptus Astartes is one thing but the term space marine is pretty generic and certainly pre-dates even the founding of GW. This one has me concerned, I didn't know there was such a thing as a common law trademark.

http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593

• Like 1

If a term has ™ after it, it's a common law trademark claim. If it has ®, it's a registered trademark. The intent is to prevent confusion in the marketplace, which is a reasonable goal.

But you can't protect ordinary English words used in their ordinary English way: You can claim and defend a trademark on "Car" brand soap (I don't know of anything like that, BTW), but a trademark claim for "Car" brand automobiles will fail miserably. This, by the way, is a major reason so many companies use ... creative ... spelling in their product names.

This trademark claim, by my analysis (and I am not a lawyer, so if you take this as legal advice, you're a fool), is risible. The correct response is, "Sue and be damned." The only reason it has any teeth at all is that GW has been able to intimidate a seller.

Frankly, there might be a viable counter-claim against GW for restraint of trade or trademark abuse.

Again, I am not a lawyer anywhere.

That's a vile use of trademark law and frankly insulting to their companies own heritage. The big corporate entity that runs GW has long since stopped making sense. Terms that they invented, fine, but that's just lawyer abuse.

Edited by Nocturne