Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My Secret Sophie arrived at its destination i can share with everyone. My recipient wanted something cute. I thought it would be cute to have a man feeding his pet. Just because his pet happens to be a rust weevil should not be held against him.
I saw the barbarian and it looked like he was throwing the swords rather than. Actually using them to hit anything. I also had a spare rust weevil and the whole thing just came together.
Roger got the old swords out of the box from his adventuring days. It had been a while since he'd been out to the dungeons but at the rate George was going through weapons, he was either going to need to buy a new crate or go delving. Maybe this time he'd just buy a box of old weapons, let the younger kids go fight the baddies. These two look okay. He grabs the weapons and heads out to the field. When he reached the edge of the field he looks out over the fine red and tan soil and dust. HEY GEORGE! He yells out over the field. In moments George shows up jumping and chittering. "Hey George" he says again, "its dinnertime! FETCH!"
Needed a bunch of ghoul types so grabbed a bunch or bones ghasts - and added in one of the bones IV ghouls. Not sure how I feel about the ghasts, I turned out kind of not liking them and regretting the purpleish color. An relearning I should never paint groups larger than 3 - I don't have the attention span....
The grey themed bones iv ghoul made me smile though -
quick paints for a graveyard scene. Tried adding some grey mud to the brown.
Goblin Menace indeed! I was doing fine with the other group of goblins I did 2 weeks ago, but these little green bast...guys were not as fun.
* Found an EXCELLENT new paintbrush - Master's Touch from Hobby Lobby. Dang! I've been missing this level of spring in the bristles and fine edge with them. Love it.
* Tried diluting steel color with black ink to help with application. Worked great! Will do again.
* Switched the Sta-Wet Palette paper that came with it to just simple parchment paper. I don't know who uses the actual paper in the Sta-Wet Palette, but that stuff is terrible!
* Still using as much breast cancer awareness color pink (got like 4 bottles...need to use!)
* dry brushing the hair came out much better this time. Lighter touch and more layers - worked better.
* Eyes this time were more difficult. Tried doing those chibi eyes, but it wasn't as expressive this time.
* Tried a base color of off-white in the eye - also didn't seem to give as much character to them.
* Washed with Agrax Earthshade around the major bends and muscles. Didn't seem to work as well this time. I think it's time to try that black lining on the next goblin and see if Iike that instead.
* using the new brushes have a bit of a learning curve to them. Much more springy and reduced my need for pressure, however this caused some interesting streaks when I didn't mean to.
* I did it again! I tried using my finger to dab off an excess streak and ended up taking off some of the baselayer AND primer. With that being the second time it's happened - the best way I can describe what I did was the scene in Top Gun where the flight tower Captain gets a second fly-by.
Overall the color of Goblin skin still works great, but basecoat of VCG Flat Green may not have been best. May just add black to Goblin Skin and then lighten it up as I go next time.
Attempted different primers on them:
Girl with spear - primed in black with Vallejo Black spray primer
Chainmail goblin - primed in Vallejo Leather Brown spray primer (didn't like that as much...)
Stone chuckers - both of them were done in paint-on Vallejo grey primer. (worked best)
Overall, they aren't bad, but they aren't my best. Once I base them I'll feel better. Might even go back after a few days to touch them up to see if I can straighten out the things I missed.
As always - open to feedback. Thanks for the tips on the Metallics thread. I put it to use, but still learning.
Look at this cute fellow! But don't look directly at his eyes. Too late? Uh-oh, I'm sorry if you just turned to stone.
Anyway ... this is the Basilisk, #77371 in Bones.
The color scheme is inspired by the iridescent plumage of a bird, the White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi). My folders of saved wildlife references include a photo of an ibis whose wing has golden, green, and orangey-pink metallic tones, and its head is more purplish-pink.
I clipped away part of the integral base and built up this rocky base with putty.
I added bits of two metal figures as the basilisk's petrified victims: the head is one of the 3 options for the Death Warden (Dark Heaven 03083), and the leg is from my Dwarf Shieldmaiden (Warlord 14379). I imagine that the basilisk ate the rest of those 'statues' and left these for later snacking.
The grass is a preformed "Winter Tuft" product (dull yellow-green and black) with painted highlights, and the leaves are dried oregano, fully painted.
I had used this basilisk as a demonstration figure at ReaperCon 2019 ... or maybe 2018 ... in my "Painting Fur, Feathers, and Scales" class.
It was all dark green, with just the front right shoulder area painted with highlights simulating smooth shiny scales.
It sat on my shelf since then. I wanted to paint something small and relatively simple, so I mentally kicked around a few color schemes without conclusion until I rediscovered the image of the ibis last week.
I spent a couple of hours wet-blending the colors, and then a few more hours glazing and stippling, shifting the scales green and pink and purple and yellow-ocher and orange, etc.
Who's Online 22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)