Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured since I was getting into this Kickstarter for a decent sum of money, I probably should… y'know… do some "research". I mean, I'm getting 100+ miniatures in a material I've never even seen. So, I placed my first order for Bones last week from Reaper (my closest FLGS is an hour away and doesn't carry Reaper). The first big surprise was how many figures I got for my money even at MSRP. I definitely experienced a little reverse-sticker-shock at checkout time.

The box of figures just arrived and I see why people are excited about the Bones line. They're gorgeous. The details is great, the mold lines are practically non-existent, they appear to require little to no prep work. They also feel more substantial than I was expecting. They're not as hefty as metal, of course, but they don't feel like cheap plastic the ways some *ahem* companies' plastics feel. These have more substance to them than I expected.

Haven't tried to paint them yet, but assuming they're not completely paint resistant, I'm giving these things two thumbs way up. I might just have to up my pledge on the Kickstarter. :)

P.S. Reaper included an MSP sample bottle with my order, a fairly dark brown of some sort. How would one go about figuring out which specific color it is? I'm guessing it's maybe Walnut Brown, but am not sure.

Has anyone noticed that the average distance between goals are getting further and further apart?

At the beginning they were averaging about $20k apart.

Then about $235k they jumped to $25k

Post $285k it was around $30k.

Post $435k it is now $40-50k between each goal.

Just thought you all might be interested....

That was stated over in the comments on the KS site - but you also have to take into account what is coming in each of those stretches. This current $50K stretch would have been 3 or 4 different stretch goals on the early ones (11 figures plus a large option). The next one is $40K for 6 freebies and one option (of 3 figures). Again, that would have been 2 stretch goals earlier. So yes - and no. Longer, but not longer.

Also, did anybody notice that instead of 4 figures, this goal was 12? ^_^ 3x the figures (and one of them is MASSIVE) for less than 3x the goal size??

P.S. Reaper included an MSP sample bottle with my order, a fairly dark brown of some sort. How would one go about figuring out which specific color it is? I'm guessing it's maybe Walnut Brown, but am not sure.

Samples like that are just that; samples. Very often they are a batch that did not come out correctly, or experiments for a new color. As such, finding an exact match in the line is slim-to-none. I'd recommend painting a swatch of it on white paper, scanning it, and trying to have the palette tool figure out the closest match. ::):

~v

Also keep in mind that it probably takes about $10,000 for each new mini's mold (or more?). Orcpocalypse may have seemed like a lot of minis, but you're also having to pay extra for them, and if you compare those with the orcs already in the 30 new minis then you'll notice that stretch goal wasn't even getting us anything new. I see it as being much better to have bigger stretch goals to get more meaningful rewards.

Samples like that are just that; samples. Very often they are a batch that did not come out correctly, or experiments for a new color. As such, finding an exact match in the line is slim-to-none. I'd recommend painting a swatch of it on white paper, scanning it, and trying to have the palette tool figure out the closest match. ::):

Okay, I didn't know about the palette tool. That's pretty cool, actually. Thanks!

• Super Administrators

There's been a lot of talk about the costs of plastic molds...does anyone know what it costs to make the metal molds, just so I have a frame of reference?

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Depends.

Depends on the number of channel switches. Depends on the number of cavities. Depends on the thickness of the steel. The list goes on.

Could be as low as $10K, or as high as $40K. Or more. It can vary wildly on a per-model basis.

So. It depends.

There's been a lot of talk about the costs of plastic molds...does anyone know what it costs to make the metal molds, just so I have a frame of reference?

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Depends.

Depends on the number of channel switches. Depends on the number of cavities. Depends on the thickness of the steel. The list goes on.

Could be as low as $10K, or as high as $40K. Or more. It can vary wildly on a per-model basis.

So. It depends.

i think he meant the molds for the metal figures, in which case costs rarely exceed $400 per mold. so... 1% the cost of the steel molds for the plastics.