Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

Yup. So where's the Buy a Round of Beer for all the Reaperpeeps, stretch goal?

Actually, that's a super secret Pledge level not listed on the KS page, rather than a stretch goal. :;):

@Jeff: Yes, the palette tool is pretty spiffy. I have nearly all my miniatures painted on commission. From time to time, it because necessary to have a different painter work on a project (say, a large Warlord army). If for any reason I can't get the colors used by the first painter, I shoot the mini, run it through the palette tool, and give the new painter the closest MSP colors to work on what they've got. Very handy.

~v

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the "new plastic figure" molds cost so much more because of the actual material cost? Or is it because of the laser scanning tech and how much power it takes to run all those fancy new machines?

Also it seems like in some things they will often charge clients a lot to offset the cost of their machines (X-Ray stuff?) when it doesn't actually cost that much. So are the laser dude operators sticking you with the bill (for possibly cheap molds) to cover their fancy laser device?

And you can mostly ignore these questions if you want. I ask because I'm 75% curious and the other 25% of my questioning purpose was just for fun. ::D:

Or maybe it's closer to a 60/40 split? It's hard to determine the fraction value of curiosity vs fun.

Also, I just have to ask... are these non-toxic? Or if, by chance, we happen to eat a bones orc "Nooo! Don't eat meeee!" ... "Om nom nom!!", would it disrupt our digestive systems and cause us to explode? ::o:

• Super Administrators
I think he meant the molds for the metal figures, in which case costs rarely exceed $400 per mold. so... 1% the cost of the steel molds for the plastics.

I bet you're right. Ah well.

Hey, Foxden Racing. Grab a VIP package for ReaperCon. We'll let you learn all about the process. :poke:

• Super Administrators
The the "new plastic figure" molds cost so much more because of the actual material cost? Or is it because of the laser scanning tech and how much power it takes to run all those fancy new machines?

Because these bad boys have to be etched into solid steel plates to handle the pressure and heat associated with injection molding machines. Time, material, skill… it all goes in to this process, and it ain't cheap. As was mentioned waaaaayy back in the beginning of this thread, a talented and experienced machinist can expect to earn a kingly salary for making these things.

I've seen a few people here and at the KS comment section talk about the big price jump between stretch goals. I think they aren't realizing that part of the price jump is because we're getting so many more minis, which means Reaper has to charge more to pay for the molds for all of the new minis in the stretch goal. Bigger stretch means bigger/more rewards!

It's a good thing I don't have an actual important job, like fireman, police, or paramedic.

Frantic Frannie: "My house! Why aren't you putting out my house!"

Me: "Quiet, lady, the kickstarter's about to roll over for the next reveal!"

Policeman Pat: "It is? Goll-eee! Let me have a look-see, too!"

Somewhere deep in secret lair:

Joker: "All the emergency services are busy at once, you say, Harley? Hmmm. This isn't one of mine, must be Two-Face's. Oh well, no sense complaining about the rain! Grab that big dollar sign sack and let's go to the bank! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

• Like 3

It's also a very sensible way to handle these later stretch goals. Back when some of the first paid stretch goals were coming out, there were only a few hundred of us involved. If the stretch goal is super-cool, and we all decided to kick in the $10 to get it, the pledge total would go up a few thousand dollars. Now, however, there are over 3000 participants. If Reaper reveals a cool stretch and everyone wants it, the totals could move up $30,000 just from everyone making a $10 bump to their pledge. Early on, small gaps made sense to generate interest and get the KS moving. As the end approaches, you don't want to fly by stretch goals too fast; if they come too fast, it becomes too easy, and people will be complacent about their pledges. By making it "harder" to get to the next stretch goal, but offering a bigger reward when you get there, it challenges the participants to dig deeper - either financially, or by spreading the word to new people - to achieve the new goals.

Being part of the team that helps it get to the next stretch goal is actually a reward unto itself, of sorts, much in the same way that cheering a winning sports team in the stadium is a shared victory.

Reader's Digest version of this post: We're being played, psychologically. And we like it. :;):

~v

• Like 4

There's been a lot of talk about the costs of plastic molds...does anyone know what it costs to make the metal molds, just so I have a frame of reference?

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Depends.

Depends on the number of channel switches. Depends on the number of cavities. Depends on the thickness of the steel. The list goes on.

Could be as low as $10K, or as high as $40K. Or more. It can vary wildly on a per-model basis.

So. It depends.

i think he meant the molds for the metal figures, in which case costs rarely exceed $400 per mold. so... 1% the cost of the steel molds for the plastics.

I bet you're right. Ah well.

Hey, Foxden Racing. Grab a VIP package for ReaperCon. We'll let you learn all about the process. :poke:

Sorry for the quote train.

I did mean for the metal molds, yeah...but having even a rough guess for the plastics gives a good frame of reference of just what Reaper's paying to make these things. I hope you get to keep the molds being used in China!

Either way, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Mind-blowing that the cost differences can be that much...but then again, my experience with casting was sand casting back in middle school metal shop. I've never worked with spin casting or injection molding.

I'd love to grab one of those packages, but I can't afford it...at least right now. I'd love to meet the crew, see the place, and experience Reapercon for myself. Maybe in a year or two when we've got a CAV3/CAVbones kickstarter going, once I've picked up a housemate [be it a live-in girlfriend/wife, friend in need, or sibling dying to get out of the nest] and/or paid off the car. I've already had to give up the Sophie set; I can't afford her and the buy-ins, so hopefully they come up again [if only the KS ended mid-september!].