Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that it's better to just get a cheap can of flat black spray paint ($1 to $5 a can). Preferably primer or with primer added. You can pretty much spray all your minis with that and I use much less bottled black primer now. xP I like to have everything painted completely black before I start. Why? Well if you miss a spot later on... it's just a shadow then! Even if it's a light/pale character, I just apply two or three layers of flesh paint and you'd never know it has a black undercoat.

It still helps to have bottled black primer for the itty bitty spots I miss though. Sometimes I can't really tell if it's a spot I missed or glare though. >.<

I do tend to use a lot of flesh & white colored types of paints. Some paint colors I have seem to last forever. The thing that helps the most is to just drop some paint extender / flow improver / water directly in the bottle. Paints tend to be VERY thick and applied directly before watering them down will just gunk up your mini. "That's a fairy? I thought it was a goblin! Look at those warts."

I still have some Ral Partha paints. Some might be dried up by now, but that's just my fault for not painting enough. If you add about 5 to 10 drops of flow improver to each bottle of paint, they should not only function better, but last a long.. long... long time. ^_^

Edit: Also if you thin your paints right, you will no longer be jealous of people with their fancy "air-brush" tech. Pssh.. let them spend hundreds of dollars on their cheat method. Just means they have a bigger mess to clean up and clogged spray nozzles. :B):

Does anyone know the average shelf life of the Reaper Paints? This may not be an "exciting" milestone, but it's definitely a substantial one. I own about 150 Reaper Paints (including all of Set 1), so I was just going to get Set 2, but I only own about half of Set 3 and it has colors that are sure to get run down. *coughmettalicsgaminggroupclockworkdragoncough*

Sorry, something in my throat there. ANYWAY, I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to double up on paint colors. Otherwise, I need to recruit someone to the painting side of minis with a gift. :)

I bought the whole shebang back in 2003 when they first came out. I've used up my high use ones (browns) several times over, but the rest are still good and still laying down nice today. Just keep the caps tight and give them a little shaking every few months and you are good to go. The purples and greens used on this guy are from my original buy.

Andy

Mostly I want to get enough to last me a while. I was thinking the first 2 paint sets, 24 colors (it's that or 3). I'm in Korea and getting paint here means going to Seoul on a hunt. I know where I can get citadel paints (and have some) but they are about 4$ for one. I have spray white primer as well. I painted a few of the minis I needed and then realized there were some colors I needed that I didn't have. Got busy and reorganized so I don't have a good place to spray primer. I'm hoping I can get around needing the primer with the Reaper figs but it doesn't sound like you can do washes with them.

it doesn't sound like you can do washes with them.

IME: you can still use washes, you just need a base coat of color on there first.

washing bare plastic didn't work well for me, but washing over a base color was no problem and in fact something we were encouraging people at PAX East to do.

I was just thinking about stretch goal levels, rewards, etc.. and realized something needs to be asked.

Okay, look at the Mister Bones guy. He is only included for free once with any order. 2 Vampire levels? 1 x Mister Bones. 10 Undertaker levels? 1 x Mister Bones.

Now then, this got me thinking.. what about the other reward levels? ::o:

As of right now a Vampire level gets +66 minis added on, from stretch goal rewards.

If we were to order 3 x Vampire levels, would we get 3x those 66 minis? Or just 1x those 66 minis?

Same question for Undertaker levels. If you get 2 x undertaker, would you get x2 the +100 minis from stretch goal rewards, or just 1x?

And what if we combine Undertaker & Vampire (which is what I want to do)? Would I get the +100 minis from Undertaker and the 66 minis from Vampire? Or only the 100 minis from undertaker, plus the 16 vampire exclusive minis? (166 vs 116)

If you pledge both Undertaker and Vampire you get complete sets of each. If you pledge 3x Vampire you get three sets of everything listed in that level, with the exception of Mr Bones who is one to a customer or $1 for additional ones.

I made it a whole 37 minutes. :bday:

Also, it appears that somewhere around 9am, CDT, today's total will pass the total pledges from 7/27, what had been our biggest day prior to the shenanigans of this week. Could we be looking at our first 100K day? :blink:

EDIT: And we just passed the 27th at $38,147 for the day, with 5 minutes to spare. Less than $2K from a new reveal. Gonna be a crazy day.

~v

Edited by Shakandara
  • Like 2

Anyone else starting to get that "stck on a runaway train with no brakes" kind of feeling? A little frightening and exhilarating at the same time...

Yes. At this point, I'm just kinda frozen in awe, I really can't even speculate at this point. The clockwork dragon blew some kind of fuse in my head.

• Like 1