Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

I only know a handful of people who play 4th ed DnD. Almost everyone I know plays Pathfinder.

I'm not judging one system over another, I simply don't care either way and just want to play the game. I'm just passing on what I've seen.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is quite the thing among D&D folk yes. If I wanted to play D&D nowadays it would definitely be pathfinder not WoTC's crazy mangled beast.

I consider everything from this point onwards a mangled beast:

Dmg2erevised.jpg

That cover marks for me the threshold. After that point the Power Creep took way off and reached the ridiculous and absurd. Skills & Powers; the Realms Priest Steroid Books; High Level Options. The Time of The Great Munchkin had come.

Also the sculpts for many of the pathfinder thingamajigs are really good, so that helps.

Agreed. No complaints about those.

• Like 1

It is quite the thing among D&D folk yes. If I wanted to play D&D nowadays it would definitely be pathfinder not WoTC's crazy mangled beast.

I consider everything from this point onwards a mangled beast:

Dmg2erevised.jpg

That cover marks for me the threshold. After that point the Power Creep took way off and reached the ridiculous and absurd. Skills & Powers; the Realms Priest Steroid Books; High Level Options. The Time of The Great Munchkin had come.

Bwahaaa! If you thought that was bad, it's best that you stayed w/ 2nd ed. Todays rules laywers/munchkins/min-maxers are a whole 'nother breed. For them the game just boils down to numbers. Incredibly sad really :down:

I'll swap you mine for two clockwork dragons and a cyborg ape. Deal?

Tempting, but man . . . that cyborg ape and Wyrmgear. Can't do it. They're just way too awesome.

I'll just have to settle for growing my army of goblins over time. And in a practical sense I probably don't need more than 100 anyway.

Table's only so big, and while I have a capacious backyard running a battle with all the gobbers I'd like to have would take more time to resolve than a 2-man Dragonball Z fight.

Which is like . . . decades.

Bwahaaa! If you thought that was bad, it's best that you stayed w/ 2nd ed. Todays rules laywers/munchkins/min-maxers are a whole 'nother breed. For them the game just boils down to numbers. Incredibly sad really :down:

To be fair, it's not so much the system as what people do with it. Except maybe with 4th, I get the impression that's just a skirmish game with some loose RPG trappings thrown on top. Though I don't know for sure, as I've never actually cracked open one of the books.

I do know of some groups who came on the scene with 3rd as their first experience and made a good go of it. For me, though, I had little reason to buy a new library of rules when the ones I had worked just fine.

But when that second edition revision happened? Man oh man, more munchkins than Oz. I banned those books from my game.

Currently our campaign is brutally bare bones. We're level 6 and the best thing we've found so far is a single suit of chainmail. I love it. Keep us hungry! Keep death near! Make it so whatever we need for the job, we can only at best get half of it.

Skinny, tired, bruised, battered, full of blood and raw courage - that's the game for me. Where life hangs on the roll of a die, the luck of the gambler, and the wits of the clever.

• Like 1

I'm downright rattled at this point. This has gone beyond my craziest expectations. I don't dare post on the trade thread yet because I have no idea what I am going to wind up with by the time all this is said and done...

Hey folks lets keep the D&D edition war over in General Fantasy and keep this thread dedicated to the cool toys Cobra Commander is getting from this KS. ::):

Hail Cobra.

Moar Cobra Commander Kickstarter adventures!!!

Well, you see, there is a reason I haven't done another. This is not the first time I've done something like this, and I'll tell you how it goes.

The first one is short, maybe 3-4 panels.

The second is a little bigger.

The third is a little bigger again.

Then suddenly it's up to 10 panels.

Then 20.

And once one got to over 100.

It escalates, is what I'm saying. So if I can think of one that I can do that's nice and short, there will be another. But I'm trying very hard not to fill this thread with grossly oversized Cobra Commander adventures.

Although if I come up with a really ripping one that's either not directly KS related or is rather a bit hefty for this thread, then I'll pop it up down in off-topic.

But I do want to do more.

• Like 1

Although if I come up with a really ripping one that's either not directly KS related or is rather a bit hefty for this thread, then I'll pop it up down in off-topic.

But I do want to do more.

And that is what off topic is for.

Tell you what . . . even though it means giving away my secret eBay identity, here's a little something that might tide you over:

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=comrade*raptor

• Like 3