Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Even if you bought four of everything and I mean everything and only paid the $25 int shipping to screw reaper. Reaper would just laugh and laugh. That is how cheap plastic is, plus there are a variety of ways to ship. Up to and including paying someone to stow it as luggage, lol. I don't think they have ever promised airmail for int either...

Here's a question I haven't seen asked or answered yet: I know it's a little early to ask this, and this kickstarter is going to put a huge workload on the Reaper folks, but what happens next? Will the pace of Bones resume the 30 or so new minis per year pace? Will efforts be shifted over from other areas to increase the rate, given the apparent demand for Bones? Will there be another Kickstarter or some other means of juicing up production of Round 2? What would the fans want to see?

Anyone else having trouble loading the Kickstarter. I haven't been able to see the map or the pics of the total minis for a couple of days now. I've tried both from home and office with multiple browsers. Both computers are pretty new. I was going to do another round of recommending people to hop on but if some of the big things they need to see won't load *shrug*.

Miar, it's been working fine for me, and I see all the same people posting on the comments over there. It is likely just the slow computers and the page has become so graphics intensive. My slow computer at work takes forever to load it as well.

Hope that is the case. Like I said my computer is fairly new (just replaced a bunch of the innards) and Korea's internet is fairly fast. I don't usually have any problems loading stuff and I'm hoping the problem is not more widespread. I definitely want to see the numbers keep going up.

On another note I would love to see some serpent men or more lizard type folks!

Anyway, the point I'm making about D&D and RPG's comes down to, as a wise sage once observed: The world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you might not be right for some.

That's what I'm talkin bout, Willis.

I'm a 2nd Edition man. This will not change. I will be 2nd Edition the rest of my days. Others will play Pathfinder or 5th Edition (or 28th Edition).

It's all good, baby. Ain't nobody needs to justify any of it. I play 2nd because I like 2nd, and the others are creepy and weird to me.

It's like music that way. For my tastes, nothing beats 2nd Edition. It's perfect. When I open one of those books, radiance pours forth and angelic choirs sing. I don't care about any D&D that came after that. I've got mine. I love mine. You don't have to love it like I love it. You can go love your things. Give me and the Elves Handbook a coupla minutes alone together, we haven't seen each other all week.

And anyway, I'm just happy to have avoided the division of the "edition wars" and all that came after. When I played, there was only AD&D (nobody ever played the basic version) and a 2nd guy could play 1st or a 1st guy could play 2nd. The two were virtually the same anyways.

Now it's all camps and factions.

But the bottom line, no matter who you are, is this:

Play what you like.

Edit for additional:

I can appreciate your attitude, but the truth of the matter's a little more complex than that.

Ok, I should explain that I make no claim that my attitude is rational. Just so we're clear. :-p If we're to get rational, however, these are truths:

- You're right, TSR was making a mess of things. Planescape comes to mind. Now, I love that setting. Never played it. Nobody was interested. Heck, even I wasn't interested in playing it. I just liked it. As I recall, the core of that game was no less than four $50 boxed sets. That's $200 just to have the whole setting. Great setting, but that's a lot to ask - especially when the other settings were also producing $50 box sets.

TSR was doomed anyways. That's rational. The year I spent playing snotnosed kids with the store's rigged Loser MTG deck (they buy more if they win) ate my soul and made me loathe that creation and the company that spawned it. It, and Wizards, became symbols of the fall of RPG's. That's hyperbolic, but dag-nabbit, that's the way my curmudgeonly self likes it. The best thing about an opinion is that it can be hyperbolic, so the way I express myself RE: wizards is at least partly tongue-in-cheek.

- The Shooting of Ral Partha by The Coward Wizards of the Coast is also partially hyperbolic. Wizards terminated the TSR license as a fair business move, to bring things first in-house, then to switch to the collectible prepaint model. As a rational business decision, it worked for them. Nevertheless, the effect was to gut something I loved dearly.

However rational that decision was for them, there's no reason for me to like any of it. I may understand it, but I can still hate it. And I do. And I choose to be hyperbolically irrational in my hatred (partly because it amuses me to do so).

- The entirety of the 1st/2nd era vs. the Later Era, as I see it, comes down to the same thing as liking a 1969 Camaro instead of a 2009 Camaro. Given a choice, I'll take the 69. Even if I have to rebuild half of it in my backyard to get it roadworthy. Even if the new one has 40 years of improvement. 2nd Edition is my classic car. Doesn't mean 3rd/4th are objectively horrible. A 2009 Camaro is also not objectively horrible, but I'll still tell everybody I think it looks like a bar of soap on wheels.

So take my opinions with a grain big box of salt. There's truth there, but it's tarted up with hyperbole 'cause that's how I roll. Take it only as serious as you see fit.

• Like 3

I like you buglips

The feeling is mutual.

In fact, thus far I haven't met a Reaperino I don't like. I mean, I suppose it's theoretically possible, but so far this seems like a pretty Ace crowd.

• Like 1

I think part of that might be the maturity level of the crowd here.

Being a lurker here for a long time I haven't seen any of the baseless arguments, name calling contests and trolling that in large part make up communication on the Interwebs in general.

I might just stick around :P

I think part of that might be the maturity level of the crowd here.

Being a lurker here for a long time I haven't seen any of the baseless arguments, name calling contests and trolling that in large part make up communication on the Interwebs in general.

I might just stick around :P

On my eBay board as my alter ego Comrade Raptor, I got around all that by staging a bloodless coup, declaring myself Emperor, staging a rigged election (the candidates were Comrade Raptor the Terrible or Comrade Raptor the Not So Bad), and then writing new laws to reflect the following:

Law #1

a. The Emperor is always right

b. Should the Emperor ever be wrong, the Emperor is still awesome

c. Should the Emperor ever not be awesome, rule of law defaults to Thunderdome

Law #2

a. Everything said about The Emperor is legally a compliment

b. Participation in this forum, whether by act of reading or posting, makes the participant a legal citizen of this board and thus a thrall of the Great Comrade Raptor, Unanimously Elected Emperor of Everything

c. All votes cast are legally cast for The Emperor Comrade Raptor, and not voting also counts as a vote cast for The Emperor Comrade Raptor

There's been nothing but praise for me since. :-p

Mind you, they don't know that I've been posting here on the side. Ssshhh!

• Like 4

Buglips, you are going to stuff yourself when someday, probably a bit after March, Arachne, myself and half the Reaper forum population show up at your door and demand you DM for all of us...just FYI...

EDIT: 'stuff' yourself? Really, nanny filter? :devil:

Buglips, you are going to stuff yourself when someday, probably a bit after March, Arachne, myself and half the Reaper forum population show up at your door and demand you DM for all of us...just FYI...

Oh, good. Glad I'm not the only one planning on heading over to Buglipsia. It's just a long boat ride north from my locale. We could stage at my place, and have a gaming and panting cruise up the coast, we just need to get a boat.

I probably shouldn't have put myself on the map, then.

Well, y'all better bring yer own grub!

• Like 1

Oh, good. Glad I'm not the only one planning on heading over to Buglipsia. It's just a long boat ride north from my locale. We could stage at my place, and have a gaming and panting cruise up the coast, we just need to get a boat.

It's always a panting situation around you, Arachne.