Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

I'm digging the Elves...and the 'low goal with lots of incremental stretches', especially since it's being done with an established community, is brilliant. I'm not sure how well it'd work for something that doesn't already have a loyal following, but for this it works; we're coming back multiple times per day to look at it.

I'm going to lay the guess here that the next teaser will be the paint tombstone, at either $195k or $200k. We can has a pattern: $20k per step, except for Ebonwrath whom was $25k.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I have a few people debating getting in because they want to start painting miniatures and, while this is a good deal miniature wise, they still need to get paints and such and their income is limited.

They need to remember that the funding for this is end of August, but the Bones minis won't actually ship until March 2013 or thereabouts. Plenty of time to pick up a small paint set and a couple of existing bones to practice on before the horde arrives next spring.

I've been using the metal version of the rats as my proxies for the Razig Rat Swarm datacard in Warlord. It has been a bear to remove them from their integral bases to mount them on wooden plank bases (3 done so far), so I am thrilled about getting Bones versions. They should be a breeze to cut off and rebase, meaning cleaner and faster work on them. They will definitely be first.

~v

Speaking of the Spring Horde, of what's already revealed / available what does everyone plan on painting first?

For my part, I think I'll start with the undead horde to add to my Necropolis army.

The hordes of monsters are first on my Que. I imagine I'll start with "Dungeon Attack", then "Undead Horde", "BBEG", then all the rest of the monsters I can drop on the table against my adventurers.

That's the plan..

While I think Bones is great epically for dungeon stocking, with first hand painting experience at ReaperCon this year, I gotta admit I wasn't as thrilled when they first came out. You really had to pack the paint on for the paint to actually stick. Not sure if the speed paint minis were cleaned before they were given to us but overall I was kinda of ehhh. Detail wise they are nice. Not as crisp as metal but still better then say pre-painted minis from Wizards or even Wizkids/Pathfinder. (Those are better then Wiz's but they still run the mushed detail & oddball pre-painted). Again thou not knocking Bones just expressing what I've gotten out of them so far. I have a couple that I need to experiment with. Gonna primer one & paint one like your suppose to & compare the results. Painting will a be more home based this time as my environment is totally different then ReaperCon/Texas. (We are hot just no where near as humid).

While I'm only into the KS at the 25 dollar range with all the neat stretch goals coming along I may have to raise my pledge. Granted I have most of the big'guns already so more or less I think I would be just pledging to see the goal stretched even further.

For the person that asked about Vallejo. There is a post regarding that paint on here but IIRC the paint tends to pool up on Bones. GW paint does as well. Best thing for you would be to put a coat of primer then go from there.

Just curious when Bones Ebonwrath is out in retail, will there be a way to just buy the wings? I think I picked up a extra set at RCon one year but if I didn't, would be a nice way to go to redo Kyra & Lavarath ^_^

2004: Reclining Sophie

2005: Cowgirl Sophie

2006: Bourbon Street Sophie

2007: Scifi Sophie

2008: Bomber Sophie

2009: Artist Sophie

2010: Biker Sophie

2010: Kneeling Sophie

2011: Adventure Sophie

2012: Pirate Sophie

The only reason Kneeling Sophie is included is because Bryan shot the wrong model for the graphic so now we can't take it out. Bad Bryan, no biscuit! So you were going to get 9 but now your getting 10.

Shakandara thank you for your post and Reaper Clark thank you for your "Official Like Post".

Wow I just ran across a post on RockPaperShotgun about the Bones kickstarter!

I am psyched to see you guys getting this much support on this!

I will be pledging in soon as my check gets here. I just have to talk myself outta a pirate flag first :bday:

Some of the people over on the kickstarter site were wondering what size the reaper from 01422 was. I know I have an issue estimating, even with the Bryangles ™.

So, here he is with some Pathfinder and Dark Heaven human sized figures for comparison.

Also, in the back is a frost giant from the newest Pathfinder plastic line (WizKids), an Otherworld fire giant, and the fire giant queen from the Dark Heaven line so folks can get an idea of how the giants will fit in with other companies giant sized figures.

(EDIT - I can't figure out how to add pictures on the 'new' forums)

Wow I just ran across a post on RockPaperShotgun about the Bones kickstarter!

I am psyched to see you guys getting this much support on this!

I will be pledging in soon as my check gets here. I just have to talk myself outta a pirate flag first :bday:

You do know you can pledge now and aren't asked to pay until the Kickstarter is over, right?

:devil:

(EDIT - I can't figure out how to add pictures on the 'new' forums)

You can't add pictures in General Reaper. Pictures are allowed only in select areas of the forum, such as Show Off and WIP (There are others as well, but those are what I use mostly). In other areas you'd have to URL link them from a photo site.

Are there odds in Las Vegas on where this kickstarter will finish?

Why yes there are...

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min/

With the current data - trending towards $591k with a projection between 513k and a cool million. Both 'experimental' functions, but still fun to watch.

Now you can obsess over both Kickstarter AND kicktraq!