Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah hah, Reaper! You screwed up! You gave me the Storm Giants for FREE. You almost got me over $400 with that Hydra, but you're still $5 short. And the giants would have done it, but nope, you gave them to me for FREE. Suckers!

Seriously though, those Storm Giants are beyond badass. And I love the sauciness of the female. She's all "Come hither, little man." Family friendly forum so I'll say no more, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Edit: I wonder what the stretch goal that we fail to reach is going to be. Because if there is always a new one, then there should be one we never reach.

If it turns out to be goroloths I'm going to have to beat someone up.

you know, you can get MORE giants for only $10, Gail...

I know, but I honestly can't imagine a scenario where I would need more than one Storm Giant.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but the models are so distinctive that I wouldn't want more than one on the table at a time. I'm very finicky that way.

That said, I may end up buying a few extra griffons - since they're plastic, they'll be great for doing conversions and turning some of my Brettonian Pegasus Knights into Griffon Knights. I already know that the one I'm getting for free will be converted into a proxy for King Louen Leoncouer. Because the choice between $0 for a proxy and $50 for GW-approved failcast is really no choice at all.

• Like 1

Storm giants aren't evil, though...

Ah, but from the distinctive shape of her club, and the 'storm and cloud giant' tag on the bonus map, I;d say she;s actually a Cloud Giant, who can be Neutral Good or Neutral Evil.

I know, but I honestly can't imagine a scenario where I would need more than one Storm Giant.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but the models are so distinctive that I wouldn't want more than one on the table at a time. I'm very finicky that way.

I'm like that with my 40k Ork vehicles. I own exactly one Trukk model kit and, had I not chopped it up for parts, one Battlewagon kit, yet I have three trukks and wagons. I own one set of killa kans but 3 squads. The extras are all hand-converted/scratch built because the GW ork vehicles are so beautifully convoluted and cobbled together looking that if you have more than one of them it completely destroys the illusion by creating uniformly cobbled together vehicles. Drives me batty.

That said, I may end up buying a few extra griffons - since they're plastic, they'll be great for doing conversions and turning some of my Brettonian Pegasus Knights into Griffon Knights. I already know that the one I'm getting for free will be converted into a proxy for King Louen Leoncouer. Because the choice between $0 for a proxy and $50 for GW-approved failcast is really no choice at all.

LOL, good call. I love the idea behind Finecast...it;s cheaper for GW to produce and ship...so they;re charging us MORE for it...meanwhile just dumping resin into old worn out pewter molds came out exactly how you think it would, resulting in the first few batches being absolutely awful...AND more expensive!

And yet here at Reaper we get cheaper Bones versions of metal models with little if any loss of detail. Amazing. It's almost as if they aren't greedy duck-squeezers.

• Like 4

And yet here at Reaper we get cheaper Bones versions of metal models with little if any loss of detail. Amazing.

Reaper is a cut above the rest; proving that you can be in it for the money, and keep your humanity. I seem to recall a few years ago when they had to raise prices and Ed wrote a full page apology in the calatogue. I knew right then that I'd be buying minis from them for a long time, and this whole Bones kickstarter has just cemented that feeling. I'm having way too much fun here.

Ah, but from the distinctive shape of her club, and the 'storm and cloud giant' tag on the bonus map, I;d say she;s actually a Cloud Giant, who can be Neutral Good or Neutral Evil.

and in two instance, on the stretch goal picture and in the descriptive text, they're both labeled as storm giants.

Storm giant and good cloud giants also trade, so there's always that to consider...

I stand by my original statement, but I concede in that that they both could easily be used as evil cloud giants.

• Like 1

I'm like that with my 40k Ork vehicles. I own exactly one Trukk model kit and, had I not chopped it up for parts, one Battlewagon kit, yet I have three trukks and wagons. I own one set of killa kans but 3 squads. The extras are all hand-converted/scratch built because the GW ork vehicles are so beautifully convoluted and cobbled together looking that if you have more than one of them it completely destroys the illusion by creating uniformly cobbled together vehicles. Drives me batty.

Same here! I made three trukks from one trukk kit by using some old, busted up Kinetix, some scrap pieces from a Pegasus Hobby Pipeworks set, and other odds and ends.

But the real reason I don't like having a bunch of the same model on the table is that when I GM I get confused and lose track of which of my monsters have acted when they all look the same. Sometime you can use paintjobs to differentiate them, but there is a reason my players call my old orcs (all of which came from an old Milton Bradley Heroquest set) the "Rainbow League of Death." When you put down seven orcs in red, orange, yellow, blue, green, indigo and violet tunics it gets a little silly.

And yet here at Reaper we get cheaper Bones versions of metal models with little if any loss of detail. Amazing. It's almost as if they aren't greedy duck-squeezers.

There's a reason why I have four Reaper minis for every one GW I have.

and in two instance, on the stretch goal picture and in the descriptive text, they're both labeled as storm giants.

Storm giant and good cloud giants also trade, so there's always that to consider...

I stand by my original statement, but I concede in that that they both could easily be used as evil cloud giants.

Ah, but look to art. Cloud giants are almost always pictured in various monster manuals to favor biog fancy clubs, whilst storm giants prefer honking big great swords. Not colcuisive, mind you but the big elaborate club is a pretty strong circumstantial bit of pro cloud-giant evidence.

What a nerdy @#!&ing tangent this is :P

Same here! I made three trukks from one trukk kit by using some old, busted up Kinetix, some scrap pieces from a Pegasus Hobby Pipeworks set, and other odds and ends.

I made trukks out of a Chimera and a Rhino, mainly to spite a guy on the forums who said they could never be made to look rickety and flimsy enough to pass as trukks. Spite is an awesome motivator.

One battlewagon I made from the lower hull kit of a Baneblade (purchased from a bits site for $30), mainly so I could look at people freaking out at me wrecking a $100+ model just to make a wagon.

The other was made of three rhink hulls grafted together, two in front, backwards as a giant assault ramp, one in back pushing...mainly to see if I could.

But the real reason I don't like having a bunch of the same model on the table is that when I GM I get confused and lose track of which of my monsters have acted when they all look the same. Sometime you can use paintjobs to differentiate them, but there is a reason my players call my old orcs (all of which came from an old Milton Bradley Heroquest set) the "Rainbow League of Death." When you put down seven orcs in red, orange, yellow, blue, green, indigo and violet tunics it gets a little silly.

True. With mobs of monsters like orks, I don;t mind similarity. It;s easy enough to say "the one in front of the dwarf." but big boss monsters should look unique.

There's a reason why I have four Reaper minis for every one GW I have.

Sadly, 40k is not so substitution-friendly as Fantasy. Any elf is an elf, but onnly a Space Marine can pass for a Space Marine without a lot of funny looks.

• Like 1

LOL, good call. I love the idea behind Finecast...it;s cheaper for GW to produce and ship...so they;re charging us MORE for it...meanwhile just dumping resin into old worn out pewter molds came out exactly how you think it would, resulting in the first few batches being absolutely awful...AND more expensive!

Seriously? I knew GW was too expensive for my tastes back in the late 90s but I had no idea the switch to resin "finecast" was an effort merely to up profits. And especially that they tried to use old molds (designed for pewter I assume) and pass them off as a better product. I am so glad I haven't bought GW minis in years - heck even their current paint line is pretty crappy.

I feel any 'good' company can make money and still be ethical. Reaper is showing off the very best qualities of American ingenuity and entrepreneurship. I'm proud to be supporting them again after such a long hiatus from the miniature collecting/painting scene. Good to be back.

• Like 1

Sadly, 40k is not so substitution-friendly as Fantasy. Any elf is an elf, but onnly a Space Marine can pass for a Space Marine without a lot of funny looks.

And that's why I prefer GW's LotR game to their W40K one--not only is the ruleset infinitely simpler and more balanced, but it's easier to use Reaper minis as characters!

Ah, but look to art. Cloud giants are almost always pictured in various monster manuals to favor biog fancy clubs, whilst storm giants prefer honking big great swords. Not colcuisive, mind you but the big elaborate club is a pretty strong circumstantial bit of pro cloud-giant evidence.

What a nerdy @#!&ing tangent this is :P

And the lack of a musical instrument is just as great a counterpoint.

I say we settle on both of them being either/or (like I said earlier) and leave it at that.

$2.06mil isn't happening fast enough... I WANT MY GIANTS!!