Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

We are so close to the paint pot reveal!!!

Anyone know the best way to remove the mold lines? I haven't tried anything yet, because I'm lazy.

Just a hobby knife works for me!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that I'm considering more and more jumping into this kickstarter. I just did the Sedition Wars: Alabaster not too long ago and if I do this, too, it will mean a ton of minis coming in the mail at around the same time. THe difference is that SW will be for painting and selling while these will be painted for use when I DM.

I am stilla little hesitant on the idea that you can paint these with no priming. Do you still need to clean them to get the mold release off? How is the production value as far as mold lines/bubbles/other resin/plastic problems go?

Did the math and currently going Vampire level with al the additional figures means you're getting 88 figures for $1.36 each. That's one heck of a deal!

As for quality. These are plastic figures that are vacuum molded aka no bubbles/pits. Mold lines will always be there, whatever. Yes they absolutely can take paint with no priming. The caveat for this can be read earlier in this thread. It starts back around pg19.

I have to say that I'm considering more and more jumping into this kickstarter. I just did the Sedition Wars: Alabaster not too long ago and if I do this, too, it will mean a ton of minis coming in the mail at around the same time. THe difference is that SW will be for painting and selling while these will be painted for use when I DM.

I am stilla little hesitant on the idea that you can paint these with no priming. Do you still need to clean them to get the mold release off? How is the production value as far as mold lines/bubbles/other resin/plastic problems go?

Did the math and currently going Vampire level with al the additional figures means you're getting 88 figures for $1.36 each. That's one heck of a deal!

Newer plastics molding processess are a huge improvement. They can get better detail than metal in some cases. I can't speak to the Bones in specific because I haven't seen them in person yet, though.

I'm also willing to take peoples word on it that the Bones can be painted without priming as long as you thin your paints (which I do anyway). That being the case, they have the potential for an even greater level of detail because you've eliminated a layer of coverage.

All in all, the only downside I see to the line is that I've read that longer thin bits like spears can end up warped and bent. I don't know anything about the plastic they use, so I don't know how correctable problems like that will be. I'd imagine that a heat gun would allow them to be shaped back into place if nothing else.

Anybody have more input on hat concern?

In any case, it's still a fantastic deal and it doesn't discourage me in the least.

All in all, the only downside I see to the line is that I've read that longer thin bits like spears can end up warped and bent. I don't know anything about the plastic they use, so I don't know how correctable problems like that will be. I'd imagine that a heat gun would allow them to be shaped back into place if nothing else.

Anybody have more input on that concern?

My experience with plastic minis (not Bones) is that a few seconds in some hot water - not boiling - just hot enough you can barely stand it will soften the plastic enough to bend it back into place. Then you hold it where you want it while it cools and Presto! Your mini is fixed. I've had to do this with a bunch of the minis that came with the D&D Adventure System games and we were able to do it with the hot water provided for making tea in a hotel lobby. Worked like a charm!

The Auld Grump, washing the minis is a good idea anyway, regardless of material.

I'm actually reasonably sure you don't need to wash bones minis.

The ones we offer at Paint and Takes are unprimed, Unwashed, and we've never had a problem unless the painter thinned their basecoat.

That's okay - I'll keep washing mine anyway - it won't hurt and it is a good habit to keep. Plenty of plastic an resin models do need washing. ::): (There is one company, in particular, that has a substance remarkably similar to very fine talcum powder on their resin models. Great detail, but wash first. Better than the material used by one of their biggest competitors (and a company that the sculptor used to work for), but then... washing a Findcash model might just cause it to melt.... ::P: )

The Auld Grump

Anybody have more input on that concern?

My experience with plastic minis (not Bones) is that a few seconds in some hot water - not boiling - just hot enough you can barely stand it will soften the plastic enough to bend it back into place. Then you hold it where you want it while it cools and Presto! Your mini is fixed. I've had to do this with a bunch of the minis that came with the D&D Adventure System games and we were able to do it with the hot water provided for making tea in a hotel lobby. Worked like a charm!

Another 'fix' is to drill out the spear and put a metal weapon in its place - you can get some variety that way too. (I replaced a gnoll's flail with a spear that way, mostly to see how easy it was to modify. Worked a treat.)

Hot water does, in fact, work just fine. The main reason to use metal weapons is if you like the look of the metal weapons.

The Auld Grump

WOOT!!! 12 coustom colors!

hmm.. will they ship withthe BONES?.. or Sophie?

Good question.

Also can $1 pledges can get them as well?

we've reached the 155k goal but it won't show us anything about the msp paint set reward! WTF!? :O

That's because someone has to manually make all the changes.

Question on the additional info on the ReaperCon VIP. Kind of a silly question, but just to be sure: Where it says "automatic entry into any class, game or event on the schedule", that's...as many events as you are interested in, right? Not any one event?

I'm also willing to take peoples word on it that the Bones can be painted without priming as long as you thin your paints (which I do anyway). That being the case, they have the potential for an even greater level of detail because you've eliminated a layer of coverage.

no, no, no.. do NOT thin for the first coat!

I luuuuuv me some new paint. I added my $18 in anticipation already.

Good question.

Also can $1 pledges can get them as well?

Anyone who has pledged can add the additional funds to receive the paints. You don't need to be a vampire for this one.

It's quite a good deal!