Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not as good as hobby paints (craft paints use bigger paint chips and are not made for thinning), but new painters aren't as skilled as experienced ones.

I have to take exception to one part of this - "not made for thinning".

True, they don't thin well with water. But I've had really good luck thinning them with Delta Acrylic Thinner. When thinned with the proper thinner, you get a lot better results with craft paints and can use many of the same blending/shading techniques as you can with the higher end paints.

But in the end you still can't quite get to the levels of the higher end paints.

Duh - which is why the last line of my post, that you so conveniently left out of your quote of my words, said:

"They'll never be as good as the minis specific paints, but saying they can't be thinned isn't exactly true."

I'm a little disappointed that you chose to comment on my statement while cutting out the context I provided.

They're not as good as hobby paints (craft paints use bigger paint chips and are not made for thinning), but new painters aren't as skilled as experienced ones.

I have to take exception to one part of this - "not made for thinning".

True, they don't thin well with water. But I've had really good luck thinning them with Delta Acrylic Thinner. When thinned with the proper thinner, you get a lot better results with craft paints and can use many of the same blending/shading techniques as you can with the higher end paints.

But in the end you still can't quite get to the levels of the higher end paints.

Duh - which is why the last line of my post, that you so conveniently left out of your quote of my words, said:

"They'll never be as good as the minis specific paints, but saying they can't be thinned isn't exactly true."

I'm a little disappointed that you chose to comment on my statement while cutting out the context I provided.

Cut to much, my fault

I'm getting both skele-drakes, I'ma make 'em wrassle.

Anyway, on the subject of all the parts involved in GW models, honestly that's a selling point for me. Why? Because it allows you to very easily customize every single mini in your army and make sure that no two guys are in the same pose. That's HUGE to me.

As I said, I;d rather have an army of dudes where no two are the exact same than an rmy composed of the same five guys in the same five poses but you can count every hair on their heads. The more varried group is always going to look better/more realistic than the alternative. Besides, with the right glue (styrene cement) it literally takes seconds to assemble and your bond points are stronger than the rest of the model.

• Like 1

If we're wrong, then nothing happens. We go to jail, peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it. But if we're right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

... but only the stupidest ones. We don't have any sort of shortage of stupid voters, so don't do it!

^_^

Anyway, on the subject of all the parts involved in GW models, honestly that's a selling point for me. Why? Because it allows you to very easily customize every single mini in your army and make sure that no two guys are in the same pose. That's HUGE to me.

As I said, I;d rather have an army of dudes where no two are the exact same than an rmy composed of the same five guys in the same five poses but you can count every hair on their heads. The more varried group is always going to look better/more realistic than the alternative. Besides, with the right glue (styrene cement) it literally takes seconds to assemble and your bond points are stronger than the rest of the model.

And that's a valid point (even if assembly is a turn-off for me). I mean, really though - you have to love this hobby. There's something for everybody. I don't like GW, but Reaper alone has more than 1,000 metal masterpieces for me.

Who needs more than a thousand minis anyway? :-p

• Like 2

Two of each!

I like metal minis, but the limited edition resin I got from Studio McVey is lusciously detailed. I think my favorite thing about coming back into the hobby is how much better the minis are than they were in the 70s/80s and even 90s. I don't even want to practice on my box of GW plastics, they're rounder than a...well, they're pretty rounded.

Oh, and I'm going for Nethyrmaul instead of Kaladrax. I like Kally, but I only need one Draco Lichicus Gigantium and my KS pledge won't cover a lot of what I need. Especially since the other Vampire set I was counting on my buddy buying won't be happening.

I'll probably get a Kally later.

And that's a valid point (even if assembly is a turn-off for me). I mean, really though - you have to love this hobby. There's something for everybody. I don't like GW, but Reaper alone has more than 1,000 metal masterpieces for me.

Um, (whistles as he walks away)

What!? You don't have more than 1000 miniatures? Newb. :lol:

• Like 2

What!? You don't have more than 1000 miniatures? Newb. :lol:

Well, I don't have 1,000 Reaper . . .

I wonder how much 1,000 Reaper would go for? Say, SKU 02001-3000?

About 10k? Sound about right, given most are small but there's a few big uns in there?

Really not that much when you think about it. I mean sure, that's like . . . a car. But you could ride a bike. Totally ride a bike.

Maybe not while transporting the minis, though.

ETA: I heard a GW joke a while back. Somebody asked why 40k was called that, and the reply was that's how much it costs to build your army. :-p

• Like 4