Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

Okay, I sent an email in, but since nobody has gotten back to me (understandable considering the volume) maybe the answer is on this thread somewhere that I missed.

I wanted to pledge $250, but Kickstarter glitched and only took $100. Is there any way I'll be able to get in on the extra $150 for add-ons? My hobby group has all pitched in for the paint sets and we are looking forward to getting our supply restocked.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I sent an email in, but since nobody has gotten back to me (understandable considering the volume) maybe the answer is on this thread somewhere that I missed.

I wanted to pledge $250, but Kickstarter glitched and only took $100. Is there any way I'll be able to get in on the extra $150 for add-ons? My hobby group has all pitched in for the paint sets and we are looking forward to getting our supply restocked.

Hi Manic

Copied directly from Update #59

There is a lot of repeat info here, but it may be worded better now. Sorry if we are being annoying, but we want you well informed.

Reaper will have a post Kickstarter pledge manager website!

Because of your incredible response to this Kickstarter, it’s taking Kickstarter a while to compile the backer data. After we sift through this mountain of information, we will send you an email with a link to the Reaper Pledge Manager. Please add [email protected] to your email white list so you don’t miss this important email.

Using our Reaper Pledge Manager (RPM), you’ll get a link in your backer survey or in a subsequent email shortly thereafter.

Inside the RPM, you can:

- Manage your contact information (Address, Phone, Email etc.)

- Upgrade your pledge level selection

- Increase your pledge amount

- Choose or change options and extras

- Consolidate your shipments

- Pay for extra options via Paypal or credit card

Again, the link to access our Reaper Pledge Manager (RPM) will be published in several places and will be emailed to you as well. When Kickstarter gets us the data, we will email our backers the link to the RPM.

Important Notice for Crown Jewel Backers: If you pledged a Crown Jewel, we’ll contact you separately for the specifics of your package, but you’ll still be able to manage your options and extras inside the RPM

I'd say the answer is yes, you can add money

The werewolf I ordered arrived and got to say for all the images of people bending the bones figures around it feels a whole lot sturdier than I was expecting. I've not got the metal version for a direct comparison but it certainly has all the detail I would expect.

• Like 1

I pledged at Vampire level plus more for options, and I plan on adding more money when the Pledge Manager comes out to select even more options. But I have no interest in the Kickstarter Sophie, but am wondering if there is any value in getting her anyway to keep as a collectable and then maybe put her up on Ebay, or would I be better off just trading her in for a dragon? I've never dealt with collectable miniatures, having only recently delved into the world of miniatures, so I don't know if there would be any demand for her. Does anyone know?

Well, in theory, there are probably in the neighborhood of 30,000 sophies for reaper to churn out as a result of this kickstarter. Naturally lots of them will be traded in for bonus swag, but even then there's bound to be at least ten thousand in the hands of collectors. That's a pretty big pool. Meanwhile anyone really hardcore into collecting sophies would have bought it on the kickstarter.

Plus, Reaper seems to have put most if not all of their previous sophies on their site eventually, chances are KS sophie will be there as well.

If I were you, I;d go for some dragons.

• Like 1

I agree re: Sophie as an investment. I could of course be completely wrong, but I suspect the majority of current Sophie collectors will already have her through this campaign, and there will be several folks that get her intending to sell on eBay later. Combined with the fact that current prices for no-longer-available Sophies is still around $20-$30 ($10 originally)... I'm guessing it would be quite a long time before there were enough new Sophie collectors to make up demand, that wasn't being met by others selling on eBay, before you'd see a huge price increase. It's a cool model, but I'll be trading mine for Nethyrmaul.

Well, considering your option is to trade her out for a deep discount on some big lovely minis, you then have to hope that not only does she become rare, and not only does she become worth more than the $25 reaper is willing to give you, but she also has to become worth more than the retail value of the lovely big dragons you'll be getting in her place, which will likely end up being half-again or double what the KS price is. So I;d say chances are you won;t be getting $40-$50 for KS sophie any time soon. Unless none of the options interest you, you;re better off trading her in.

Demand is the key. I mean, I just got a Takhisis for under $100 a month ago. That's a big fat dragon that retailed for close to $70 here to begin with, limited to 5,000 - and there's no way any more will be produced.

But, that said, who'd have thought the Reaper DOOM minis would ever be worth goodly bits of money? That's the thing with speculation. These Sophies might not be worth anything. 5 years from now they might be going for over $200. It's not likely, but that's true of any similar collectible that winds up worth something.

And that something doesn't have to be rare, there just have to be fewer than necessary in the market to meet demand. The prices I pay on TSR Ral Partha minis are sometimes ridiculous and, outside of Takky (best deal I ever got), not a single one was produced as limited edition. Just common retail stuff, with the peculiar mix of being popular and now OOP. There could be tens of thousands of Rakshasi kicking around out there, nobody knows, but it's still not going to help me get one for less than 1000% original retail.

ETA: And he's one of the cheaper ones.

@Buglips. The thing is, Reaper does have a history of making Sophies available again after their original limited release.

As recently as last Christmas there were several available as part of Reapers 12 Days of Christmas promotion, and then again in this kickstarter there's a case full of them. So long as Reaper never truly puts them out of production, their investment potential is limited.

But, that said, who'd have thought the Reaper DOOM minis would ever be worth goodly bits of money? That's the thing with speculation. These Sophies might not be worth anything. 5 years from now they might be going for over $200. It's not likely, but that's true of any similar collectible that winds up worth something.

And that something doesn't have to be rare, there just have to be fewer than necessary in the market to meet demand. The prices I pay on TSR Ral Partha minis are sometimes ridiculous and, outside of Takky (best deal I ever got), not a single one was produced as limited edition. Just common retail stuff, with the peculiar mix of being popular and now OOP. There could be tens of thousands of Rakshasi kicking around out there, nobody knows, but it's still not going to help me get one for less than 1000% original retail.

Exactly.

Anyone who's lived through the various comic book "variant covers" gluts knows this. Just because the *supplier* slaps on a "limited edition" or "variant cover" or seals the product in a cheap poly wrapper doesn't mean that item is going to go up in value. Certainly the most valuable comic books (Superman #1, Cerebrus #1, TMNT #1) were NOT limited editions. They were just comic books that were sold like any others, but whose demand eventually outstripped supply.

I should mention, however, that I *do* know someone who made money with these "limited edition" comic books. He bought multiples copies, bought a spot at a comic book convention soon afterwards, and sold them for a nice profit a few weeks earlier -- to speculators who thought these "limited edition" comics would be worth holding onto.