Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, this Sophie is not likely to command high prices as its likely that even with the ability to swap her for something else there are going to be a whole lot of them out there. The Urban Legion version might be more valuable as there were only 48 specific backers, but there is no way to tell how many people "upgraded" theirs to the UL version. The RCon Sophies that appeared on the website were mostly likely (and I do not know this for a fact), the remains of the production runs from the conventions. There was a cry of outrage when the 5th Anniversary box was released as many felt that it diluted the market value of the RCon sophies at that time and here we see that happening again with the Liche level Sophie box. Ultimately, I buy them to paint them and collect them only in the sense that I like the series. I didn't see anything (and I could have missed it) that says this Sophie is a Kickstarter exclusive so both versions may well be going into the regular catalog along with the other regular production Sophies. The Sophies you won't find in the catalog are the convention exclusive ones, so if you were going to invest then you should purchase the Sophie box in the Liche level.

Update - I was going through the front page of the kickstarter and I did find where it says that both versions are exclusive to the kickstarter. So ultimately value will be based on the final production run.

So I am still a little confused on the issue of the "Kickstarter (metal) Sophies" from reading these and the KS forums.

Only those people who made an appropriate level of pledge during the Kickstarter will get a Sophie correct? Non KS pledgers would not be able to get a KS Sophie and you cannot get her ever again, correct?

As per the Main pledge page during the KS campaign:

"What Do I Get For Supporting You?

We have a number of opportunities available for our supporters.

These include, but are not limited to, various apparel items, a chance to receive each of the new 30 plastic models, a metal Kickstarter-exclusive Sophie model, Design-Your-Own-Miniature packages, not to mention some of the most valuable Crown Jewel one-of-a-kind items from the Reaper archives. (And we even have some incredible stretch goals in mind – we remain ever optimistic!)"

I was always under the impression that the "Kickstarter-exclusive Sophie model" is a limited edition reward for backing this project within the Kickstarter pledge drive time frame.

It gave me incentive to buy in, and I actually added axtra money in my KS pledge to buy a few more seeing as this would be the only time you could get one. I planned on paying the extra for the "Urban Legend Sophie" in multiples.

I recently read the "Creator Reaper Miniature"'s thread posted here from 2 days ago and he stated:

"Other than Sophie, nothing here is exclusive"

So I am hoping they stay true to their word and what they originally offered in the Kickstarter and I would really like to have official word on this, otherwise I pledged too much money in the Kickstarter campaign and will have to figure out what to do with the extra money that I spent on those exclusives because if they aren't actually exclusive I didn't want more of them.

Plus, they are letting new people get in on the Kickstarter for a limited time. Even if the KS Sophie is available to those people, it still limited to the Kickstarter.

I'm sorry, but if anyone went in for extras as an investment, that's on them. That wasn't the point of the Kickstarter at all.

It's a smokin' hot succubus on a chopper! 'Nuff said.

ill prefer a fantasy Sophie chopperless

1501.jpg

And this is the Rcon version that is probably worth the most. Even with the re-release for the 5th anniversary and the Liche edition the number of this in the blister from the 1st RCon makes it the rarest. I would guess less than 200 (Again that is a WAG estimate) were produced and blistered for the convention. It is also one that you could not purchase online during the convention like most of the other ones. I can't remember which RCon they started doing that.

As far as the exclusive for KS, if Reaper said it was an exclusive for the KS then it is exclusive to the KS. Just remember that its likely that the number of exclusive KS Sophies produced is going to exceed the grand total of all the RCon Sophies that have been produced. I guess that is the point that needs to be made we are looking at the Convention edition Sophies which are not in the catalog. The RCon Sophies were only available at or during the time of the convention that they were the featured miniature (mascot?) for. They have occasionally made appearances at other times; the Fifth RCon anniversary Sophie box set (again only available during the convention) and last year during the 12 days of Christmas which I fully believe was just remaining stock that was left after the conventions. There is also a convention only Sophie that was available at any convention that Reaper attended that year as well as the Sophies for the Artist Con. I don't see any of those in the catalog so I'm guessing the few Artist Con Sophies were limited to that show as well.

Again don't worry about the exclusivity of the KS Sophie, just remember that there are potentially a lot of her out there which is going to affect the collectible value. If there are a 100 ebay postings for the KS Sophie the week after everyone gets her they won't be going for very much. The UL version might be a different story, but then until the pledge manager comes out there is no way of knowing how many people will be "upgrading" to that version.

I'm sorry, but if anyone went in for extras as an investment, that's on them. That wasn't the point of the Kickstarter at all.

I'm not following you here Baphomet. While the point of the Kickstarter was to help Reaper launch more Bones models, our selections of various pledge rewards were based on the descriptions given, and finding out later that things aren't what they seemed would certainly warrant at least a question (if not outright hostility). Say Canuck was in for $22 for a T-shirt and after the Kickstarter closed it was announced they're only available in sizes XS and S, which don't fit him. Would we say "I'm sorry but that's on you. That wasn't the point of the Kickstarter at all."? It's totally reasonable to assume that when you say Sophie is a Kickstarter-exclusive reward, that people would act relying on that, right? Presumably by ascribing greater value to it than, say, a non-exclusive model. For some of us it was no big deal, and we're trading her in. For others it might have been a huge deal, and made them pledge $1000 just so they could get 40 of them.

In this case, Canuck, the exact number produced will be unknown unless Reaper tells us. There were almost 17,000 pledgers that will qualify for one. Each "double vampire" or "triple vampire" pledger will be eligible for 2, or 3 of them. Everyone who throws in another $3 could upgrade to the UL version. The expectation is that Sophie will be available in the Reaper Pledge Manager for existing KS backers to add more to their order, to trade them in for $25 option credit, OR for new customers that will be coming in under the higher prices ($150 for Vampire, +20% on options) as "Vampire" is defined as the 30 new Bones, Dungeon Attack, KS Sophie, and all the free stretch rewards. This increases (slightly?) the availability of Sophie outside the time range of the Kickstarter campaign, but is arguably still part of the "Kickstarter campaign".

The number produced of each variety will depend on the personal choices of all those people. There might be a ton of people "stocking up" on them by throwing in additional cash and selecting her in the pledge manager. There might be some nebulous multinational corporation that's going to buy 5000 in the RPM to use as a form of reserve currency to hedge against a second wave of the global economic meltdown. Or, almost all 17,000 might be trading her in for Nethyrmaul. The current expectation is also that this model will not be available for retail sale in any form after the KS campaign, although the fact that it's included in the Undertaker reward level has raised the question if those will be packed in a blister, which would make those few available for sale.

I trust buglip's hunch here, but it is still *possible* there would be a future production run of them, as the Reaper Con Sophies were limited previously and reproduced for this campaign. Might this model be available in a future KS campaign? Unless Reaper is going to destroy the sculpt and mold, it will always be possible for some future business decision to include making more. Another example to consider is Anvall Thricedamned, a limited edition resin model, 100 made, numbered, sold out, etc. which is going to be one of the new Bones models in this Kickstarter. Certainly the new one is not resin, so no one will mistake it for the collectible limited edition copy... but if you bought Anvall thinking that this would be the only way to have a model of this sculpt, it turns out you were mistaken.

Anyway, those are all the facts I know of. Buying limited edition miniatures for investment purposes is always a risky proposition, but for my two cents I think your questions are all reasonable ones. Hopefully someone from Reaper can stop in and explain their policies and procedures surrounding the "limited edition" or "limited availability" labels on some of their products. That should help you decide how much you want to invest, if anything.

I trust buglip's hunch here, but it is still *possible* there would be a future production run of them, as the Reaper Con Sophies were limited previously and reproduced for this campaign.

Remember, the ReaperCon ones are the exception. So far as I can tell, they're the only limited edition figures to ever get a re-release of any sort.

Every other exclusive (and there are a few) has . . .

wait a minute . . .

*checks kickstarter website*

The in-person 2010 Sophie is in the Liche level set.

Well, nurtz. I'm a gonna have to git me a Liche level.

. . . but need $110 of Bones extras . . .

. . . but 2010 Sophie!

. . . but Bones extras . . .

. . . need . . . more . . . MONEY!

• Like 2

@Heisler. I think they started the online sales of Sophie during reaper con in 2007 with the SF Sophie. Reclining Sophie, Bourbon St and Cowgirl were con only IIRC. I know I didn't attend '07 and ordered several of the SF Sophie. Although maybe it was the'06 Bourbon St.

The convention special Kneeling Sophie was an error in the photography. They placed her in the pic rather than one of the RCon Sophie's. Reaper opted to include her AND the unphoto'ed Sophie rather than deal with the complaint she was pictured but not included. Pretty generous if you ask me.

Kick starter exclusive does not preclude Reaper from selling this Sophie during the pledge manager phase nor from any future kickstarter endeavors.

Now say you were at PAX Prime or some other large convention this year waiting for your paints and Sophies and Bones and saw them selling the KS Sophie. Then maybe you would have cause to complain.*

* This is a hypothetical situation. Any relationship to some other real company is purely coincidental.

This Reaper Kickstarter was awesome, and I am thankful that they did this and gave us so much. I did not expect to get as much product as we got for our pledges of Vampire+.

That being said, I, and others do care about this issue (limited edition KS Sophie) obvisouly. Some people, like myself, do expect to get what we pay for. And I supported them during the KS campaign and paid extra for exclusive KS Sophies. Like I stated before, on the main page of this KS project Reaper stated:

"What Do I Get For Supporting You?

We have a number of opportunities available for our supporters.

These include, but are not limited to, various apparel items, a chance to receive each of the new 30 plastic models, a metal Kickstarter-exclusive Sophie model, Design-Your-Own-Miniature packages, not to mention some of the most valuable Crown Jewel one-of-a-kind items from the Reaper archives. (And we even have some incredible stretch goals in mind – we remain ever optimistic!)"

So, yes, they were advertised as being exclusive to the KS pledge drive. That is what I and others on these forums are concerned about because obviously, we bought in and supported Reaper based on this statement.

I would like to know BEFORE I have to make my final selections that I send to Reaper what exactly is the status of the Kickstarter Sophies. Are they exclusive to the Kickstarter backers and will they, consequently be of a limited edition.

This shouldn't be difficult to let us know. And I would appreciate knowing the answer before I make my final selections due to pledging extra money for Sophies. I only pledge the amount I did because of the extra limited edition Sophies.

I am going to ask Reaper about this and see what they say.

GregR

you want to waste reapers time by getting them to explain what "limited edition" or "limited availability" mean?

"Waste" is your opinion. I don't care what Reaper means by the term. Others do. For those that do, I hope someone from Reaper can find the time for them. If there's something you care about, I hope Reaper can find the time for you as well. See how this works?

Considering today is a holiday, perhaps it is time to chill until someone can make an official statement.

But I cannot help but add that the word "supporters" is pretty open ended. Based on many things, I do not think there will be much of a resale value for quite a long while.