Kickstarter Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone who was interested, the clockwork dragon is painted and up in the preview gallery, Kaladrax is painted awaiting photography and I'm mostly through Nethyrmaul. I hope to be done with it by m

Hello everyone! First post here on the forums.   I am a homeschool mom, and while taking my son out to do some donations to a local shelter, we stopped by when my son spotted a local game store. H

.     .     .     .

Tell the Fiasco folks that. After WW plugged Fiasco on his web show, sales skyrocketed.

Also, Target's carrying the games mentioned on his show. I'm sure quite a few game companies are trying to get their games on his show...!

While a lot of poeple loathed Wesley Crusher on STNG, but man Wheaton is frigging hilarious and he has picked up mountains of fans for his podcasts and appearances after the show, he is really funny. I just can't figure out what the Reaper Kickstarter Tie in is because I wasn't at that con, and sinc ethey are mass mailing it to like 20,000 people I assume it has some significance. They haven't posted an update to their retail website in almost two weeks but they've take the time to send 20,000 people E-mails about the dude, and plastered it on their facebook page.

Wil Wheaton is considered the poster boy for nerds and geeks, he has a web series where he tries out games with other "celebrities" like Felicia Day and Popular game maker Steve Jackson. He is still playing a nerd on shows such as Leverage and Eureka. And his semi famous "Wheton's Law" is "don't be a dick"

So yeah, I let out a nerd girl squeee when I saw the update.

Also check out "Acquisitions Incorporated" the D&D game that the guys behind Penny Arcade and PVP, along with Wil, play via podcast and PAX. No one beats actors for cheesy elf role playing.

Since Kickstarted still hasn't given them a finally tally on money per the update I am guessing there ain't much they can do right now...

I just can't figure out what the Reaper Kickstarter Tie in is because I wasn't at that con, and sinc ethey are mass mailing it to like 20,000 people I assume it has some significance. They haven't posted an update to their retail website in almost two weeks but they've take the time to send 20,000 people E-mails about the dude, and plastered it on their facebook page.

Their regular release cycle is usually twice a month. Or roughly every two-ish of weeks. That really hasn't changed. Usually it's a little slower at the end of the Con season just because the staff are spent.

It also takes very little effort to make one update on a KS and a Facebook page that is then seen by those 20k people. It's not like they spent the time to individually write an email to each person. Reaper is a company that is loaded with staff who are fans and supporters of the gaming community as a whole. Getting Wil to pose with their product (or even snagging a candid of him) is just kind of cool. It was Reaper having some fun, particularly the staff that went to PAX Prime. He's holding one of their Bones, probably from the Paint n Take. The product they just spent 30 days trashing KS records with. What further tie in is necessary?

The staff at Reaper were excited about a moment they had, that they chose to share. Their own little taste of Nerdvana.

• Like 1

Publicity for the Bones product. Not quite a celebrity endorsement... But then WW isn't quite a celebrity...

;)

i ****ing hate wil wheton, and i dont want him related to bones, let him beg for attention elsewhere

• Like 1

Now Sheldon...

ROFLMAO!

I'm guessing that another reason it got a mention/picture was that during the KS there was frequent talk in the comments about getting nerdlebrities to tweet about the project to increase exposure. Wil Wheaton was one of the names, and there he is holding one.

Getting Wil to pose with their product (or even snagging a candid of him) is just kind of cool. It was Reaper having some fun, particularly the staff that went to PAX Prime. He's holding one of their Bones, probably from the Paint n Take. The product they just spent 30 days trashing KS records with. What further tie in is necessary?

The staff at Reaper were excited about a moment they had, that they chose to share. Their own little taste of Nerdvana.

Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't intended as a criticism, the way the thing was worded, something to the effect of "can you tell us who that is, and what he's holding?" I was thinking that it was either the beginning of a contest or a clue about some new line, like are they going to make Star Trek minis?/ I've got no "bones" to pick with Reaper (see what I did there, I'm super clever) I love their stuff, been buying it for many years, it just seemed too obvious with a pic of Will Wheaton holding a bones fig to me.

This might seem like a silly idea but as far as the RPM goes, wouldn't it be simpler to add all the levels available and additional pledge options as unique items to a special section of the already existing Reaper Online store - then generate unique customer codes of "store credit" in the amount already pledged by each individual. This solves the issue of being able to pick and choose what you want to get for donation AND allows you to give more by buying more items if you so desired but were unable to.

I mean, why attempt to reinvent the wheel. You've already got the infrastructure storefront. For quality assurance, you can even release the codes in waves so as to prevent server overload and not be hit with 17k+ orders in one day.

• Like 1

Couple more murmurs from the interwebz - less specific about Bones on these two...though they do get honorable mentions. The first is from the KS Blog itself, proclaiming 2012 to be the Year of the Game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/the-year-of-the-game

The second from GamesIndustry

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-06-kickstarter-experiencing-the-year-of-the-game?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mediaredef+%28jason+hirschhorn%27s+Media+ReDEFined%29&utm_content=FeedBurner

The GamesIndustry article is of importance for Reaper as it is a popular site which isn't targeted to the normal audience for Reaper (primarily to digital gamers). That means that there are more new eyes who will be looking at Bones who haven't already (hopefully not so many that they crash the RPM when it launches though). Along with GamesIndustry, the KS blog post has been picked up by dozens of other outlets who offer either echos or editorial opinions (and continue to spread the word).