Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

(Also, minor nitpick: the names of Ebonwrath and Deathsleet are switched.)

Dangit! Thats just the sort of thing that will annoy me now that its pointed out. :P Will be an easy fix, though... tomorrow.

Also one note that I forgot to mention: Kaladrax is not based on a "shown for scale" guy like the others. He is based on the size of his attendant in the picture (standing in the curl of his tail), assuming its roughly the same as the scale guy. So he could be a bit bigger or smaller depending how close the match is.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Reaper on the Kickstarter. Obviously a huge success for Reaper, and drooling over the rewards reminded me "Oh yeah! I remember, I like minis!" and has nudged me to get back into things... Even if the KS itself was disappointing for me. (Came up just a few dollars short for Vampire by the deadline, and then when I tried to throw in for Ghast instead I got caught in the end confusion and ended up with nothing at all ::(:)

But, that wasnt why I started this post. While I was sitting and moping, looking longingly at all the different items and extras, I got to musing over the scale of the big stuff and trying to sort out the relative scales in my head. With so many minis, though, it was hopeless. Then it occurred to me, it was a perfect chance to exercise my photoshop techniques that have been getting rusty and whip up a scale chart for practice (based on the "shown for scale" guy).

So... I thought Id share in case anybody is interested. Theres a long version all in a line, and a square version that fits on screen better (plus a really big version of the long one)

(Also: First post. Hi! ^_^)

Thanks. That's a very helpful comparison!

Congrats to Reaper on the Kickstarter. Obviously a huge success for Reaper, and drooling over the rewards reminded me "Oh yeah! I remember, I like minis!" and has nudged me to get back into things... Even if the KS itself was disappointing for me. (Came up just a few dollars short for Vampire by the deadline, and then when I tried to throw in for Ghast instead I got caught in the end confusion and ended up with nothing at all ::(:) But, that wasnt why I started this post. While I was sitting and moping, looking longingly at all the different items and extras, I got to musing over the scale of the big stuff and trying to sort out the relative scales in my head. With so many minis, though, it was hopeless. Then it occurred to me, it was a perfect chance to exercise my photoshop techniques that have been getting rusty and whip up a scale chart for practice (based on the "shown for scale" guy). So... I thought Id share in case anybody is interested. Theres a long version all in a line, and a square version that fits on screen better (plus a really big version of the long one) (Also: First post. Hi! ^_^)

So what kind of giant is the undead giant supposed to be based on? It's way bigger than a Storm Giant.

Congrats to Reaper on the Kickstarter. Obviously a huge success for Reaper, and drooling over the rewards reminded me "Oh yeah! I remember, I like minis!" and has nudged me to get back into things... Even if the KS itself was disappointing for me. (Came up just a few dollars short for Vampire by the deadline, and then when I tried to throw in for Ghast instead I got caught in the end confusion and ended up with nothing at all ::(:)

But, that wasnt why I started this post. While I was sitting and moping, looking longingly at all the different items and extras, I got to musing over the scale of the big stuff and trying to sort out the relative scales in my head. With so many minis, though, it was hopeless. Then it occurred to me, it was a perfect chance to exercise my photoshop techniques that have been getting rusty and whip up a scale chart for practice (based on the "shown for scale" guy).

So... I thought Id share in case anybody is interested. Theres a long version all in a line, and a square version that fits on screen better (plus a really big version of the long one)

Hello and welcome!

This is awesome, thanks! Really cool reference. If you do go back in and tweak at it, I have two suggestions: first, add in the storm/cloud giants, please! Now that we've got Yehpima's sculpt (with bryangles!) in the preview gallery, there's maybe a sense of scale there. Second, they've said Nethyrmaul isn't likely to have all that rocky outcropping as a base; it might be more accurate if you lowered him in the image so his tail--not the rocky base-- is at "ground level."

This is so cool. I love seeing the whole lot lined up like this (tell me, sir, do you see the man or monster who mugged you last night?).

So what kind of giant is the undead giant supposed to be based on? It's way bigger than a Storm Giant.

My guess is, it's a storm giant skelly, permanently enlarged by the necromancer who raised it. Or a titan skelly.

Or maybe it's just Cthulhu without the baggy-saggy frogtopus suit. What we've never realized is that the "elder god" was actually just a guy in a mascot costume. The Fomalhaut Fightin' Frogtopi! Inter-galactic Collegiate League Moonball Champions!

Moonball, so you know, is played like Jai-alai.

First off, hello and welcome. ::):

I know the intention is good, but please take scale comparisons like this with a grain of salt. The scale comparison pictures in the KS between the Templar Knight and the various models were close, but not perfect. Angle of the shot, rotation of the figure, distance from the center of the lense, and other factors can cause the figures to appear large or smaller than they actually are if they were to be photographed side-by-side. Adding them all in to one shot like this compounds these errors and can significantly distort the actual scale of a particular model. The pictures are a great tool for general scale, but don't get too bummed/excited that a model is/isn't the size you expected it to be based on this.

I own about 3/4 of the models from that pic that are in production, so if anyone wants to see side-by-side photos of specific models, I'd be glad to photograph them. The only models I don't have are: the ogre and ettin from Mind You Manors, all three Mythos, the Fire Dragon, and the Jabberwocky.

~v

• Like 1

Giants, like many mammals, got a lot smaller during the course of the most recent Ice Age. What you see here is a pre-glaciation Giant from a time when their food sources were a lot more abundant.

Does anyone else get caught up on questions of ecology when messing about with D&D style "everything but the kitchen sink" fantasy worlds? What the all-fired heck do giants eat? I've got the thriving underground ecologies sorted; all those mushrooms metabolise magic in a process analogous to photosynthesis. I call it thaumatosynthesis.

I own about 3/4 of the models from that pic that are in production, so if anyone wants to see side-by-side photos of specific models, I'd be glad to photograph them. The only models I don't have are: the ogre and ettin from Mind You Manors, all three Mythos, the Fire Dragon, and the Jabberwocky.

~v

I hate to impose, but could I make a request for a size comparison? I'd love to see the Spider Demoness, the Hydra, and (if you have them) the griffon and owlbear compared to a standard human sized figure. If I could see all of those models lined up together, I think I'd have a really good idea of their sizes.

It's reasonably close, but like Shakandara said don't take it as true scale. Now, that said, it is pretty close. I thought the Spider Demoness was wayyyyy off, but when I put enough of her together to compare against the faceless horror, that was pretty much right.

So it's useful, and close enough for a rough comparison.

It's reasonably close, but like Shakandara said don't take it as true scale. Now, that said, it is pretty close. I thought the Spider Demoness was wayyyyy off, but when I put enough of her together to compare against the faceless horror, that was pretty much right.

So it's useful, and close enough for a rough comparison.

Well, that's good enough for me then. As long as I can get a general feel for them, I'm happy. Thanks!

I hate to impose, but could I make a request for a size comparison? I'd love to see the Spider Demoness, the Hydra, and (if you have them) the griffon and owlbear compared to a standard human sized figure. If I could see all of those models lined up together, I think I'd have a really good idea of their sizes.

With the exception of the Griffon (which I recently sold), I can oblige on the others. Give me til about 9pm CDT, and I should have something up by then.

~v

Unspecified. Not every giant uses the D&D classes of giant and some of the classic D&D giants reaper made were noticeable taller than monster manual descriptions. Later giants got reigned in and sculpted not quite so enormously. Warlord Base sizes, materials costs or artists' whims may have all had an influence on how big Reaper has been deploying giants at. Colossal skeleton may have just been a "Lets make the biggest damn giant we can reasonably make in metal." situation.