Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Kickstarter Discussion Thread

I honestly think this new low cost material for miniatures will help open it up to a wider audience of hobbyist. The price was always a deterrant to me to even consider wargaming.

Yep, 100% agree. Also makes it easier for people to start younger. When I started playing D&D (oh, so many years ago), the minis cost less than a buck each (usually a three-pack blister was around $2.50 or 2.75 IIRC, and the 12-figure boxes were around $8). You didn't really think that hard about making a purchase and you could build up a collection quickly just on money you made mowing lawns or whatever. A dragon or other large figure was more expensive, but usually still under $10 or $15, so even those were achievable with a little saving up.

Even accounting for inflation, minis are much more expensive today. I know they're better and metal is more expensive, but minis have to compete with collectible card games for "junior game geek" dollars. This could honestly be a game changer if they get on enough store shelves.

Yup. I knew a guy who was a machinist specializing in injection molding. Not only did the man make more money than Croesus, but the Chinese were constantly begging him to come to China (and flying him there at their expense) to solve various problems having to do with plastic injection molding startup. The main thing I learned from him is (a) there are many things that can go wrong with the injection molding process, (b) the startup costs are truly hefty, and © never drink gin on an empty stomach.

That being said, I would very much like to see Reaper drop the price point on popular minis and make boocoo bucks on the gaming market with them. My only regret is that this is going to have to be limited to the mega sellers; I don't think there are going to be any "experimental" Bones for a long time.

Then again, that's what the metal is for.

I imagine it would be fun to be at Paint Club today. The Kickstarter buzz there at the Reaper shop has got to very energetic. I have friends coming in from out of town to visit next weekend. I think a trip to Denton may be in order. I think they may need the grand tour.. :)

YAY! GIRLS! Love me some Klocke ladies. I have half of these painted in metal already...but I am so overjoyed about getting them in Bones.

• Like 1

Gah! This project has me feeling like a cross between a kid on his first trip to Disneyland and a speed freak...

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Gah! This project has me feeling like a cross between a kid on his first trip to Disneyland and a speed freak...

So… a speed freak on his first 'trip' to Disneyland? :)

• Like 2

Hah! Good one!

You should change your sig to "A day without sunshine is like a day without a Reaper Kickstarter reveal..." :;):

Someone pointed this out to me earlier, and I just wanted to confirm:

The Fighters, Undead Horde, BBEG, Elves, Dwarves, and the Klocke Classics are going to be included in an Undertaker level pledge, right? Because the pledge text still only reads "4 each of 59 different Bones models."

You should change your sig to "A day without sunshine is like a day without a Reaper Kickstarter reveal..." :;):

But a day without a Reaper Kickstarter reveal is a bad thing. A day without sunshine is… well, let's just say I pledged at the Vampire level. ;)