Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Not a thing against elves or dark elves, but I very much like the decision to bring some of the BIG boys into plastic, notably Tre Manor's recent trio. Metal mass would make these fellas more expensive than they need to be. Bones isn't going to match the sheer diversity of metal figures Reaper offers anytime soon... consequently, character models, I would think, should kind of go on the back burner, second to making plastics that would be prohibitive in metal. I think the Purple Worm was a prime example, there, and the dragons and giants were right up there with them. And, as always, I hope they sell like nickel beer.

Plastic makes the big guys and hordes of small guys possible to put on the gaming table reasonably economically (yay!), which you just can't do in metal. But, for someone who wants to have cheap figures for his D&D game, character models will be important as well.

I just made one up, but don't think I can upload it here...

Plastic makes the big guys and hordes of small guys possible to put on the gaming table reasonably economically (yay!), which you just can't do in metal. But, for someone who wants to have cheap figures for his D&D game, character models will be important as well.

I think that's why this campaign is doing so well. The diversity provides something for everyone. Kudos to Reaper (yet again!)

Maybe this is the biggest event in the history of Reaper, ever?

I don't really know, but this is awesome.

Not sure how this compares to ReaperCon, and hope to take my step-son to the one in April of 2013, but it is pretty interesting to watch unfold. I agree with previous posts that Reaper has done a great job of mixing things up to keep everyone interested with such a nice vareitiy of Bones figs so far. Keep the push on I can't wait to see what is in the mausoleum. Time to go push my pledge higher.

:;):

I don't do plastic, but if I did I'd be all over these Bones. This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while, and the kickstarter seems smartly done.

I've forwarded it along to everybody I know who doesn't share the "metal only" hang-up that I have. And despite my plastic prejudice, I think this is a very good direction for Reaper to be going.

This has to be the longest thread in the reaper forums ever.

Not even close. The threads for production suggestions to the different lines usually measure in the hundreds. However, there is still 20 days to go on this.

After over 30 years of dealing with metal miniatures I'm just happy to have yet another material to work with besides resins and existing overpriced plastics. Especially with this kind of detail and such low pricing for larger models. It wouldn't bother me if I never bought another metal mini.

Buglips, I also share a metal bias. But i have tried the bones and really like them. Go out and buy a couple and try them out. If you like them it will open up new doors for you if not you will be out less than a fast food burger.

Okay, you got me. I've got enough metal to supply Gen Con's paint'n'take, but I just happen to be working on a Kargir army . . . .

Having all the metal versions, the Bones versions could wait until they hit my FLGS. But The offer was just too good. And now there's a paint set calling my name.

Oh well, I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Buglips, I also share a metal bias. But i have tried the bones and really like them. Go out and buy a couple and try them out. If you like them it will open up new doors for you if not you will be out less than a fast food burger.

I am unusually (and possibly illogically) picky. I only buy Reaper, Ral Partha (mostly old TSR), and RAFM (the last strictly for nostalgia). I don't do plastic, and I won't even do slottas (the sole exception being my bomb-riding Sophie, and I had to think that one over). Most of my Reaper are DHL, and most of them are pre-SKU 3000. I don't even like using greenstuff unless it's absolutely necessary (I have a RP Takhisis that had some hideous gaps between dragon heads).

I have no doubts at all about the quality of the Bones, which is why I'm happy to recommend them to people I know who aren't as finicky as I am. The price is good, they're more durable on the table, they appear to be at least as good as their corresponding metal counterparts. I'm delighted to see Reaper push forward on this in a big way, and really think this will become their primary unpainted line and make them beloved by all.

But they're plastic.

And I don't do plastic.

But my painting partner, he doesn't care. He'll do metal, slotted, mantic, GW, whatever. I'm happy to sell him on the line and trumpet their virtues, and harass him every day to get in on vampire level at least.

Anyway, just between those three companies (and I was very tempted to let Darksword and Bob Murch's Pulp Heroes into the group) I have enough metal packed away to last me the next 30 years. So I'm probably good as it is, and don't really need more. Especially if they're affordable enough to buy in bulk.

Doesn't mean I don't think they're awesome, they're just outside my unusually narrow field of interest.

ETA: And I suppose I should note that "narrow" is relative, since even by my current criteria which limits manufacturer, type, and material I still have, even if no new metal miniatures were ever produced, more than 1,500 items I want. Which is 28 years worth if I finish one a week, or 75 years at my actual average rate of completion.

Unless the top Bones stretch goal comes with clones of top painters who will work in sweatshop conditions without sleep or food, then I'm pretty much already set for life.

Anyway, just between those three companies (and I was very tempted to let Darksword and Bob Murch's Pulp Heroes into the group)

You might as well buy Darksword figs too; they are sculpted by the same people that do Reaper and (in the past) Ral Partha, done off concept art from the same artists used by Ral Partha, and cast by the same guy that did Ral Partha's stuff. Jim's got himself a pretty nice miniatures company going over there. Plus, he comes down and hangs out at ReaperCon from time to time. He's cool like that. :;):

~v

Anyway, just between those three companies (and I was very tempted to let Darksword and Bob Murch's Pulp Heroes into the group)

You might as well buy Darksword figs too; they are sculpted by the same people that do Reaper and (in the past) Ral Partha, done off concept art from the same artists used by Ral Partha, and cast by the same guy that did Ral Partha's stuff. Jim's got himself a pretty nice miniatures company going over there. Plus, he comes down and hangs out at ReaperCon from time to time. He's cool like that. :;):

~v

The PC-usable Avalyne the Lifegiver was enough to sell me on that company, and it was only after thinking it over for some months that I said no. Because if I make an exception for that, I'll do it for Bob Murch. And if I do that, then I'll do it for RP Shadowrun. And then I'd do it for Otherworld. And so on.

Next thing you know, somebody in the future digs me up, sees me surrounded by 100,000 figures, and assumes it's the tomb of some great 21st-century Pharoah buried with his cultural treasures. Forever known as Kolinsky Man, I'll be a riddle that endures in the minds of bored future pupils and long-winded professorial types in their high-tech tweed.

You see how it is.

• Like 4

I don't do plastic, but if I did I'd be all over these Bones. This is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while, and the kickstarter seems smartly done.

I've forwarded it along to everybody I know who doesn't share the "metal only" hang-up that I have. And despite my plastic prejudice, I think this is a very good direction for Reaper to be going.

You can always support the drive with a metal Sophie or some paint. :)