Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Reaperbryan

Yeah, Bones I'm not so picky about. They can try to see how many kobolds they can fit up their nose for all I care.

Especially not for touching by Mr. Greasyfingers and his pal Cheeto.

But then is it really a game if they don't touch your figures? ::D:

Oh, it's a game all right. It's called two minute head start while I get the finger chopper.

*Smears pro paint on face with fingers* "The hunt . . . is on . . ."

One time I heard the cat jump up on the mini shelf. I looked over immediately. The cat looked back. I stared at the cat. The cat stared back.

I said: "You haven't got enough lives for what you got planned, Emergency Rations."

The cat backed down off the shelf slowly, carefully, and there hasn't been so much as a gnome out of place since.

• Like 3

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can remember back many posts, you simply said it was a hopeful thing to bring production to Texas, and that's all I could hope for.

I still haven't upped my pledge. I'm'a wait 'til the end and see how much scratch my friend and I can come up with.

After my glowsticks and sparkler madness, I've found I'm calm as a coma with the kickstarter. 'Never would've expected it.

Like with any in-project stretch goal, we could only hope that the project would be successful enough to allow it. It has been.

Anyone else find it curious that The Miniatures Page already has a news article up about the Relic Knights Kickstarter project but I have yet to see any mention of the Bones project?

Ron

TMP only posts news if you are a paid member. Reaper is not a paid member of TMP, and as such, they will not post our news items.

To that end, since that firmly makes all news items paid advertising, they are no longer in my mind a valid news source, but a banner ad pretending to be news.

Diverting us back to happy topics, did anyone else notice yesterday is the new 2nd-highest single day total for the project (and only a day after Friday had taken that title)? So much for the weekend being slow.

We're less than 13K as of this post from having the demon option added. Bring on the Crypt reveal!!!!

~v

• Like 1

Anyone else find it curious that The Miniatures Page already has a news article up about the Relic Knights Kickstarter project but I have yet to see any mention of the Bones project?

Ron

TMP only posts news if you are a paid member. Reaper is not a paid member of TMP, and as such, they will not post our news items.

To that end, since that firmly makes all news items paid advertising, they are no longer in my mind a valid news source, but a banner ad pretending to be news.

I'd wondered why a major player in the US minis market seemed to rate so little mention on TMP. Now I know. Although it seems like a remarkable disservice to their readership.

Diverting us back to happy topics, did anyone else notice yesterday is the new 2nd-highest single day total for the project (and only a day after Friday had taken that title)? So much for the weekend being slow.

We're less than 13K as of this post from having the demon option added. Bring on the Crypt reveal!!!!

~v

And yet, despite this, each one of the previous four days (in which 3 new "2nd best day" were met, and all 4 were well above the activity of the previous week) more than one person claimed that day's pledge results to be "slowing down". At least 2 of those "slowed down" claimaints got personal responses from me with actual math.

I'm guessing it's the watched pot effect. If you watch it for 3 hours, it seems to move only incrementally. If you go to work and come home 9 hours later, it seemed to soar.

And yet, despite this, each one of the previous four days (in which 3 new "2nd best day" were met, and all 4 were well above the activity of the previous week) more than one person claimed that day's pledge results to be "slowing down". At least 2 of those "slowed down" claimaints got personal responses from me with actual math.

I'm guessing it's the watched pot effect. If you watch it for 3 hours, it seems to move only incrementally. If you go to work and come home 9 hours later, it seemed to soar.

You're such a Math Troll. ::P:

You're such a Math Troll. ::P:

38.2% of people say that, but the reality, Mike, is... :rolleyes:

And suddenly I feel like it's the 80's again, and I'm collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. men.

Oh good...I wasn't going to say this out loud, but you already did. When I got my first Bones load when they came out, this is exactly what I was thinking. I used to collect them obsessively. I had to hide them from my mom because she thought they were obscene.

A lot of the "slowing" effect seems to be more of the action taking place over a larger period of time on the weekends (though their tends to be a slight slowing statistically on weekends). During the week, you have a lot of people who are working day jobs and not looking at the KS page. As they get home from work, before they go to sleep - they pop in to check to see what happened during the day, up their pledges, send emails to other gamer geeks, read emails telling them about the campaign... All of that is happening during a 5 or 6 hour time period. On the weekends - the same stuff is happening, just it is happening over the course of 12-16 hours.

We also seem to have been getting more traffic outside of North America. Part of this are the language barriers, it takes some time for the news in English to make it over to non-English speaking forums (relatively speaking...it could be instantaneous, but things don't work that way). Also, as the value of the buy in increases - the related costs decrease. If you are in a country like the UK which has a hefty import fee, plus VAT on top of that - the initial offering was a good deal, but not a great deal. Once we get down to around 75 cents per miniature or so for us...it breaks the $1 per miniature price for them. You should see a good sized flood of Eurozone fence sitters then.

Ron

I've never cared for Soda Pop Miniatures. I'm not sure what their minis are made of, but while the concept is interesting (cute girls in big machines), it tends to fall flat in execution:

1. Anime faces do not usually translate well to 3D, so the minis end up with ugly face sculpts

2. Plastic minis? For $$$? At least Reaper's Bones are actually cheap!!!

3. Yet more female minis with huge epic boobies? YAWN!!!!

Plus I don't even like Sci-Fi minis anyway. Just a personal preference issue really but it's still a reason I don't like them.

The only positives I can see after all that are the cutesy animal critters, but there's other places (Reaper & Dark Sword) you can get them much cheaper without having to also pay for the huge sucky model they come with. And I tend to prefer realistic medieval fantasy models anyway, so Soda Pop is just 100% negatives as far as I'm concerned.

And about the slowing effect of the pledge amount: It does seem slower, but keep in mind that the stretch goals are also bigger, so it takes longer to get to them.

Ron

As regards the "news" section, TMP runs things TMP's way...

However, in defense of the TMP community and member postings, not much that happens in the miniature realm escapes them. There have already been 3 threads about the Reaper kickstarter on the forums!

Their only major blindside seems to be news about GW and Privateer press, which is outside the interest scope of most TMP'ers and better served by a place like Dakka.

Ron

I'd wondered why a major player in the US minis market seemed to rate so little mention on TMP. Now I know. Although it seems like a remarkable disservice to their readership.

Ah I see now, TMP not only has a crappy website with poor web design, interface, navigation, and general usability but also is worse than Digg with it being just ads.

I always wondering why the site was such crap. Now I know, guess I should get around to creating a real miniatute news page when I get back from Afghanistan.

Also! Almost to DEMONS.

Paizo's black dragon was made by Wizkids and is plastic.

Uh.. no. Reaper had their version at Gen Con long before that one came out. The Reaper one is still NOT out despite being seen at last year's gen con. It has been answered though that it was metal.

Well we're both right. In terms of the one that was being talked about in this thread it is a reaper miniature, which I wasn't aware exsisted, but Wizkids did release a limited edition PPP black dragon for pathfinder which you can see here (it's way smaller then you would think as it's 3.X huge scale).

And suddenly I feel like it's the 80's again, and I'm collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. men.

Oh good...I wasn't going to say this out loud, but you already did. When I got my first Bones load when they came out, this is exactly what I was thinking. I used to collect them obsessively. I had to hide them from my mom because she thought they were obscene.

Hah? How were they obscene? Aside from being kind of vaguely flesh toned? Hell, I STILL have some of them...