"Is that ... the DEVIL?"

Dr.Bedlam

He's an adorable flavor of evil. I love that you're scandalizing people with him. I used to paint big ceramic dragons, till the cool local ceramics shop closed down. I like minis better, because it used to be one dragon per shelf, and now it's one shelf for like fifty minis. I don't have to give as many away...

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed it. And frankly, it both amuses and irritates me to hear that apparently Catholics buy into this line of crap, too.

Kind of makes me wonder... how many devil worshippers do these people know? And do these devil worshippers play Dungeons and Dragons and World of Warcraft? I've only met one actual Satan Worshipper in my life, and I'm pretty much convinced he was only doing it to drive his parents crazy. And his game was .... BASKETBALL.

Guess we know the truth NOW, hm?

I couldn't agree with you more. Every time someone say D&D uses witchcraft I want to ask them if they actually know and study witchcraft to know. :P Usually all that does for me is piss them off. lol I agree in can wear on you after a while, but sometimes you can look back and have a good laugh. :)

That dragon is kind of cute. I want to say something witty and humorous, but I find myself having difficulty getting past the notion that anyone - even a little old lady - could confuse such an obvious fantasy dragon with an image of the devil, but as you wisely pointed out, people who go looking for the devil are going to see him.

As to the funny things people believe and say about us as gamers, I long ago came to the realization that many, if not most, people who say they believe that D&D and its ilk are witchcraft or satanic, are the same people who claim not to believe in that stuff in different company. They are relying on the good manners and graces of the rest of us to not call them on the hypocrisy. So I've found the proper response for most when they imply that what you are doing is witchcraft, is to ask, "are you seriously telling me you believe spells and witches are real?" Tends to wake most of them up and end the conversation (and the worry) right away.

Of course, you'll eventually run into somebody who answers that with a yes, and a sermon, but you're taking that chance anytime you humor those questions, anyway.

Huh. Maybe that lady had really bad eyesight and all she could make out was a bit of red, big wings, and horns? I think it's a perfectly nice dragon -- cute, even. :D

That reminds me about when I first went to get my driver's license in North Carolina. I have long drawn a little very-stylized peacock next to my signature, but when I signed for my card, I was told, "You can't have that Satanic sign on there." And this is nothing that looked the least bit like a pentagram or whatever. So I know this sort of thing is real.

However, while I can thus sympathize with someone who's been caught on the wrong end of such perceptions, I hope that a discussion like this won't boil down to "religion = anti-RPGs." For my earliest RPG campaigns (SwordTag LARP games, and Advanced HeroQuest), the greatest source of recruits for my campaigns was my parents' church. I suppose I can thank the popularity of the "Chronicles of Narnia" and a perception of "The Lord of the Rings" as being a fantasy with Christian-compatible values for making it clear that in fantasy stories, most of the time the heroes are FIGHTING monsters, not WORSHIPING them. All the same, I steered well clear from ever having a "daemon" pop up in my games, enemy or no, just to be on the safe side. The AHQ Bloodthirster of Khorne was just a really, really nasty "Gargoyle" as far as my narrative was concerned. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, my gaming career back in the day WAS the church kids. Church people get a lot of urban myth in particular themes swilling about, and devil-worship is a perennial favourite. On some other topics - even seemingly religious ones - they're often quite sceptical, but something about devil-worship really seems to press the credulity button.

It makes me sad. Taking up your sword and confronting evil should be an obviously Christian theme.

• Like 2

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind hearing OTHERS' stories about the equation of Satanism wih the game related... or the fantasy related... or even the patently ridiculous, as in Jordan Peacock's story. WTF? "Satanic symbol?" Admittedly, DMV employees are not known for being accomodating, but how'd you get to be Satanic, there?

Got a story? Throw it in. Indulge yer Uncle Doc, here. Maybe we can even get a sticky, "The Follies Of The Clueless," or something...

A good story... Well one day my sister and mom went to see my grandparents, (on my dads side) and I stayed home to read. They had only gone over for a little bit so it wasn't a big deal. But mainly I had stayed home because I had been reading Harry Potter none stop, and wanted to stay and read. My mom wasn't going to complain. (me and reading usually don't go together. until recently that it. :P) So when they got there my grandmother asked were I was. Now for some of the humor of this story please remember that my sister was 7 or 8 when this happened.

My mom told them that I had stay home to read Harry Potter. Then my grandmother kinda went nuts to say the least pretty much lecturing my mom. She was saying that the author (JK Rowling ) was a wiccan and that the spells in the Harry Potter books were real spells. She also refused to say the name "Harry Potter" xD She just called then HP books. I can't really remember the order it went in seeing as I actually wasn't there, but at one point when she said she refused to say the name of these books (kinda in line with how wizards won't say you-know-who's name huh? XD LOL) my sister goes, "HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER!" Ya.. I guess I've been a bad influence on her. LOL Sadly most of these kind of stories involve the family on my dads side. They are extremely paranoid and whatnot. lol Anyway I'll be back soon to tell you more of the adventures of me. :D LOL XD

• Like 1

Admittedly, DMV employees are not known for being accomodating, but how'd you get to be Satanic, there?

The weird part, though, and I failed to properly convey it in my short telling, was just how detached the DMV employee seemed when telling me this. It was NOT like seething, "Get thee AWAY from me, Satan!" stuff, but more like "(Yawn.) No Satanic symbols allowed on your driver's license, kid. Try again, and stop wasting my time." (Not a true quote, but that was just the impression I got, like this sort of stuff happened all the time.)

Really, though, when I was a kid, "Satanic" stuff wasn't just a concern of churches. I had a high school teacher who was a "skeptical agnostic" (or something like that -- I forget the exact phrasing) who was disapproving of the swords-and-sorcery-inspired drawings I'd doodle on scrap paper during study hall. Cars and robots? Perfectly fine -- no complaints there. But that fantasy stuff -- shades of the occult, and cause for teacher-ly concern. Not that he believed in witchcraft or anything, obviously, but I think I have that stupid "Mazes and Monsters" TV movie back in the 80s (yeah, I'm that old) to thank for bringing the concern into the secular mainstream for a while. We even had a police officer stop by one day in the school gym (AKA "multi-purpose room") for a presentation to warn us of the dangers of getting involved in "cults."

• Like 1

I'm pretty out about my Discordian/Thelemic philosophy, I have many visible tattoos regarding discordianism, Aleister Crowley's writings, the tarot, Goetia, Enochian studies (also, bunnies, strawberries, cute spiders, but they're not as skerry). People have laid off criticizing me about my "satanic" leanings, about fifteen years ago, like D&D is the least of my naughtiness. I think it's because I'm a mountain they don't want to climb, theologically speaking. I live in a small town, and I'm pretty sure I am regarded as The Eccentric (or at least, that scary chick that lives across the street from the bar). Which is cool, people don't mess with me.

I think the worst "you're going to hell" story I have is when I showed up at lunch with my mom's old lady friends with a hickey on my, erm, décolleté. :devil:

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed it. And frankly, it both amuses and irritates me to hear that apparently Catholics buy into this line of crap, too.

Oh, we have our fanatics too. There is almost as much diversity of belief within the Catholic Church as there is in the rest of Christianity. However on both D&D and Harry Potter, the official Church stance is that it is just fiction and as long as it teaches/promotes good over evil then it is fine. Heck, Tolkien was named Catholic Layperson of the century.

Andy