What are these?

kuramacat

Funny thing is, I got it right by being wrong.

As soon as I saw those funny, narrow twisty bases I said: "3-stage, 100%".

Which was true.

However, that base style also appears in the regular line, and is not exclusive to the 3-stagers like I thought it was.

So . . . not sure if brilliant, or just lucky. :-p

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ral Partha 3-Stage Player Characters.

The wizards are from 01-333 (missing the final stage)

The fighters are actually rangers, all three from 01-316

Thank you. I have the old Grenadier Wizards box and the two on the right definitely WERE NOT from that. I could tell just from the style that the three on the left were Ral Partha. They look nearly identical stylistically to the metal figs that came in the old Dungeon! expansion box.

Indeed they do, and all of the minis from the Dungeon Box Set are out of the 3-stage line except the thief with dagger.

And at least some of those box sets were marketed as TSR items, despite not being official TSR releases. Similarly, the very early AD&D Wemic blister packs actually contain Ral Partha Daeshiru until the Wemics got their own sculpt.

...and that's one of the jolly things about ReaperCon. Every year they've been doing the metal exchange with the Dump Table, I've unearthed a few of my old treasures that someone else is throwing away. So I get to swap out my old sprue and loose bits of pewter for ancient treasures that Reaper doesn't want anyway because the lead mix is wrong...

Everybody wins.

That's weird! Those D&D boardgame miniatures are exactly the same as the ones from the DragonStrike boardgame! Horrible mini's imo :P I own a DragonStrike boardgame, just for the cool boards that came with the game (and does anyone remember the videotape, in "hyperreality"? o man what a laugh)

That's weird! Those D&D boardgame miniatures are exactly the same as the ones from the DragonStrike boardgame! Horrible mini's imo :P I own a DragonStrike boardgame, just for the cool boards that came with the game (and does anyone remember the videotape, in "hyperreality"? o man what a laugh)

someone mentioned that earlier. They must have been cheap to mass produce. they really aren't very detailed are they? plus my mage is missing a hand.

I'm real late to the party, I happen to have that ranger three stage set from high school, I may have the third stage of that wizard set here.

I don't know how to post thumbnails, here's a link to a couplle Photobucket pics I took.

These were painted about 24 years ago:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Ghadrack/82012051.jpg

The wizard with only a staff is a Guthrie/Grenadier, but the staff and sword was a Ral Partha, not sure if it's related to the other ones posted.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Ghadrack/82012056.jpg

The freaky thing about that Guthrie wizard is that I've seen him about a dozen times and every time he's been painted the same colours.

How weird is that?

Your Partha wizard definitely looks like he belongs in the same line, but he's not listed in the 3-stage wizards. He is, actually, a modified version of the blue wizard shown in OP's picture.

He's not in any of my catalogs, so he's either older than them or later. Probably older, I think that style was abandoned. I'll have to go dig through some older references, which I will now do, and I shall return with an answer.

01-401 The White Wizard (ft. and mtd.)

And he actually was in my catalog, I just skimmed over the mounted & on foot packs. So he originally came with a horseriding version of himself in the same blister.

Yup. Still got the minis, although the game itself has gone the way of all things. And until recently, you could STILL get the monster mini sprues from American Science and Surplus.

The freaky thing about that Guthrie wizard is that I've seen him about a dozen times and every time he's been painted the same colours.

How weird is that?

I know exactly what you mean, when I see other's posts of their paint jobs on mini's I've done and they are almost the same color palette it makes me wonder about whatg made me choose those colors in teh first place.

01-401 The White Wizard (ft. and mtd.)

And he actually was in my catalog, I just skimmed over the mounted & on foot packs. So he originally came with a horseriding version of himself in the same blister.

Now that you mention it, I do still have the mounted version, I keep all the horseback minis in a different case.