Sign in to follow this  
JackMann

Starting Advice

So, like a lot of you, I expect, I've gotten into the Bones kickstarter. However, I've never actually pained minis before, so this is going to be a new experience for me. As soon as I get back from Afghanistan in a few weeks, I intend to start painting, so I have some practice when my rewards come in.

Currently, thanks to an online deal I did a while back, I have six copies of four different pewter DCC minis (two kobolds, a druid, and a wererat with human form and rodent minions). Would you guys recommend I start practicing with these, or should I go straight to grabbing some Bones from my FLGS to start with? Basically, how much technique from the pewter figures will transfer over to the Bones? Will I need to unlearn anything working with the bones (aside from primer)?

EDIT: Crap, I meant to post this in the advice and tips forum.

Edited by ladystorm
Moved thread to correct location
  • Like 1

I haven't worked with Bones yet, but I've been keeping an eye on what people are saying.

Most pewter techniques work with thinned paint. Bones take unthinned paint well, but thinned paint not so much. So you'll either need to prime them or coat them with something (I think somebody said Testors dullcote would work?)

However, once you've prepped them that way then I'm not aware of any trouble they'd give using the same techniques you would on pewter.

Basically: get into it. I strongly recommend the reaper paints for being in a dropper bottle and being nice to work with. Also: get some cheap brushes, yes, but also get one or two very expensive ones, like Winsor & Newton 7's.

One of the Bones videos recommends a light coat of Testor's Dullcoat to "prime", if that's how you want to do it.

I say jump right in and start painting. Look at all the pinned topics here for links, tutorials, articles. That's how I learned. You can use thinned paint on Bones, but not for the first coat. The water makes it bead, but once you have a layer of the un-thinned paint down, or Testor's Dullcote (which is to me, one of the most useful things ever) you can paint it exactly as you do metal, so I say go for it, paint the ones you have. Mini painting is one of the places where you can see remarkable improvement with relatively little practice. It's great to line up your first kobolds and rats and look at how much better each one looks than the last.

In short: All the technique. Just do eet!

I'm assuming you're in the Service, so thanks for that.

First rule is have fun painting, then as others have said, you'll notice your progress and begin to apply a critical eye to your work to see how you could have done things better.

There are tons of tutorials for every technique at tutofig.com, but at first you'll be learning how paints behave and learning brush control--that's like coloring within the lines of a coloring book. We all started there and there's plenty of support here when you need it.

Looking forward to pics of your figures.

wooo, this was just what I was looking for, I recently picked up painting minis and then found the bones kickstarter, Im glad to hear that the best way to learn is to just jump in and go

Yep, you gotta get into it right away so you can start learning how the paint acts. It has a mind of its own. There are lots of tips here on what to do, and why, to get the paint to work with you. Spend some time playing with it and getting to know and love it. It's fun stuff.

Hi! as a beginner myself all i can say is jump in... i am only on my third mini now and with each project i can see things that are getting easier or mistakes I'm avoiding... there is a plethora of information around... check out the forums and don't be afraid to ask for tips or garner criticism. from what i've seen the community here is pretty darn nice and will give you honest feedback.

Be careful with priming the bones line... I tried a couple different primers and most of them remained tacky, (even 6 months later when I am actually getting to paint them). Also good to start "cleaning" your miniatures. Removing mold lines, looking for imperfections that need to be filled (I have yet to notice any on Bones figures, but some larger pewter ones need to be fixed).

And thanks for your service!

Imperfections are easiest to see after the mini has been primed. Remove the imperfections before you start painting! Who could be that stupid you ask? I could be that stupid.

Yeah primer really shows up the problems. Now, someone said that spray primers' solvent (I'm guessing) doesn't play well with Bones plastic. Apparently Dullcote in a light coat is fine, several Reaper peeps have said so.

Other priming options that I'd almost 100% guarantee to be fine would be Reaper* or other miniatures hobby co** brush-on primer, or artist's gesso*

*Guarantee it won't melt the plastic.

** Not guaranteed.

It's a standard spray primer, so if there are reports of spray primers affecting the soft plastic, I'd be very cautious. The GW spray primer, as far as I know, is a solvent-based enamel like any other. It might be a bit better texture or quality control than your garage brands, but is not very different chemistry.

Test a less-favoured mini first! It could be perfect on GW hard urethane but tacky on Bones softer plastic; they're quite different plastics from what I hear.