Kickstarter Bones You'd Like To See

Baphomet69

To each his own, but 4th to me was just D&D - The Table-Top Skirmish Edition. Still, it's pretty popular around here (just not with me). Then again, even Pathfinder with it's Society and firearms isn't for me. Well, then there's Eberron with it's War-Forged.

Screw it, I guess I'm just a crotchety old fart.

GET OFF MY LAWN! :grr:^_^

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's definitely skirmishy, but it's also easy to teach, and I'm gaming with a handful of new gamers. We're using a 4e inspired homebrew, nowadays, and it works out. I don't like how they revamped Forgotten Realms for it, at all, though. I went looking for some FR source stuff to inspire our homebrew, and whoa, weirdness abounds. Like this whole drider business. Weee-ird.

Yeah, it's definitely skirmishy, but it's also easy to teach, and I'm gaming with a handful of new gamers. We're using a 4e inspired homebrew, nowadays, and it works out. I don't like how they revamped Forgotten Realms for it, at all, though. I went looking for some FR source stuff to inspire our homebrew, and whoa, weirdness abounds. Like this whole drider business. Weee-ird.

Tell them to grow a pair and buy 1st Edition off eBay... :grr:

:;):

I love my 90's sets with the little cardboard standups. I've got all the big boxes (Dragon's Den, Goblin's Lair, Haunted Tower, and of course the basic D&D set with Xanxer Tem's dungeon (sp?)).

I think I have all the modules too. I just had to collect em all. ^_^

Actually the old rules are still pretty cheap. Maybe not in hardback form, but the basic 90's black box with red dragon is usually only $20 to $30 on eBay, including the shipping costs. I've gotten 2 sets for less than $20 and they are both in very nice condition. It's not AD&D though, and certainly not the complete rules. Those would be a little complex for me anyway though. xD

I tried fourth. I am too old and set in my ways. That, and keeping track of all the conditions adds all the complications taken away by the rest of the streamlining. All my players made a point of saving the colored rings on soda bottles left when you twist off the caps, right. Eventually, we had many, many colored plastic rings that we used to keep track of conditions, buffs, and suchlike on various characters and enemies.

Inside the first few rounds of a combat, you can barely see the figure under a heap of rings. It's just... unappealing to me. If I want to play World of Warcraft, that's what computers are for... to keep track of all the numbers FOR me. Tabletop should not be like that.

But the old ways are still around. I rather liked Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC.

Woo! First Post!

I am currently bouncing between Basic D&D, QUERP and my own system. Fourth was a non starter with me. Pathfinder used to be really fun, then I GMed with a group who tends towards rules lawyer-ing and blatant optimization. It works for them so I'm cool with it in a general sense, but all of the complications, and demands for checking on specific rules mid game instead of 'going with it' sucked the fun of the system right out of it for me. Very much a fan of anything that help keep the rules simple. :)

One thought I have had, and one of the reasons why i decided to join here, was that the bones material and how cheap it is to produce once the molds have been made seems to open up an opportunity

Dungeon Terrain Kits.

One set that has treasure chests, two or three, as well as a sarcophagus and perhaps a statue. Maybe a bookshelf with books on it? A simple table and benches. Keep them fairly generic and I think that they would sell well. After all, they would be affordable for those on a budget, and they would be light and sturdy enough that you could throw them into a bag when going to DM a game at somebody's house without worrying about being able to carry it all.

Dungeon Building Kits

Loving stuff like Dwarven Forge, DungeonStone, Hirst Arts, and the like. They are great stuff. However, they are also labor intensive and not cheap at all. Also, they are very heavy. I had a wonderful set of terrain but it almost never got used because I couldn't cart it around with me except in small doses. I eventually had to throw it out because I had to move in a rush and nobody else wanted it, and the stuff weighed more than my collection of books.

Now, I've looked into using Lego's, making my own blocks out of wood, and building walls with foamboard and clay. Out of all of these the Lego blocks came the closest to the look I wanted, but they are not cheap either and the bumps kinda ruin the atmosphere.

So, how about a set of basic building blocks in the Bones plastic? It should be a simple mold to make. Maybe do a trial set that only has rectangle blocks, square blocks, a door, and some floor tiles? Make each block look like aged chipped stone. Cram as much as you can in there for ten bucks. Or maybe enough to make a whole room or two for twenty. Then those people, like me, who want 3D terrain without spending an arm and a leg, or half a year building and drying just the blocks, since we have long hour day jobs, can pick up a set or three and make rooms for their dungeons one block at a time like we did with legos when we were kids. Very modular, very easy, and a heck of a lot of fun. Even if it never went past that first set I would be happy as a clam and easily drop hundreds of bucks to build a dungeon or two.

Well, maybe not a part of the kickstarter, but this is a direction i would like to see the bones line go in. :)

Edited by Wiglaf

Welcome Wiglaf. As a fellow user of Hirst Arts molds who has a huge beautiful modular dungeon made from dental plaster, that only gets used at my home I feel ya on the HA bit. It's an interesting idea about the blocks, I saw a post recently on the HA that someone else was doing this, although I bet Reaper could do it better. Still I doubt that they're ready to get into terrain building, but I've been wrong before.

I think if any of the big companies could pull this off it would be Reaper. They have the established customer base as well as name brand recognition and a place in most FLGS.

I wonder if there is a way for Reaper to figure out of this would be viable for them or not. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm a little biased. Maybe another kickstarter for next year?

I'd like just about any mini that I either don't have or wouldn't normally be interested in. The Bones line is a great opportunity to try out minis that you normally would not have been interested in. I'm usually very meticulous when searching for new minis to buy. They either have to be cheap or fit a very specific purpose that I have in mind.

But a generic nude petite girl would be quite useful. I need lots of fairies for a future project I have planned and there's very few minis that fit my very specific tastes. -_-

That's probably not going to happen for this Kickstarter though. What would be really cool would be a stretch goal containing a nice large quantity of conversion packs!

Bringing things back on topic...

I'd like to see more aberrations: Bathalians, Goroloth, Brain Horror, Gug, Desert Thing, Blabbering Horrors, etc.

Blue translucent plastic: Wall of Ice, Water Elemental, Ice Demon, Ice Toad, etc.

Razig and his mates are always welcome, too!

• Like 1