50140: Torrent and GW Misc

Tranquil Ape

So I just got into painting minis, i don't even play any miniature games ... yet anyway, but i wanted to post a couple pics to show the first couple completed projects

My first attempt, The emperor's champion

post-7704-0-21660600-1344890997_thumb.jpg

Second go round, Not quite sure i like so much metallic in one place so i tried something different. Reaper's Torrent (i know its supposed to be water but i think the molten rock looks cool... maybe I'll take 50141: Inferno and try to pull off Ice or water

post-7704-0-83832300-1344891071_thumb.jpg

Just started playing around with basing so im going to try to have a more finished looking end product moving forward.

Any sort of constructive C/C is welcome...

Next project is an Eldar Wraithlord (a buddy here plays 40k so he keeps giving me old minis to paint for him) I expect it to be a little easier since its almost double the size of these previous projects

• Like 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, those are your 1 and 2?!? You have an art background in other media, right??

As for the game playing, many artists on here just do the painting. You have a hell of a future in miniature painting...

The only c/c I can give would be about the picture taking, but there's a forum to help with that as well...

EDIT: changed my post to be non-gender specific

no other art background other than the mandatory high school art class... are you saying i should stay with whatever i know and not branch out? lol thanks,

as for photos... yea... i have a great camera but the lighting in here is the suck I'm guessing.. i need to figure out something, thanks for the tip on the photo forum... hitting them up right now

no other art background other than the mandatory high school art class... are you saying i should stay with whatever i know and not branch out? lol thanks,

as for photos... yea... i have a great camera but the lighting in here is the suck I'm guessing.. i need to figure out something, thanks for the tip on the photo forum... hitting them up right now

<sigh> thanks for the guilt trip! :;):

I didn't mean that at all, obviously, but if those are your first two minis, it looks like you've had an extensive artistic background already... Keep it up, please!

And I think the yellow background was the worst offense... ^_^

HAHAH I knew what you meant Baphomet, but now that I go back and re-read my response I can see how it might be interpreted ...appreciate the kind words... I try to research a lot before attempting things so I have an idea of what to expect... sometimes i get lucky and it works out.

the paint i used on the champion was from the silver metallic and gold metallic triads and they work great but I'm thinking that they are going to end up on my "less is more" list. I'd really like to try some NMM techniques but want to get some more basic experience under my belt first... i browse through pics on CoolMiniOrNot and some of those works are just incredible...

Lucky, yeah. :rolleyes:

You even got the temperture gradiants right on the woman, which you might say "sh'yah...", but you'd be surprised how many (90-95%) start off with the reds at the bottom...And if you come out with correct NMM on mini #3, I'm breaking my brushes and throwing my paint and minis over the back fence... :;):

Seriously, can't wait to see your future works.

Fire woman is hot - no pun intended har har.

Fire woman is hot, and I'll wear the pun with pride!

There are tricks to working with metals that can make them look nice. An easy one is to give them a thin coat of a blackish wash to help bring some definition back. Helps tone them down a little.

That said, while I love to work with my metallics, even after 20-some years they still have a knack for suddenly behaving weirdly.

From the look of Torrent, I'd say you're off to a most excellent start.

well, this wraithlord im doing is a pal's... don't think he want's a chrome version allthough i would love to attempt it on this... i may try to pick one up and try out some NMM on it... the helmet is smooth an rounded, and the whole mini is about double the size of the others... the extra space might help.

on a side note. has anyone had any experience with the reaper learn to paint packages? i noticed today that there was one for NMM techniques...