Foam Tray GM Kit from Outrider Hobbies

OutriderHobbies

Hey everyone. This is an idea I've had for a while that I would love to offer for the Reaper Cases, but I would also like to make it the best layout possible. So with that in mind, I've come to you all for help.

Basically, what I'm looking for is, if you are a DM/GM/whatever, what would you consider a must have for any kind of kit? Remember, it all has to fit in a case the size of the current Reaper cases. I'll do one for the Kickstarter case later, but for now we're starting with this one.

So with that in mind, I await your suggestions.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Space for dice. Pencils and markers. Beads/tokens.

Miniatures. Maybe tape measure. Thinking for army transport as well which the lunchboxes would be better.

I think for a GM until you get the bigger KS case it won't be as useful because the lunchbox ones aren't big enough for books or notebooks.

Don't worry, I'll be working on an option for Warlord too. This is just on my "want to do right now" list. Waiting on a box from ReaperBryan before I tacle that.

Anyways, this is intended more for something to toss in your backpack with all your books. Keep things a bit more organzied.

What's the minimum number of miniatures you would want to se in this?

A case big enought for at least 30 minis, usually between two or three large encounters, and at least 4-5 a bigger minis. Dice, markers, possibly some loops on the outside to put a rolled up battlemap in. A soft side case that could hold a 2-3 rule books in pockets, along with notes would not be bad.

Spitballing is good. I don't claim to know exactly what everyone will want. I'm thinking this one as either a fiddly bits box to keep everything organized. I definitely want to come up with options for the Kickstarter case, and the cases I currently offer. The purpose here is to get a baseline when I'm moving forward.

I figure for D&D 4th its usually 2 or 3 encounters per game session. Usually there is some continuity between encounters so you can have overlap of foes. If you can get space for about 20 models plus supplies I think you'll be okay unless its a huge mob type scenario. Or maybe a pack that can hold 10-15 PC & critical NPC/summons/companions plus supplies. And then a monster pack for multiple encounters.

For just exsisting boxes, I don't think that you'd be able to do a DM justice. Unless they use a lot less books than I do, which is inconceivable! But as a player, a cut out for one or two standard sized minis, and cut outs for a animal companion or mount perhaps. A cut out for a couple of pencils and markers and perhaps one or two cut outs for dice and other oddities would be enough for me.

For miniatures: I'm a real fan of "pluck foam." I've got so many oddball miniatures that it's impossible for any standard layout to just happen to have all the right slots to hold them all. If there were a space for the "GM kit" assigned for minis, it would be nice if it's done in such a way that it can be easily customized. I suppose if you had a bunch of small squares meant to hold typical "human-sized" minis, it would be pretty easy to tear out a few dividers between them to make room for a mount or larger model as necessary; perhaps that could be facilitated by designing the dividers as perforated so it's easier to get a clean tear.

For accessories: I mostly play Savage Worlds; I have an "army bag" with some zippered side pockets that I use to hold the "star" minis for my games, plus a lot of the accessories. In addition to the typical things you'd use for RPGs (dice, tape measure, pencils), I typically pack:

* Standard burst/area-effect templates. Savage Worlds has standard sizes for them, and you can print your own, but I often misplace them if they don't have an assigned space.

* Deck of initiative cards.

* Adventure Deck (another standard-sized card deck, as an option for Savage Worlds).

* Flight markers (some plastic pizza-box spacers with round flat tops -- perfect for perching a mini on to show that it's flying or up in a tree or whatever).

* Status rings (some cheap "rings" I get by the bag in the wedding section at the local craft store; I can hang a ring on the head of a mini or on an upraised sword to indicate "Shaken" or other special status).