How do you manage your shelf of completed minis?

Arachne

Does this shelf have a name, I don't even know. Shelf of pride? I'm painting pretty prodigiously, lately, and I'm accumulating a bunch of finished minis, obviously way more than I currently use for gaming. I've been sticking them on a bookcase, but it's not practical, they get dusty, fall over, constantly need to be moved, for the books... I've given some away, already.

Do you display your finished work? Do you keep them in storage cases, or display cases, or shoe boxes, or anything? Do you just shove them in the drawer?

Like I said, I've been painting for about two years, just long enough to have to think about storage, both before and after, like the "workspace" threads that I've ran across, I love hearing about how you guys manage your stuff.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought a house 3 years ago and with it I got a gaming room. I have plans for built in shelves to display my minis with built in lighting. I can't wait to start my gaming room. It's probably my next project as I finish my wife's home office and start the rehab to the master bath in the house.

I am stil mulling about shelf dimensions, and materials, wood or frosted glass for the shelves. When the time comes for me to start I will post my game rooms transformation in the WIP section.

For years now, I've been buying antique printers' drawers, flat wooden drawers used to hold linotype slugs. Hung on a wall, they make excellent display shelves for miniatures. Can you see this picture?

401792_415594481817568_10230316_n.jpg

Oh, printer drawers, those are cool, I know exactly what you're talking about. What a good idea. Actually, loads of good ideas here. I like Jen's idea of stacking some in trays (I don't need to display every rat and kobold) and displaying some. Also, never would have thought of 2 liter bottles, as domes, but I can even see sort of sprucing them up a bit, to make them a little more permanent.

Looking forward to that game room WIP, chaosscorpion. It's funny, I was fantasizing about what I would do with a spare room (or what I would do with my son's room when he moves out...muahaha), which is what moved me to make this thread :)

Edit: There's an actually a picture there? I can't see it :(

Bugger. That happens sometimes when I try linking from pictures on my Facebook profile. Sorry...

...but for those that can see it... look closely. That's TWO cybercats.

Completed minis...what's this now?

Ha! Surely you have one or two?

Bugger. That happens sometimes when I try linking from pictures on my Facebook profile. Sorry...

...but for those that can see it... look closely. That's TWO cybercats.

Dang. Maybe it's a privacy setting thing. I'm locked down tight on FB too, so I understand.

My shelf does have a name. It's the shelf of Not-Shame.

It's the very top of a low bookcase.

I don't really manage it, except to divide minis roughly into their proper categories. Beyond that, nothing. Mostly because the shelf of Not-Shame contains such a low proportion of my miniatures that it is, in effect, a sort of alternate universe. A technicolour universe.

This is a rare and unique thing, and I for one suspect eldritch magicks surround the place. It's just . . . unnatural for me to have a shelf of fully painted miniatures. It's like some random cosmic fluke, the birth of new life on the rim of a wasteland volcano.

Beautiful, yet fragile.

Makes ya think.

Makes the cat think, I'll tell you that. Evil thoughts, I'm sure. Crashy, smashy, knocky-over thoughts.

Here, Arachne, I put the picture on my host so you can see it.

If Dr. Bedlam objects to my being so forward, I'll delete it.

401792_415594481817568_10230316_n.jpg

• Like 2

KITTIES! Wow. That's a lot of minis. They look great like that. Very classeh.

Also, Buglips, you've touched on one of my primary fears. My shelf hasn't been cat-sat yet...But, I know they're eyeing it. Lard-cat has sat on other shelves, clearing them of their contents. My minis seem too pointy...I don't know, but I'm worried.