How do you manage your shelf of completed minis?

Arachne

Years ago I had a cat named Pokey (I didn't name that one, but he was an awesome cat).

Anyway, like all cats he had an insatiable drive to do the forbidden. The more forbidden, the better. He'd jump onto a shelf of trinkets and then wait. And wait. And wait.

The minute you looked at him, then he'd knock one over. And then stare at you, as if daring you to do something about it.

I think he just liked being chased.

I spy some Partha dragons on Metalchaos's shelf.

An unpainted Clutch of Fear, a blue Cold Wind to Valhalla, and a fearsome Niddhogg.

My shelf of not-shame.

notshame.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I had a cat named Pokey (I didn't name that one, but he was an awesome cat).

Anyway, like all cats he had an insatiable drive to do the forbidden. The more forbidden, the better. He'd jump onto a shelf of trinkets and then wait. And wait. And wait.

The minute you looked at him, then he'd knock one over. And then stare at you, as if daring you to do something about it.

I think he just liked being chased.

Your Pokey and my Smokey (also, I didn't name him) seem like they're from the same family tree... I have a deep shelf of stones I've collected over the years, and he does the same thing. He plants himself in the center, and will systematically flick them off, one at a time. I think he hates pretty things.

Ooh! I love these pictures of shelves! I might post mine. Of my...like dozen or so minis...

Ooh! I love these pictures of shelves! I might post mine. Of my...like dozen or so minis...

That's 2 years of work on my shelf. Yup. And maybe a little over 5% of my total (unpainted; shameful) collection.

And I don't even have Bones yet!

Maybe I should randomly intersperse Bones into the mix when they're fast-painted so it looks like I've accomplished something.

My OCD kicks in when I see figures on a shelf exposed to... DUST!

You can flip a plastic cake lid over those, or one of those oblong spinach containers, or... or... anything but don't let them get dusty!

I need a sedative, I'll be ok. Breathe... breathe...

Ok... the paramedics just left. I'm good now.

I have a cat story too. Back in the day I'd stay up late into the night, painting. The brush ferrule would make a "tink tink tink" sound on my glass water jar. After a little while I'd become immersed in painting some detail and suddenly I'd have a visitor on my desk, wide-eyed with curiosity. How she landed without knocking anything over is a mystery. She'd sniff around and sometimes start to drink from the water jar, so I'd take a break and carry her to the faucet and turn it on just a little because she enjoyed drinking that way. She's long-gone but I still have that water jar. A few years ago I thought I saw some cat hairs in the bottom but it was probably just a trick of the mind.

An unpainted Clutch of Fear, a blue Cold Wind to Valhalla, and a fearsome Niddhogg.

That’s right, I still need to complete these Ral Partha Dragon. The one on the left is also from Ral Partha, it’s called T’Char Dragon of flame and Fury. The smaller one on the front is a Black Dragon from Grenadier.

I used to keep my miniatures exposed to dust and with time, they could lose their shine. That's the reason I added a clear Plexiglas at the front of my shelf.

That’s right, I still need to complete these Ral Partha Dragon. The one on the left is also from Ral Partha, it’s called T’Char Dragon of flame and Fury. The smaller one on the front is a Black Dragon from Grenadier.

I used to keep my miniatures exposed to dust and with time, they could lose their shine. That's the reason I added a clear Plexiglas at the front of my shelf.

I thought that was a T'Char, but I couldn't quite make it out enough to be sure.

You have some fantastic taste in dragons.

My OCD kicks in when I see figures on a shelf exposed to... DUST!

I'm renovating, too.

LOTS of dust, and . . .

Lastman?

Lastman, you ok buddy?

I . . . I think I've killed him.

(these are surprisingly dustfree, actually. See? Eldritch magicks.)

My special pieces are in display boxes like what you'd use for a prize baseball.

(and in Living Room)

The painted armies are in their cases.

(in theory, if people have put them away...)

The majority of the painted portion of the minis are on our display rack in the Game Room.

(old picture, gives idea of structure, relocated since taken)

{edit: didn't like the image insert, let me fiddle...}

rack is plexiglass with a mirrored back, formerly was a soap & toiletries case at a retail establishment.

Edited by ladystorm
didn't like the image insert, let me fiddle.

Plainly, Pokey was unacquainted with the Spray Bottle of Justice.

Here's my picture again; THIS time, everyone should be able to see it...

tumblr_m8tjktl9EZ1rao9jio1_1280.jpg ....whoopsie. NOW I go back and see that Buglips kindly beat me to it. Buglips? Gratitude. From now on, I just hose the dratted things on my Tumblr feed.

...and Arachne? Those are just the shadow boxes on THAT wall. Doesn't count the ones to my right, or the ones behind me...

• Like 1

I used to have an IKEA bookcase with glass doors and shelves that I added lights to. Unfortunately it didn't survive the last PCS. I still have the shelves and keep telling myself I'm going to make a new bookcase to put them in "One of These Days." Right now they're all sitting on some plastic shelving from WalMart.

Here's a pic of the old bookcase before we moved back to TX.

P1020819.JPG

There's more pictures of it here. The collection has...grown...somewhat since these were taken.