Sign in to follow this  
Hellcow

Reaper Paints - how do they compare to others?

So I am getting back into painting miniatures after a long, long hiatus. In preparation for this I have been going through my paints and seeing what, if any, are still good. I used Games Workshop paints almost exclusively back then and really loved the quality, price and ease of clean up. These are all from the early to mid 90s and still seem in good shape. My question is - how does Reaper Paints compare? I'm getting the Kickstarter Bones miniatures sets and saw they have some good deals on 24 paints of what look to be pretty useful colours. I just want to know if any of the 'old timers' here have any experience with the 'classic' GW paints and the newer Reaper ones. Are the Reaper ones as good? Better? A lot better? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help a guy out!

Like all paint topics there is a lot of opinion here. I hate the new GW paints with a passion. I use Reaper a lot but I use Vallejo and Army Painter paints too.

• Like 1

Like all paint topics there is a lot of opinion here. I hate the new GW paints with a passion. I use Reaper a lot but I use Vallejo and Army Painter paints too.

I totally agree with you about the modern GW paints - I bought a single bottle a few weeks ago to see what they were like nowadays and it was awful - watery crap that stinks to high heaven! It is what prompted me to find my old GW paints in the basement though!

I can't tell you how they compare to GW paints since I skipped right over them to Reaper's MSPs. They were the first paints I tried after a long hiatus, and they impressed me from the start. They are designed for layering and hold together well when diluted, but I've used them for dry brushing, and they seem okay for that. They don't require any additives to work properly, but contain some flow improver, which some people like and some don't. They also adhere very well to primer if that matters to you. It is not generally a big deal for me since I try not to touch a work in progress.

That said, GW paints could be just as good, but I've had no reason to find out. Personally, I prefer dropper bottles, partly because the bottles keep the paints fresh and sealed, sometimes too sealed -- the notorious clogs are easy to fix, but impossible to avoid. If you like the old GW paints, you might try Coat d'Arms. I've read they are like the earlier type of GW paint with the same classic colors.

• Like 1

I use:

GW metallics and washes.

Vallejo military colors and odd colors like pastel purples and flat yellows, plus Vallejo Game Color inks and matte medium.

P3 blues and browns.

Reaper triads for monster skin like Drow and hobgoblin flesh, and various different skin tones.

Reds/oranges and blacks interchangeably between GW and P3, though I think P3 handle grays better.

I use various Army Painter colored primers, and I am fond of basecoating with Liquitex spray acrylic whenever possible.

That's me. I fiddle around until I find what mixes best and gives best coverage. I love that there are many brands available. I love experimenting.

I love, love, LOVE the old Reaper Pro Paint. Master Series Paints are an acceptable stand-in, but I'd saw off and trade limbs (even useful ones) to have the old Pro Paint line back.

But anyway, I have good news! The old citadels? Still around! They're called Coat D'arms now. I bought a full set as soon as I heard, and they're exactly the same just some new names on certain colours. This is the company that made them for Citadel back in the day before citadel brought it in-house (and turned to garbage). I think they're also the mfg for P3.

Now I'll grant that up and buying a complete paint line isn't the norm for most people, but I will say that the main difference between Reaper and Coat D'arms is the same as you used to have between Ral Partha and Citadel, with exactly the same exploitable result. Reaper isn't quite as vibrant with their pigments, so if you use both lines in combination (and they mix well together) it sort of gives you an extra dimension to play with.

I really like the Reaper paints, but that may be because they suit my style. If you follow the Dallimore / Foundry style of opaque layers from dark to light, they may not work as well for you.

I hope that you'll try a few bottles: it's the best way to get a feel for a paint line. Don't buy the mega sets unless you're sure that you like the paints. The set for $18 Kickstarter option is a good value.

Ron

PS: The dropper bottles will clog every now and again, so keep a safety pin handy.

I haven't painted in a while, but luckily I use almost everything, so some comments:

As has been said Coat d' Arms IS the old Citadel line. IMO that line was good for drybrushing, I would never be without Chainmail, but the flesh tones were garbage IMO.

Whatever else you do I suggest trying out MSP's flesh triads.

MSP's feel less sticky, tend to sit flatter, tend to turn into a better wash when thinned. The flesh tones are more natural. The paints tend to go on a bit smoother and a bit flatter.

Personally I'd go for the MSPs. Also I like Vellejo Model Colour for very flat, matte colours like black undercoats; the MSP HD might be good for that but I haven't tried them.

Like buglips, I also liked the Pros.

As has been said Coat d' Arms IS the old Citadel line. IMO that line was good for drybrushing, I would never be without Chainmail, but the flesh tones were garbage IMO.

I prefer Reaper's Fair Maiden and Caucasian for most of my work, but I will say that Coat D'arms Elf Flesh, Dwarf Flesh, and the flesh colours out of their Military line work pretty decent - either on their own or, best of all, as mixers for reaper fleshtones to help give variation while keeping consistency.

Also, I should note that I think most of the colours in Coat d'Arms Military and WW2 lines are new colours never featured in the old citadels.

So really, it's like we now have more Good Citadels.

This modern age is full of wonders.

I have been using the Reaper HD paints extensively and I would actually say that these are closer to the Old Citadel paints. They are a bit thicker coming out of the bottle but flow better than the Old Citadel. They still thin well, maybe not quite as well as the Master Series paints but overall I have really come to like the HDs as and addition to my MSPs.

I still have some old citadel paints from the '90s and they are fine paints as well but I definitely prefer both of the Reaper paint lines.

Wow - thanks for all the responses people! I feel safer ordering some of the Reaper MSP now - and I'll probably have to check out Coat D'Arms as well - what would I do without my Goblin Green and Chainmail?! ;)

Goblin green is an absolute essential. It's my primary grooming aid, helps keep my skin its nice rich colour. Drives the ladies wild.

Back when I was painting and collecting Blood Bowl Orc & Goblin teams (yes - teams plural - think I had 4 full squads at one point) I often had green fingers for days - water soluable my green butt!!

The only bad thing about Coat D'Arms is the same bad thing old citadel had: inconsistency. I think they mix colours by hand so two bottles of Goblin Green might not be the same.

Also, sometimes a bottle is very watery.

But that said, I find the color drift a common problem anyway. In my experience, Tamiya is the worst. I've had bottles of Dark Yellow from the same batch that didn't match, and eventually got into the habit of buying them 6-8 at a time and just throwing the lot into a container so they'd all blend.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bane Of Humanity
      Ok, this may have been asked before and I have a terrible memory and I could not find a straight answer in the FAQ.

The white material vs the slightly less white material (not to be confused with bones black)
      I have a what is essentially a bucket of bones miniatures from all 4 kickstarters.  Im a slow painter.  
      I decided to pick a few out to paint.  I painted Almaran the gold and noticed his head was deformed.  replaced it
      Next I tried Durok the dwarf ranger and I noticed his right side did not mold correctly.  Nothing I could do about it but its fine not complaining.
      Ive noticed most of my bones 4 that had the new grey material have not had these sort of issues.
      I would show pics but I dont wanna...

My question is has this issue been fixed for the older bones miniatures,  Are they being cast in this new grey material? 
    • By Heisler
      Something a little different for a WIP. I’m building spinner racks for my paints and tools. There will be a 6” and 5” diameters that will hold 8 paints per level. The Tool  spinner will have a single level with 1/2” holes and hold 16  tools,  paints will get separate spinners for my Oilbrushers ( one level 3/4” hole, 8 brushes), dropper bottles will get three levels with 1” holes (8 paints per level) and the 6” spinner will be for the big bottles ( 1 3/8” inch holes, 8 per level) with three levels. 

Hopefully this will help my chaotic workspace stay a bit more organized.

this is the 6” spinner with the holes drilled, except the center, and ready for the bandsaw.

• By SamuraiJack
      Some of these came back as other numbers, but but the rest won't be brought back by Reaper and some might be present in other paint lines.  

(Twilight Triad 9727)
      9079 Deep Amethyst
      9080 Indigo Sky
      9081 Pale Indigo - mix equal portions of Imperial Purple and Sky Blue

(Colored Liners Triad 9738)
      9112 Red Liner - Reaper 9307 (Discontinued now)
      9113 Green Liner - Reaper 9308
      9114 Violet Liner - Reaper 9237 (Discontinued now)

(Muted Purples Triad 9740)
      9118 Dusky Grape
      9119 Bruise Purple - Reaper 9326 (Bones 5)
      9120 Faded Purple

(Clear Brights III Triad 9744)
      9130 Clear Orange - Lava Orange 9218 and Explosion Orange 9219
      9131 Clear Viridian - Peacock Green 9226 (Discontinued now)
      9132 Clear Plum - Royal Purple 9240

(Blush Colors Triad 9747)
      9139 Antique Rose - KS Old West Rose
      9140 Blushing Rose
      9141 Porcelain Rose

(Historic Blues Triad 9751)
      9151 Steely Blue
      9152 Military Blue - Reaper 9269 (Discontinued now)
      9153 Weathered Blue

(Desert Camos Triad 9752)
      9154 Dune Shadow
      9155 Desert Khaki
      9156 Desert Sand

(Mist Greens Triad 9756)
      9166 Shadow Green - Reaper 9270 (Discontinued now)
      9167 Field Green
      9168 Mist Green

(Terracotta Clays Triad 9757) - Redstone Triad 9775 (Discontinued now)
      9169 Muddy Clay
      9170 Terracotta Clay
      9171 Fired Clay

(Cold Greys Triad 9758)
      9172 Stormcover Grey
      9173 Coldstone Grey
      9174 Icy Grey - KS Aircraft Grey (slightly greener)

(Volcano Browns Triad 9760)
      9178 Cinder Brown
      9179 Volcano Brown - Reaper 9268 (Discontinued now)
      9180 Ashen Brown - Reaper 9327

(Tropical Colors Triad 9761)
      9181 Bright Coral
      9182 Saffron sunset - Reaper 9247
      9183 Cloud Pink - Reaper 9286 (Discontinued now)

(Reptilian Greens Triad 9762)
      9184 Serpentine Shadow
      9185 Reptus Green
      9186 Scaly Highlight

(Sandy Colors Triad 9764)
      9190 Sandy Brown - Reaper 9249 (Discontinued now)
      9191 Sandy Tan
      9192  Sandy Yellow

(Sea Blues Triad 9765)
      9193 Stormy Sea
      9194 Clouded Sea
      9195 Seafoam Blue

(Humanoid Skintones Triad 9768)
      9202 Troll Shadow - MSP Stained Olive 29838 (Discontinued now)
      9203 Gnoll Brown
      9204 Halforc Highlight

(Reaper Ink II Triad 9771)
      9211 Green Ink
      9212 Blue Ink
      9213 Purple Ink 

(Spring Greens Triad 9749)
      9145 Moth Green - Reaper 9248
      9146 Spring green - Reappearance at RCon 2015
      9147 Luminous Green - Reaper 9248 + 1 drop of white

(Redstone Triad 9775)
      9223    Redstone Shadow
      9224    Redstone
      9225    Redstone Highlight

(Bright Skintones Triad 9716) 
      9232    Bright Skin Shadow
      9233    Bright Skin
      9234    Bright Skin Highlight

(Shading Colors Triad 9779)
      9235    Red Shadow
      9236    Green Shadow
      9237    Violet Shadow

(Dusky Skin Triad 9784) 
      9250    Dusky Skin Shadow
      9251    Dusky Skin
      9252    Dusky Skin Highlight

(Evening Colors Triad 9789)
      9265    Deep Twilight
      9266    Violet Light
      9267    Sunset Purple

(Neutral Bone Triad 9791)
      9271    Dirty Bone
      9272    Graveyard Bone
      9273    Splintered Bone

(Western Colors Triad 9795)
      9283    Old West Rose
      9284    Lone Star Leather
      9285    Denim Blue

(Chronoscope Colors Triad 9797)
      9291    IMEF Olive
      9292    Bathalian Chitin
      9293    Alien Flesh

(CAV Colors Triad 9799)
      9295    MSP Core Colors: Rach Red
      9296    MSP Core Colors: Malvernian Purple
      9297    MSP Core Colors: Adonese Green

(Partial and non Triad colors)
      9073    Chestnut Gold
      9093    Golden Highlight
      9121    Khaki Shadow
      9142    Stained Ivory
      9157    Olive Shadow
      9159    Worn Olive
      9175    Swamp Green
      9177    Camouflage Green
      9210    Red Ink
      9220    Olive Skin Shadow
      9222    Olive Skin Highlight
      9226    Peacock Green
      9229    Worn Navy
      9230    Soft Blue
      9238    Regal Purple
      9244    Muddy Soil
      9249    Sandy Brown
      9268    Volcano Brown
      9269    Military Blue
      9270    Shadow Green
      9277    Spattered Crimson
      9278    Gory Red
      9282    Maggot White
      9286    Punk Rock Pink

(Heavy Gear paints)
      RPR 61101 Terra Nova Tundra (Possible alternative: NMM gold?)
      RPR 61102 Macallen Brown
      RPR 61103 Redrider Crimson
      RPR 61104 Dune Shadow
      RPR 61105 Mekong Moss
      RPR 61106 Giant Fern
      RPR 61107 Okavango Swamp
      RPR 61108 Republique Red
      RPR 61109 Armadillo Tusk 
      RPR 61110 White Sand
      RPR 61111 Paxton Red
      RPR 61112 War Paint Red
      RPR 61113 Arthurian Blue 
      RPR 61114 Blue Crescent
      RPR 61115 Atlantean Aqua
      RPR 61116 Coated Armor
      RPR 61117 Factory White (Ghost white + Blue Flame perhaps?)
      RPR 61118 Grel Flesh
      RPR 61119 Afterburn Grey
      RPR 61120 Hazard Yellow 
      RPR 61121 R.a.m. Black
      RPR 61122 Durasheet Alloy
      RPR 61123 Skunkworks Gunmetal
      RPR 61124 Beacon Yellow
      RPR 61125 Fallout Grey 
      RPR 61126 Ash Grey
      RPR 61127 Waveform Aquamarine
      RPR 61128 Gamma Shielding Gold
      RPR 61129 Cat's Eye Umber 
      RPR 61130 Cat's Eye
      RPR 61131 Red Dust
      RPR 61132 Drillbit Metal

HD Line:

29803    HD Entrail Pink    
      29804    HD Rusty Red    
      29805    HD Burning Orange    
      29807    HD Mustard Yellow    
      29810    HD Mossy Green    
      29814    HD Ice Blue    
      29816    HD Solid Blue    
      29817    HD Winter Blue    
      29818    HD Nightsky Blue    
      29821    HD Sunburn Flesh    
      29829    HD Golden Brown    
      29830    HD Ruddy Brown    
      29832    HD Concrete Grey    
      29833    HD Ash Grey    
      29834    HD Field Grey    
      29835    HD Dirty Grey    
      29836    HD Military Grey    
      29837    HD Armor Grey    
      29838    HD Stained Olive    
      29839    HD Maroon Red    
      29840    HD Garnet Red    
      29845    HD Gilded Yellow    
      29846    HD spruce Green    
      29848    HD Jungle Camo    
      29849    HD Umber Brown    
      29850    HD Elfin Flesh    
      29851    HD Tropical Aqua    
      29852    HD Dwarven Flesh    
      29853    HD Rosy Pink    
      29854    HD Arctic Grey    
    • By Rat13
      At the moment I'm not exactly starved for projects (I've actually got a long list taped to my desk), but what I really wanted was something quick and easy. Luckily one of the projects on that list fit the bill perfectly so my third Imperial Guard joke squad has started. 

Unlike my "Fabulous" squad or even my Tau defectors this is a more nuanced joke. Instead of painting battle hardened Cadiens I'll be painting a squad of the Planetary Defense Force. GW lore is a funny thing whenever comparisons are made as any player can tell you. So while the Imperial Guard especially the Cadiens are "elite" warriors completely at home on the battlefield the Planetary Defense Forces are easily killed cannon fodder living the cushy good life on Imperial worlds. The PDF act as peacekeepers and the first line of defense during any attack and they usually end up dying in droves (not unlike the actual Guard). 

The only real difference at least on the actual tabletop will come down to color scheme. I've decided a peacekeeper's color scheme would work well and I've come up with two options. 
      I think I prefer the blue tunic with the grey armor, but the reverse could work too. I figure I'll just sleep on it and decide tomorrow with fresh eyes, but I'm open to any thoughts/ideas.
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      Does anyone know what the closest match to dirty grey is out of the currently available paints? I'm kind of on my last little bit of it, and I used it on a bunch of stuff that I'll likely need to get close to matching in the future.
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)