The Miniature Training Diet (For Us KickStarter Peeps)

Thes Hunter

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting back into painting after a really long break (we're talking decades) so I don't have a huge collection of miniatures, but even so I still have more than i'm happy with in the 'primed and patiently, patiently waiting' stage.

One thing I have found as a good motivator is writing my blog about an amateur's adventures in painting. It lets me keep a visual record of how i'm progressing as a painter and the added incentive of knowing others are seeing what i've come up with and being inspired to paint themselves gets me reaching for the next mini.

Even over the last year i've seen a big improvement in the results i'm getting but not, unfortunately, in the number of minis still patiently...patiently...impatiently waiting!

My backlog of unpainted minis is marked by era. Buglips would break into a cold sweat if he could see the boxes of old unpainted Parthas and Genadiers I have, still in mint condition that I had picked up in '96 when a local game store went belly up. That's not to mention the hordes of new Reapers I've bought since then and the Reptus army I got for Christmas last year. All are still quite shiny.

But, I have a new master now. The paint no longer holds sway. The new master is green and pliable and likes it when I form it into pretty shapes. Shapes which can then be made into more metal that I will not have time to paint.

Andy

Hahaha! Your son is getting into painting now, right? What a treasure trove for a new painter!

• Like 1

3 half-finished mini's are now finished.

They are from the miniature company that shall not be named: Voldeworkshop.

I swear I need to keep imposing a time limit on myself... cause without it, I seem to fall into the 'nit-picky lets put some more layers of paint on the mini with out making it look any better' mode.

Go Adrift go! Post photos if you can!

IMG_0732.jpeg

Now here is my unfinished collection part 2 (I'm ashamed to say there will be likely many more parts as I clean/move and consolidate my mini collection for the wedding).

I finished the 3 orcs in the back... took me 3 hours... for a speed paint job, I'm dirt slow. :blush:

I have plans to finish Mr. Snake in the front as soon as I can sit down and paint. Gotta couple things of paperwork (and some D&D tonight) getting in the way, but soon! Soon! I will add another one to the pile of DONE!

I think I am going to count down the Kickstarter tomorrow with painting a mini for every one that is added to my pledge tomorrow. I might be able to hack it... if I set a timer so I don't fall into perfection mode. :bday:

I'm entering another phase of paring down my collection, so adding 200+ Bones models is not something I want to do. Still, I am gearing up to get models on the table. The plan is loosely something like this: Warlord, Malifaux, Sedition Wars, competitions...and not necessarily in that order. Still, I'm in this Kickstarter for paints and the figure case, trying to move things forward. I don't know when, or how, or if there will be pictures along the way, but I wanted to chime in and give some props for starting this thread. Keep it going, and good luck!

I have learned and become a better painter by painting alot of mini's so some advice for all you painters out there keep painting it only makes you a better painter. I've gotten to the point were I am a multiple award winner for painted mini's. Keep on painting!!!

One more, chiming in from slightly beyond right field...a wise old mini painter - Rodnick - once said, ever so eloquently, "There's just no substitute for butt-in-chair time." ::D:

Unfortunately, I find myself in a position where I cannot participate in the kickstarter. However, it's fun to watch those who are.

...and I have a very small shelf of shame.

Come spring when people start unloading masses of unwanted figures you'll be in a very good position to add to your collection.

My backlog of unpainted minis is marked by era. Buglips would break into a cold sweat if he could see the boxes of old unpainted Parthas and Genadiers I have, still in mint condition that I had picked up in '96 when a local game store went belly up.

Heh. You should see the pile of stuff I bought back when Grenadier was still in business... I'm not even trying to paint it.

A friend of mine just pledged $100 to Kickstarter, and since I am his designated painter, I'll have plenty to do! (He also agreed so sell me any of the individual ones I want, although that won't be for a while, since I have a big pile of unpainted minis still to finish.). We'll probably use most of his minis for D&D.

Thes Hunter that little pile is nothing to be ashamed of :)

Oh I also started posting pictures of my completed stuff in the Furiously Painting thread...rather than fill this thread with my finished stuff I figured I'd just start consolidating all my painting into a single thread.

Remember the photo of the big box of unopened stuff I posted in the 1st post... well, there is that, and this is everything that came out of my primed and ready to paint bag. I am sure when I get over to my old place tomorrow, there will be far, far more stuff to add to the 'unpainted minis'.

And I am doing this partially to get the man a little less disapproving of me adding 240+ minis in March of next year.

Though I did add another mini to the pile last night. It's already finished getting painted though:

IMG_0735.jpg

I just had to grab one of these Bones figs from my FLGS to see how they paint up. I gotta say, I didn't prime it, and I had to fight the first coat to go on, but after that it was smooth... sooo smooth.

I'm really looking forward to March now.

And now, I'm moving on to finishing up 6 skeletons from my Descent project. (I've decided I'm not including any minis from any board game (Like Legend of Drizzt) unless I have already primed them.

• Like 1

I'm another re-newbied painter. I've collected minis since the late 70s - actually I was in my FLGS looking at a Ral Partha elf (that I still own, sans axe) when a kid approached me with an offer to play D&D for the first time. Didn't actually paint until the early 90s, I was living in LA and painting at the FLGS there when the OJ verdict came down!

Aaanyway. I've painted a grand total of 1 mini in the last 14-15 years (about a year and a half ago) and now I've begun for reals, kickstarted, if you will. I'll put stuff here in WIPs, and I have a blog over at cashwiley.wordpress.com. Right now I'm working on a Studio McVey mini for a contest there, and as a learning project for new techniques.

I have a partial pic of some of the pile o shame I uploaded when I got them out of storage a while back...

moshpit.jpg

And some stuff I did in the 90s:

oldminis.jpg

• Like 1