The Miniature Training Diet (For Us KickStarter Peeps)

• Forum Mascot

Well here is part of my unpainted collection, definitely not going to be able to paint even a small fraction of it by the time the Bones arrive. I average about 20 minis a year, my husband paints also but he does so even less frequently maybe about 10 a year. So without buying any more I think it could last a good long while. My goal this year is to paint my circle army for Hordes pretty ambitious goal for me, but I think if I speed paint the units it could be managed.

Here you go some pictures of my minis of shame.

My Reaper and warmachine drawer

Your TSR Ral Partha boxed sets are giving me tingly feelings all over. Takhisis! Lord Soth's Charge! Dragonlance Heroes!

What number is your Takhisis? Mine's 2406.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got busy and wasn't able to post these, but these are what I was able to finish before the great Bones explosion of 2013.         A practice speed paint, I think it took me 2-3 hours thou

I hide mine away in drawers like a dirty secret. As far as anybody knows, I never own more than 5 unpainted.   For my part, I ignore the mass of metal until it's time for a new project. This does

I have the same self imposed rules... but the gender is swapped. Guys don't let yourself be fooled, and gaming spouse won't always permit one to expand their collections to the infinite extent the fan

Posted Images

• Forum Mascot

Oooh, yours is gonna be a beast. I've started mine. Painting her is actually the easy part, and isn't that tough. Problem is you have to assemble a lot of her before you can get that far. You can leave the heads detached, and wings detached, and not attach her to the base - but the necks, arms, body, and tail pretty much have to be assembled straight off. You will be working with a lot of greenstuff! Mine had half-inch gaps between neck pieces and the fit was horrific.

She's worth the effort, and pretty easy to actually paint (once you figure out how to manipulate her mostly-assembled bulk). Mine's creeping along while I do other stuff. Mine's also red, because Tiamat's cooler. The heads might be in the wrong order, but it's close enough.

Well my method involves some strict new self (wife) imposed (stern faces) rules (the law hath been laid down to me):

1) I can't spend anymore money in miniatures unless:

2) I have to sell of loads of my "collection" (addiction to new shiny)

So I'm refining myself to fewer gaming systems. I'm also restricting this to specific army list to try to give me a target for hobby achievement. I'm also going to try to play a game a week. This week it is Firestorm so I am frantically going to speed paint my list for Wednesday.

I did the kickstarter and a ton of options too so I will have Vampire plus $200 worth of options! Reaper minis has got me well and truly back into fantasy. So after 21 years not roleplaying I will be playing pathfinder very shortly. (next week I think we start).

Pierre :)

i have a few hundred undead minis left for my fantasy army. and i have 20 space marines left to paint before the next shipment of miniatures(kickstarter) comes. so im ahead of schedule having nothing now but time to paint and wait. going to see if i can get a good picture of my army on here tonight(on its own thread) after work. just to show you what it looks like

Hey guys, first post here. I had planned to finish all my minis by the time my Reaper order comes in. So I figured I'd join the forum and participate in this "Diet" as a way of tracking my progress.

So, I've got 17 left to start, 17 to finish painting, and 22 left to be based for a total of 56 unfinished models.

2012-09-03.jpg

135-12-33

• Like 1

To my shame I haven't touched a paint brush to a figure for about 4 years. I dug through my storage room yesterday and found the 200 or so GW space marines - tanks/vehicles, 300+ Battletech, & about 400 to 500 fantasy minis (most of which are in Rubbermaid storage bins). Found tanks, mechs and other figures I'd been working on before I got a few years of poop happens, happened. Things are slowly getting back on track and thanks to a friend that told me about the reaper kick starter, I got the itch to start painting again.

Also found my painting supplies and to as I had suspected, all my paints were dry as a bone (lol). Guess I'll have to up my options again to get my paint collection back on track. It's going to be hard with the price of paints these days to pass up getting them from this KS. I bought most of the now dried up jars, of GW stuff , at between 1.00 & 1.50 per jar. OMG they're at $3.50 to nearly $4 per jar/pot/tube. Ouchy!

I'll try to post some pics when I can get my camera working.

To all those that have posted pics thus far, I'm envious! My collection isn't even half as neatly stored lol.

I am in the process of painting Super Dungeon Explore. After that is complete I plan on moving to the box of unpainted metal minis.

I am painting a few hours 4 nights a week (M-T-W-F) to get into a habit of it for when the box of awesome arrives next spring.

I have other more craft related hobbies I work on during the weekend, I find mixing them up keeps me from getting burnout of anything.

So far my biggest hurdle with the Super Dungeon set is some of the minis are just boring and I am trying to paint them first which means I am procrastinating. A pillar with a skull on it is nowhere near as fun and a chibi dragon whelp.

• 6 months later...

So guys, let's see what unpainted collections you want to work through, and the progress you make on your goals!

Well here is part of my unpainted collection, definitely not going to be able to paint even a small fraction of it by the time the Bones arrive. I average about 20 minis a year, my husband paints also but he does so even less frequently maybe about 10 a year. So without buying any more I think it could last a good long while. My goal this year is to paint my circle army for Hordes pretty ambitious goal for me, but I think if I speed paint the units it could be managed.

Here you go some pictures of my minis of shame.

My Reaper and warmachine drawer

Oh my, I am not only jealous of your collection, but your organization of it as well. :blink:

Sorry I have been away from the thread for a while, but with March finishing up, I thought I'd come back and share my progress. (and please every one else post their progress as well!)

I have gotten a lot (for me) done! But it barely scratched the surface of the minis that have been left unpainted. I got through most of my bag of primed and ready to paint, but didn't make a scratch on the surface. Oh well, but now I have the confidence and excitement to keep on painting and get even more done!

I will post some picts soon on my progress, but for right now, one of them is up on a thread of her own. (Maybe when I have a second later tonight, I'll point her out in the photo of the unpainted masses, so you can compare to her all dolled up now.) :lol:

While I've painted a lot more miniatures since pledging the Bones Kickstarter than I ever thought possible for me in this time frame, I'm actually only further behind in clearing my que of unpainted miniatures, since I got a little bit of miniature-madness for a while after doing the Bones Kickstarter and got a bunch more miniatures from other Kickstarters and elsewhere.

I'm about a third of the way through my Scotia Grendel, Megaminiatures and Armorcast fantasy accessories/terrain pieces. I've made a tiny dent in painting up my swarm of Megaminiatures townfolk. I've painted 2 and a half of my existing Reaper Bones minis. I've painted through four of the five Learn To Paint Kit sets of miniatures. I also painted up Reaper's Talanka, Ogre Shaman, Reaper's frost giantess, several old Dark Sun minis and a few other miscellaneous miniatures. But I still have easily one or two years' worth of painting to get through my existing unpained minis at the current rate.

I have been keeping up with a mini a week. A schedule I can do, and surpass often. Really enjoying the painting of weekly stuff, it relaxes me after long days of webdeveloping @ work.

I have made a significant dent in my collection of unpainted mini's, but I have to say... I did order in a 12 man cult for a upcoming dungeon I am running. So it is going up a little. And after Reaper arrives I still get the Stoneheaven Gnomes! Weeeeeeee....