Sign in to follow this  
n3rd

Base sizes

I'm sure this information is somewhere, but if it is, I'm apparently not smart enough to find it :-)

Simple question: how big are the Bones miniatures? I've pledged a bunch of money to get a set of Bones miniatures in order to use them as proxies for the conversion kit monsters for Descent 2E, and while it isn't absolutely important that they match in size, it would still be good to know whether they do or not.

For instance, the Frost Wyrm looks like a fantastic proxy for Descent's Ice Worm. However, I can't quite tell whether the Bones miniature has a two-by-two base (certainly looks like it, but its much less clear for some of the other miniatures).

Bottom line: What's the standard base size (if any) for 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 Bones miniatures? How can I find out what miniature has what (intended) base size?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

The minis are scaled to 28mm heroic height. Any small or medium-sized mini will normally fit perfectly on a 25mm base, either round or square. You'll have to improvise for the larger minis such as the hydra and dragons, though.

But yeah. 95% of them will fit fine on a 25mm base. Some of the obviously larger minis (ogres, giants, etc) will need larger bases. It varies from mini to mini. If you want to post a specific mini here we can tell you the best size for a base.

So short answer: 25mm, but maybe prepare a couple 40mm or 50mm.

Thanks for the quick reply. That pretty much confirms what I've suspected.

The minis are scaled to 28mm heroic height. Any small or medium-sized mini will normally fit perfectly on a 25mm base, either round or square. You'll have to improvise for the larger minis such as the hydra and dragons, though.

I assumed that miniatures like the Pathfinder Red Dragon (from the Kickstarter set) probably won't work particularly well due to its long tail, so I'm gonna stay away from that for the time being. The Fire Giants, on the other hand, should work beautifully since the giants from Descent also have a 2x2 base.

But yeah. 95% of them will fit fine on a 25mm base. Some of the obviously larger minis (ogres, giants, etc) will need larger bases. It varies from mini to mini.

So short answer: 25mm, but maybe prepare a couple 40mm or 50mm.

Is it save to assume, though, that most miniatures will fit on either 1x1 (e.g., Goblins), 1x2 (e.g., "Mind your Manors" ogres), 2x2 (e.g., Giants) or 3x2 (e.g., Jabberwock) 25mm tiles? Obvious exceptions are things like Nethyrmaul, the Undead Giant or Ebonwrath.

There is a Bones Links thread. In that thread there are a number of size comparison pictures (several that I took). I do have a pic of my Frost Wyrm in there, and it is on a 50mm square base. The Templar Knight is on a 25mm square base. Using the Templar Knight in the pics on the KS page, you should be able to roughly estimate the size of all of the figures there.

~v

Edited by ladystorm
added link

I'm sure this information is somewhere, but if it is, I'm apparently not smart enough to find it :-)

Simple question: how big are the Bones miniatures? I've pledged a bunch of money to get a set of Bones miniatures in order to use them as proxies for the conversion kit monsters for Descent 2E, and while it isn't absolutely important that they match in size, it would still be good to know whether they do or not.

For instance, the Frost Wyrm looks like a fantastic proxy for Descent's Ice Worm. However, I can't quite tell whether the Bones miniature has a two-by-two base (certainly looks like it, but its much less clear for some of the other miniatures).

Bottom line: What's the standard base size (if any) for 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 Bones miniatures? How can I find out what miniature has what (intended) base size?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

I have some desent minis, and some reaper minis. I don't have the 2 in particular you are asking about, but I could dig around and find a couple of comparisons in my collection if you would like.

I have some desent minis, and some reaper minis. I don't have the 2 in particular you are asking about, but I could dig around and find a couple of comparisons in my collection if you would like.

Thanks for the offering, but I think I'm good. Unless maybe you have some hero-like Bones miniatures. The only thing I'm a little worried about when mixing FFG and Bones miniatures is that the Bones heroes look quite a bit bigger than their FFG counterparts. I imagine those heroes looking quite ridiculous next to the Goblin Archers...

Is it save to assume, though, that most miniatures will fit on either 1x1 (e.g., Goblins), 1x2 (e.g., "Mind your Manors" ogres), 2x2 (e.g., Giants) or 3x2 (e.g., Jabberwock) 25mm tiles?
1" round metal washers from the hardware store should cover most man sized figures. 2" metal washers should fit most of the giants. Yes some of the ogres may fit on a 1"x2" 'cavalry' base, for use in Descent, but seem like odd Proxie choices for hellhounds and Wendigo.

As to where to get bases...

1" metal bases { called washers by normal folks ] can be bought at the hardware store. 100 can often be bought for between $3 to $15 US dollars. Call the local stores, the prices do vary store to store. 1.5" and 2" metal washers can also be bought there for moderately higher prices. if you want a 3/4" base, a US penny will work.

Poker chips are usually either 1.5" or 40mm. Cheaper ones are usually 1.5".

Bases can be had pretty cheaply if you know where to look. 1" discs show up often in several types of merchandise. If you buy bases online, there is a decent chance the shipping will cost you more than than the bases would have cost you at the Dollar Store / Craft store / Hardware store.

This guy has decent prices for plastic bases, but he recently got himself a day job so this supply might dry up. Bases for miniatures

Even with international shipping EM4 minis bases are a good value. They are very close to the "slotta" bases games workshop uses and these were the bases Wotc used for the 2001 Chainmail game. em4miniatures Miniatures Bases

Galeforce 9 USED to sell pints and quarts of MDF bases for a good price.

Some folks swear by litko, but they overcharge for Oval and Pill shaped bases, which you will want for Decent :(

Circular Miniature Bases: 25 mm - LITKO Game Accessories

TLDR: I've used this company for MDF bases because they don't have giant upcharges on oval and Pill bases. Home - Welcome to Warbases.co.uk You'll need to Cutom order the dragon's 50mm x 75mm oval

Descent 1E hellhound base was Pill Shape

Descent Dragons and Barghest are Oval shape.

I was a huge fan of the GF9 bases - and keep checking to see if they are back in (they did say 'temporarily unavailable', once upon a time....)

Another place to find MDF bases is MiniBits - reasonable prices, though I miss buying bases by the quart.... Thanks to Ghenghis_Ska on the World Works forums for pointing them out to me.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I had heard that GF9 wasn't going to carry the mdf wood bases anymore. However they did seem to have the bins to buy by the quart at Gen Con, so I'm not sure if that's just remaining stock or if they're getting back into it. I ended up ordering some additional sizes from another place, which I unfortunately do not remember the name of at the moment.

I decided it was time to start looking into basing all those Bones that will be on their way soon (is it March yet? Is it?), and added up how many of each I needed.

For the basic Vampire level bones, you'd need:

226 Standard bases (1" or 25mm)

9 Large bases (1.5" or 40mm)

This assumes the following: Standard Warlord basing sizes, that you will not be basing the Dungeon Dressing pieces, and that you will not be basing the .pdf files.

There were 240 models in Vampire. Were there 10 going unbased? maybe the vermin or dungeon dressing pieces I guess?

There were 240 models in Vampire. Were there 10 going unbased? maybe the vermin or dungeon dressing pieces I guess?

Oops, I was off by a couple. Somewhere I mis-added one of the +4 +4 +4 +4 +4 sequences. Double checked and updated.