Sign in to follow this  
Masika

Basing Bone miniatures

Do you recommend trying to remove the broccoli base off of the Bones miniatures before basing, or adding gluing the broccoli base to the "main" main and then adding basing materials like sand, static grass, etc. over the whole thing?

Do you recommend trying to remove the broccoli base off of the Bones miniatures before basing, or adding gluing the broccoli base to the "main" main and then adding basing materials like sand, static grass, etc. over the whole thing?

Depends. I did on the Battle Golem but on my Townsfolk I bulk out the brocoli base to what ever I'm glueing them to.

It depends what you are basing on.

If you are going for the washer or flat plywood or plastic bases then I would leave the broccoli base on and build up around it. There are some great examples around the place of minis where this has been done.

Obviously if you are rebasing on a resin scenic base you need to remove the broccoli base, fortunately this is easy to do.

Has anyone tried using cast Hirst Arts tiles for bases, like the flagstone sets? The tiles should be 1" square, which would make them perfect for D&D...

Has anyone tried using cast Hirst Arts tiles for bases, like the flagstone sets? The tiles should be 1" square, which would make them perfect for D&D...

1 inch square bases are really too big, no wiggle room.

I've tried to use them and did not like the result.

I am planning on going "all in" for fender washer basing. As far as fender washers are concerned, would you recommend using 7/8" and not 1" width washers? My minis are for gaming and I ask because I assume 1" washers don't leave any room for error at all on a 1" grid.

THanks,

1" circular bases work moderately well on a 1" grid (1" square bases are much more problematic). That said, if the figure will fit, I'd go with 3/4" bases for the extra wiggle room.

The problem is that many figures barely fit on a 1" base, so it's not a slam dunk on any particular size.

I am planning on going "all in" for fender washer basing. As far as fender washers are concerned, would you recommend using 7/8" and not 1" width washers? My minis are for gaming and I ask because I assume 1" washers don't leave any room for error at all on a 1" grid.

THanks,

I'd use 7/8", but get soome 1" for figurses that need it,

The problem is that many figures barely fit on a 1" base, so it's not a slam dunk on any particular size.

This is unfortunate. Maybe since they are bendy I will be able to "make them" fit whether they want to or not.

I use fender washers exclusively, and will never turn back.
What about the holes in the washers?

Fender washers have smaller holes than regular washers, and it's not too difficult to fill in the hole with whatever method, be it epoxy or whatever.