OK - Hands up those who couldn't wait

Hellcow

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the bugbear on the right (unmodded) during the KS and the one on the left (modded) today. My first mod ever in fact. I was never willing to risk ruining a $11 mini and fuss with cutting metal, but with bones the risk is a $2.50 mini and surgery is done with an exacto knife.

For the modded bugbear, the arms were reattached using crazy glue for one arm and green stuff for the other, along with some green stuff to create missing musculature and armor strap on the surface. Painting was base coats only with shading done using Army Painter Quickshade Dark for left bugbear and Quickshade Strong for the one on the right.

7990162621_19318f65f8_z.jpg

7990171368_9561c08b39_z.jpg

7990171064_dcc0c69751_b.jpg

• Like 2

Since I live in the Netherlands, I can't properly get my hands on Reaper minis, so I ended up getting some GW minis to start trying painting. The idea is to start with the bad stuff first, right? ;) It won't be too bad if I mess up these 5 starting pieces.

I did the bugbear on the right (unmodded) during the KS and the one on the left (modded) today. My first mod ever in fact. I was never willing to risk ruining a $11 mini and fuss with cutting metal, but with bones the risk is a $2.50 mini and surgery is done with an exacto knife.

For the modded bugbear, the arms were reattached using crazy glue for one arm and green stuff for the other, along with some green stuff to create missing musculature and armor strap on the surface. Painting was base coats only with shading done using Army Painter Quickshade Dark for left bugbear and Quickshade Strong for the one on the right.

Nice job on the conversion. :) It is certainly much nicer to experiment on a cheaper product!

Personally I prefer the look of the dark tone to the strong tone. It's a nicer black-lining effect, rather than a muddiness of the brown based dips IMO. I use the Minwax Polyshades equivalent of dark tone which can be harder to find at hardware stores, Tudor. It makes speed painting much better than it would be otherwise.

Did you use the anti-shine spray on these guys yet, or is the shininess just due to the bright lights for photography?

Eric

I did not use any anti-shine as I am one of the wierd ones that like the gloss look.

If I ever try matte varnish again, I will use the brush-on kind since the only metal figs I have tried to spray with matte varnish were ruined by it (left them looking very cloudy, almost as if they were thinly sprayed with white primer).

that's usually from spraying the sealer too heavily in a single coat or not letting you paint fully dry before sealing. Two very light coats over a gloss finish is more than sufficient. The gloss is your protection. Dullcote is just to eliminate shine which doesn't take much.

I bought a Great Worm in anticipation of having shiney new paints soon. Am now having a staring contest with the Gnoll Warrior....
I did the exact same thing, lmfao.... At least I got the worm painted, lol. I was considering buying at least three more to make varients of it. I've got a Purple Worm but now I want a Sand Worm (aka Graboid) and even have tenticles tanding by to add to the mouth. I was also considering a Snow/Ice Worm and a Lava Worm.

here is the painted Great (Purple) Worm

Pathfinder:  Purple Worm

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Badocter, often humidity can cause that cloudiness issue, it's amazingly bad luck that your only time had this happen. Many of us spray hundreds of models before we encounter it. Respraying later when the conditions are better can help. I find the change from freshy dipped to treated to dull cote a massive improvement on my models. I can understand your reluctance to try it.

The purple worm looks very good Girot, and the spittle looks fine the way it is IMO :)

I've got to finish off my light box so I can take pictures of minis one of these days...

Eric

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Badocter, often humidity can cause that cloudiness issue, it's amazingly bad luck that your only time had this happen. Many of us spray hundreds of models before we encounter it.

I'm am in southeast Texas....the humidity is always high.