Reaper's C'thulhu

The concept art looks fantastic. What I am really digging is that It looks like it has a longer neck than most depictions of the Big-C, adding more of the dragon aspect It is supposed to have. Also it is neat that C'thulhu has the same type of 'pores' that the Goroloths have.

Can such a figure be cast in the transparent plastic? Cthulhu isn't 100% normal matter IIRC

The Call Of Cthulhu (1926)

Samurai007 did a nice colouring of the concept art...

I did this to celebrate the end of the KS, it might make a cool shirt:

cthulhu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get me started on copyright extension. As long as Disney has money and politicians want it, Mickey Mouse will never be public domain. All we can hope for is that other things will be. I was glad

I figured it out!   "That Guy" works for Cthulhu, you see. This is all part of a clever and devious plan. By dropping hints about things we desperately want to see, "That Guy" ensures a baseline i

Stirring the pot a bit more today: The figure is getting bulked out and it is getting HUGE!

I think it's interesting that he's blatantly called C'thulhu now, instead of "Eldritch Demon". Looking forward to getting him though, he's much more imposing than the previous incarnation (so much so that I'm using the money I pledged for the first option to get this one instead).

Over the last few years, companies have become bolder in the use of Lovecraft's material because it looks more and more that his works are in the public domain or at least can't be proven not to be in the public domain. That said, Chasioum has a Trademark on the term "The Call of Cthulhu" for use in gaming.

H._P._Lovecraft Copyright

At the Mountains of Maddness (1931)

It was curious to note from the pictured battles that both the Cthulhu spawn and the Mi-Go seem to have been composed of matter more widely different from that which we know than was the substance of the Old Ones. They were able to undergo transformations and reintegrations impossible for their adversaries, and seem therefore to have originally come from even remoter gulfs of the cosmic space. The Old Ones, but for their abnormal toughness and peculiar vital properties, were strictly material, and must have had their absolute origin within the known space-time continuum...

Thank goodness for that, so many of these copyright/trademark/patent disputes are just bunk. I'm happy to see reaper not responding to those lawsuit threatening jerks.

It would especially maddening in this case as Lovecraft has no direct descendants having fathered no children. I have little problem with a creator's family reaping the benefits of their work but do have one when it is just a bunch of lawyers (read up on the copyright nonsense surrounding the song Happy Birthday if you really want to angry up the blood).http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/birthday.asp

Don't get me started on copyright extension. As long as Disney has money and politicians want it, Mickey Mouse will never be public domain. All we can hope for is that other things will be. I was glad to see that Sherlock Holmes finally made it. Some things, if they last long enough and are celebrated enough in our culture, ought to belong to us all.

Tarzan is starting to look like he won't be one of those things.

But why not Cthulhu? I very, very much look forward to seeing what a Cthulhu Bone will look like. Jason Wiebe's Eldritch Demon was great... but too durn small. This did not keep me from buying five or six of them...

• Like 2
Can such a figure be cast in the transparent plastic? Cthulhu isn't 100% normal matter IIRC

I too would like to see it in that transulcent green plastic.

It would be an imposing sight even without painting and would likely sell to non-painters.

It would make a good sales display item too, hint, hint... ;-)

I'm happy with how good his cephalopod head looks. It's one of the best interpretations I've ever seen. As much as I'm a Lovecraft dork (we won't talk about how many editions of his stories I own), I bought three of these simply on the strength of the concept. I hope the sculpt does it justice and doesn't stray too far from the amazing concept.

Reaper's sculptors usually don't have any problems getting pretty darn close to the concept art they are working from. However, what the artist draws is not always possible to perfectly capture either, usually from the stand point of having to fit it into a mold.

Jason Wiebe's Eldritch Demon was great... but too durn small. This did not keep me from buying five or six of them...

Yeah that figure is definately not Cthulhu but they do make perfect Star Spawns.

Weeeeeelll... kinda. Star Spawns were actually supposed to be larger, according to Lovecraft; if you really want to get sticky, in 28mm, a Star Spawn would be a foot and a half tall, whereas Cthulhu himself would be about four to five feet tall, standing erect.

But I could be convinced to fudge it.