Reaper's C'thulhu

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get me started on copyright extension. As long as Disney has money and politicians want it, Mickey Mouse will never be public domain. All we can hope for is that other things will be. I was glad

I figured it out!   "That Guy" works for Cthulhu, you see. This is all part of a clever and devious plan. By dropping hints about things we desperately want to see, "That Guy" ensures a baseline i

Stirring the pot a bit more today: The figure is getting bulked out and it is getting HUGE!

I don't even want C'thulhu. I already have several largish plastic C'thulhus. I'm stupid like that. The novelty wears off quickly! I'd rather have the ice giant king and queen. But I feel like I'm SUPPOSED to order C'thulhu. like if I don't I"m being ungrateful and betraying my nerdy lifestyle. I feel obligated to get C'thulhu. So I'm getting him. But I'd still rather have those Ice giants. If those Ice giants had had a set of ice giant warriors to go with them I'd have dumped c'thulhu. Yeah, he'd be right there with the demons and the hydra and Nethyrmaul NOT GETTING ORDERED BY ME.

Man, I'm glad THAT rant is over.

Jason Wiebe's Eldritch Demon was great... but too durn small. This did not keep me from buying five or six of them...

Yeah that figure is definately not Cthulhu but they do make perfect Star Spawns.

Weeeeeelll... kinda. Star Spawns were actually supposed to be larger, according to Lovecraft; if you really want to get sticky, in 28mm, a Star Spawn would be a foot and a half tall, whereas Cthulhu himself would be about four to five feet tall, standing erect.

But I could be convinced to fudge it.

I think if players get close enough for that to matter, they're dead and/or insane anyway.

8 inch cthulhu is just far enough to be terrifying, without being instantly lethal

Yeah I was really glad he came out in OMWTFGINORMOUS scale. I certainly wasn't expecting it with the other Mythos Monsters and I didn't order them simply because the Cthulu in that set is too small. Having him for a minor demon however, that I can totally get behind with this bad boy saved up for the end of the campaign.

With bones being plastic and cheap and all I'm also going to experiment and see if I can partially melt some faces and place a miniature or two at his feet.

cthulhuw.jpg

Weeeeeelll... kinda. Star Spawns were actually supposed to be larger, according to Lovecraft; if you really want to get sticky, in 28mm, a Star Spawn would be a foot and a half tall, whereas Cthulhu himself would be about four to five feet tall, standing erect.
Cthulhu was described as mountainous by a first hand survivor, but his specific size was never specified. IMHO many folks assume too much about Cthulhu's size and abilities.

Spoilers ahead...

and clambered slipperily up over titan oozy blocks which could have been no mortal staircase.

The stairs of R'lyeh are climbable by humans, not easily, but it does not sound like rope and grapnel was needed. Which makes a 4'-5' tall mini sound way too big.

a great barn-door... it lumbered slobberingly into sight and gropingly squeezed Its gelatinous green immensity through the black doorway
No specifics, but this does show the Big-C's fatness does take a great deal more room than a normal barn door to pass through.
Three men were swept up by the flabby claws before anybody turned.
So both claws can scoop up 3 victims, that is certainly big, but it does not sound like the Dai-Kaiju 100+ meters size.
whilst on the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus.
And here is a very important line for what happens next. Cthulhu is a spellcaster, It's so called 'indestructibility' may merely be a few potent protective and regenerative spells.applied at the right time.
  • Like 1

I painted up the Eldritch Demon as marble - and used it as a statue of Great Cthulhu rather than as either Spawn or Cthulhu himself.

As a statue he works fine. :) I may use him as a stone golem is a Pathfinder game as well.

I may later take a Bones Eldritch Demon and cut it in half somewhat diagonally - so that he can be seen as a half sunken statue.

The Auld Grump

Regardless of how big he was originally imagined - He should be definitely be epic in size for player wow factor. He is always going to be bigger in most people's minds that his physical avatar was originally intended to be.

I also find the stairs in ry'leh to be an invalid argument. They are the for the dwellers and other nefarious beings in his service. For one he has wings and doesn't need stairs and for two, he's an elder god. If he can't will himself to the pinnacle then really, what have we to fear?

Well, since the Shadow Out of Time has a human meeting another human from 16,000 AD in the library of the Great Race and that human suggest that humaity is still dominant on the Earth and still warring with one another, we don't have much to worry about in the immediate future from Cthulhu and his spawn.

I painted up the Eldritch Demon as marble - and used it as a statue of Great Cthulhu rather than as either Spawn or Cthulhu himself.

As a statue he works fine. :) I may use him as a stone golem is a Pathfinder game as well.

I may later take a Bones Eldritch Demon and cut it in half somewhat diagonally - so that he can be seen as a half sunken statue.

The Auld Grump

Awesome idea! Got a pic?!?

Also - 'whilst on the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus.' Does NOT prove in any way that Cthulhu is a spellcaster. Polypheme (the Cyclops of the Odyssey) was not a spellcaster. He was the child of Poseidon, and asked his father to do something about the man who had blinded him, then boasted of it. On the shore he was ranting - not casting spells.

It just means that Cthulhu was danged annoyed that those kids had just run off.*

Oy! Doesn't anybody read the classics these days? Lovecraft knew who Polypheme was, and was perhaps overly fond of the term 'cyclopian' - referring to that which was built by the cyclopes.

The Auld Grump, I blame Disney.... ::P:

*EDIT* I just had a horrible image of a rubber Cthulhu doll made like those old Stretch Armstrong toys....

* Lovecraft does not describe the enormous bag of dog poo that they left on his stoop, then lit on fire before running off....

• Like 1

and was perhaps overly fond of the term 'cyclopian' - referring to that which was built by the cyclopes.

Actually it refers to rough, irregular stonework without mortar, which the Myceneans may have believed to be the work of cyclopses.

and Cthulhu can dominate the minds of lesser beings. That's magic, or at the very least technology so advanced as to be indistinguishable from magic, which makes him, for all intents and purposes relating to fantasy roleplaying, a spellcaster.