Reaper's C'thulhu

Also - 'whilst on the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus.' Does NOT prove in any way that Cthulhu is a spellcaster.

No the line does not 'prove' Cthulhu is casting spells at that moment, it just raises the possibly. But to me it makes more sense than Cthulhu wasting time ranting and raving at the fleeing boat before sliding into the water. Cthulhu being a spellcaster is directly mentioned it the story, though it might be possible Old Castro is lying.

preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious surrection... The spells that preserved them intact likewise prevented Them from making an initial move,

Polypheme (the Cyclops of the Odyssey) was not a spellcaster. He was the child of Poseidon, and asked his father to do something about the man who had blinded him, then boasted of it. On the shore he was ranting - not casting spells.
And to Francis Wayland Thurston, that is what he figured Cthulhu was doing as well. Even after reading The Call of Cthulhu the first few times, that seemed to be the case to me as well. Only recently did I start to wonder why Big C delayed at the shore when he had been damned quick to start killing after he had got out of his crypt. Then it clicked, Cthulhu was casting buff spells.
It just means that Cthulhu was danged annoyed that those kids had just run off.*
Except if It was that annoyed, why bother stopping at the waters edge? Why not just plunge into the water since it is shown Cthulhu seems good at swimming.
Oy! Doesn't anybody read the classics these days? Lovecraft knew who Polypheme was, and was perhaps overly fond of the term 'cyclopian' - referring to that which was built by the cyclopes.
Yes, I am slightly familiar with that section of the Odyssey.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get me started on copyright extension. As long as Disney has money and politicians want it, Mickey Mouse will never be public domain. All we can hope for is that other things will be. I was glad

I figured it out!   "That Guy" works for Cthulhu, you see. This is all part of a clever and devious plan. By dropping hints about things we desperately want to see, "That Guy" ensures a baseline i

Stirring the pot a bit more today: The figure is getting bulked out and it is getting HUGE!

Also - 'whilst on the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus.' Does NOT prove in any way that Cthulhu is a spellcaster.

No the line does not 'prove' Cthulhu is casting spells at that moment, it just raises the possibly. But to me it makes more sense than Cthulhu wasting time ranting and raving at the fleeing boat before sliding into the water. Cthulhu being a spellcaster is directly mentioned it the story, though it might be possible Old Castro is lying.

preserved by the spells of mighty Cthulhu for a glorious resurrection... The spells that preserved them intact likewise prevented Them from making an initial move,

Polypheme (the Cyclops of the Odyssey) was not a spellcaster. He was the child of Poseidon, and asked his father to do something about the man who had blinded him, then boasted of it. On the shore he was ranting - not casting spells.
And to Francis Wayland Thurston, that is what he figured Cthulhu was doing as well. Even after reading The Call of Cthulhu the first few times, that seemed to be the case to me as well. Only recently did I start to wonder why Big C delayed at the shore when he had been damned quick to start killing after he had got out of his crypt. Then it clicked, Cthulhu was casting buff spells.
It just means that Cthulhu was danged annoyed that those kids had just run off.*
Except if It was that annoyed, why bother stopping at the waters edge? Why not just plunge into the water since it is shown Cthulhu seems good at swimming.
Oy! Doesn't anybody read the classics these days? Lovecraft knew who Polypheme was, and was perhaps overly fond of the term 'cyclopian' - referring to that which was built by the cyclopes.
Yes, I am slightly familiar with that section of the Odyssey.

Heh - in this case, I really do think he was yelling at those kids to get off his danged lawn! He had a window of minutes to leave his prison, and these ephemeral little creatures had just spoiled it for goodness knows how long to come. He was pissed, not spellcasting. It is also quite likely that he was not rational - aeons of imprisonment not being good for even a deific psyche. ::P:

I very much doubt that Cthulhu has any great need for 'buff spells'. Great magics, twisting time and geometry, slowly eroding the confines of his prison? Certainly, but lesser magics like 'woo hoo! +2 AC!' not so much. Remember, in the old pulp days magic was seen largely, by the folks selling the tales, as being a thing of ceremony and ritual, powerful, but slow. Moving at the speed of plot.

In any event - I am more taking to task that you were presenting your argument as fact, when it is mere conjecture, not supported by the passages that you chose. And, if you knew about Polypheme then it might have been best to post where you thought the actuality differed from Thurston's point of view. As it was your choice of passage weakened rather than supported your argument. Your choice of passage in defending your argument in this round was a better choice - as it defines him as being able to work magics, as opposed to standing onshore, shaking his fist.

Castro's tale... I doubt that he was lying, but equally doubt that he was correct - in short, I suspect that he was just wrong. The cultists thought that he would reward them, but humans are delusional creatures.... Not in regards to Cthulhu's ability to cast spells, but that he would bother to take the souls of his worshipers with him. That the cultists took a passage that deals with His star spawn as somehow including them.

By the by, have you ever read Stross's The Laundry series? He takes an... odd... view of deep ones. That your average deep one doesn't want the Big C back either - but the ones most likely to contact human cultists are themselves cultists. And as far as deep ones are concerned, they rule the Earth - humans are constrained to a mere third of the sphere's surface. His argument as to why the stars are coming right also has a nice twist.

The Auld Grump, the Laundry RPG came out, not all that long ago.

• Like 1

Ewww... buff spells? What does Cthulhu need to buff for? If he shows up your players have managed to royaly @#!& up and it's time to play out spectacular deaths, then reboot the universe.

I love that take on deep ones though, I've always sort of viewed them as a tragic and sympathetic race (at least the hybrids anyway). There's no reason that they would all be cultists.

Remember, in the old pulp days magic was seen largely, by the folks selling the tales, as being a thing of ceremony and ritual, powerful, but slow. Moving at the speed of plot.
I also remember REH's Conan having to wait for a spellcaster to attack first because of the speed a magical counterattack happens at. Lovecraft used both.rituals and quick casting. The Dunwich Horror had the slow "Open up the gates to Yog-Sothoth with the long chant that ye’ll find on page 751 of the complete edition," and the quick "can see it a little when I make the Voorish sign" . Also there was no significant ritual behind "she could make any dog howl by certain motions of her right hand" and the magical effect that drives the main plot of The Thing on the Doorstep. A fine example of a reasonably quick incantation is found in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
Your choice of passage in defending your argument in this round was a better choice - as it defines him as being able to work magics, as opposed to standing onshore, shaking his fist.
Where are you getting this fist shaking stuff from? Slavering means slobber is flying from Its mouth, which can easily be caused by facial tentacles and gibbering means unintelligible words, which Lovecraft's incantations can easily fall under.

I guess if you think it is better for Cthulhu to be wasting time throwing a tantrum on the shore rather than having an actual purpose to those vocalizations, I don't need to say much else on that matter.

By the by, have you ever read Stross's The Laundry series?
Some of it. Liked a bit of the Atrocity Archives, but it lost me with the James Bond themed book.
Ewww... buff spells? What does Cthulhu need to buff for?
Because maybe some of his abilities were from his spells rather than himself.
  • Speed Spell: Cthulhu wasn't fast enough to catch the running crew members, yet his swimming speed seemed quite fast.
  • The not dying to fatal wounds or the nebulous recombining might be from a spell rather than Cthulhu Itself.

If he shows up your players have managed to royaly @#!& up and it's time to play out spectacular deaths,
This "PCs are not allowed to survive against Cthulhu" attitude is part of the problem. Big C is a incredibly powerful, but It is defeatable, the original story shows that.
Remember, in the old pulp days magic was seen largely, by the folks selling the tales, as being a thing of ceremony and ritual, powerful, but slow. Moving at the speed of plot.
I also remember REH's Conan having to wait for a spellcaster to attack first because of the speed a magical counterattack happens at. Lovecraft used both.rituals and quick casting. The Dunwich Horror had the slow "Open up the gates to Yog-Sothoth with the long chant that ye’ll find on page 751 of the complete edition," and the quick "can see it a little when I make the Voorish sign" . Also there was no significant ritual behind "she could make any dog howl by certain motions of her right hand" and the magical effect that drives the main plot of The Thing on the Doorstep. A fine example of a reasonably quick incantation is found in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
Your choice of passage in defending your argument in this round was a better choice - as it defines him as being able to work magics, as opposed to standing onshore, shaking his fist.
Where are you getting this fist shaking stuff from? Slavering means slobber is flying from Its mouth, which can easily be caused by facial tentacles and gibbering means unintelligible words, which Lovecraft's incantations can easily fall under.
I was not being literal - he was not casting spells, he was railing against the general unfairness of the world - going back to the 'Get off my lawns you kids!' And at this point, I think it fair that I roll my eyes - :rolleyes:

I guess if you think it is better for Cthulhu to be wasting time throwing a tantrum on the shore rather than having an actual purpose to those vocalizations, I don't need to say much else on that matter.
By the by, have you ever read Stross's The Laundry series?
Some of it. Liked a bit of the Atrocity Archives, but it lost me with the James Bond themed book.

Yes, I do, because your explanation is pretty much pointless - why the heck would he waste time casting buff spells when his goal is just to leave the sunken city that he has been trapped in for aeons?

Casting buff spells makes it sound like he is the guy who gets the party killed in a MORPG because he is too busy casting buff spells to focus on the objective. It's just silly. Heck - he was able to grab folks and stuff them in his mouth - which was more effective than muttering arcane spells to increase his hit points - which didn't help, because he kind of burst like a water balloon when hit by the boat. It sounds like an explanation given by a person that pays more attention to the rules of RPGs than to the needs of the story - a story written by an author that really needed to put food on his plate.

Yeah, the Big C reformed after being burst, but really, getting the heck out of R'lyeh would have been better than needing to cast a regeneration spell in the first place.

Sorry, but your version is just not all that convincing. Lovecraft made him a ravening monster in the story - once he awoke he was not casting spells, he was grabbing the closest food and stomping around like Godzilla taking a tour of Tokyo.

Use Occam's Razor - if it is a needless complication then it likely didn't happen. Cthulhu trying to pretend that he is Gandalf just does not move the story any further or more coherently.

At this point we have each made our points, I do not agree with yours, you likely do not agree with mine, and I doubt that either one of us is converting either the other or any of the other readers. I do not believe that too many will agree with your rendition, but if they do, then oh well. :devil: To each his own.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
Ewww... buff spells? What does Cthulhu need to buff for?
Because maybe some of his abilities were from his spells rather than himself.
  • Speed Spell: Cthulhu wasn't fast enough to catch the running crew members, yet his swimming speed seemed quite fast.
  • The not dying to fatal wounds or the nebulous recombining might be from a spell rather than Cthulhu Itself.

If he shows up your players have managed to royaly @#!& up and it's time to play out spectacular deaths,
This "PCs are not allowed to survive against Cthulhu" attitude is part of the problem. Big C is a incredibly powerful, but It is defeatable, the original story shows that.

In the immortal words of Mr. Horse "no sir, I don't like it".

Unless my players come up with an ingenious solution to save their asses and the world they're toast at that point. I run Cthulhu for the atmospheric horror storytelling aspect, not the math games.

I really wanted to get a few pairs of Cthulu's to use as book ends... But now i want to paint each one a different color to make a skittles Cthulu brigade..... or would that be Care-Cthulus?

Taste the Rainbow! ... yuck. No wonder people go mad.

What part of, "Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." don't you understand?

• Like 1